Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

is this reed problem

When ski started to flush out. The ski idles low then suddenly revs up on its own . It is like the throttle being pulled. But its not being touched any ideas thanks

+1
    Did it rev up to full throttle? A condition called lean runaway can cause that: lean runaway is caused by an air leak. If that is the case, likely places for leaks are air intake manifold or crank seal. Pressure testing the engine finds a leak.
    Typically with a lean runaway pulling the lanyard out of start/stop switch doesn't shut down the motor, nor does pulling plug wires. You have to either plug the exhaust or flood it with fuel.

Or you have a carb issue, when was the last time carbs were rebuilt?

Its an efi o7 gpr . it cuts out when pull lanyard . ill look at air intake to see if anything wrong thanks for ideas

+1
    My GP1300's always idle up a little when I turn the water on to flush them, but not a lot. If they rev way up it could be an issue. Mine wouldn't idle when I cracked a reed off, so I doubt it's the reed. If there is an issue causing it, I agree it is likely an air leak, check the crank seals and the intake seals around reed cage and throttle body boots.. If it's a gp1300. it could also be clogged fuel injectors.

It idles but seems as it is going to stall the n revs up. Going to yake off throttle bodies to check everything .just hope it not crank seals i havnt changed them. How do u check crank seals cheers

+1
    Checking the crank seals is kind of a pain. You need a block off kit to block off the intake and exhaust so you can pump air into the engine and see if it holds pressure, or you can use tape like in this video.

From what you described I would pull and clean the fuel injectors before I would be checking the crank seals. What year is your GP, pre 2005 with a PV or post 2005 non PV? Are you the original owner? Original Engine? How many hours on it? I have 2 2005's and the one that is untouched and original has 140 hrs with great compression and purrs like a kitten (after I pulled the fuel injectors and cleaned them last season) My modified one has been rebuilt 3 times with 150 hrs on it. Point is if you don't mod them too much and keep them tuned well, they last good time. When it starts running rough, it's telling you something. If you keep riding it, that something can toast your engine very easily.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gprr View Post
    It idles but seems as it is going to stall the n revs up. Going to yake off throttle bodies to check everything .just hope it not crank seals i havnt changed them. How do u check crank seals cheers

Its a 07 with 170 hours just had head skimmed and put 4deg keyway in power filter . It has 125 across all three had 40thou skimmed do u need to put washers on head bolts ? Iwas told u dont but just think that compression seems low with skim i would have thought 140 . Since mods havnt run ski yet thanks for help

+1
    Ok, if you shaved the head and have a keyway, you need to add a fuel controller. Did you? Once you add mods like those, it runs lean and will fry your engine. Read up on it here. http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=64736

Powershot se at 5 5.5 0 crossover 0 4 4 thanks i will have s look at ebox just incase of ht problem . I changed them to msd also going to check intake injectors reeds thanks for advice i will post findings monday

+1
    Ok, I have had my ground come loose and the unit doesn't power up, so you might check that as well. The ski will run, but lean and no lights light come on on the controller. I look forward to your update.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information