Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yamaha EX

Yamaha EX

I went to the Boat show on Saturday and talked to a Dealer. They are offering me a new 2018 Ex Deluxe for $8000 with a 5 year warranty if I buy it buy Monday. I wondering about 3 things.
    1. How are these stable with 2 people?
    2. How bad are they in 1-3' waves, typical Great Lakes chop.
    3. Do they have any security or can anyone with a lanyard start your ski? Or can you get a remote like the Vx series?

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Read the online Watercraft Journal review, for a start.

Also read the EXR review, which might further illuminate what the base EX is good for.

Do you have experience riding the Great Lakes on a PWC?
    Last edited by K447; 01-20-2019 at 08:32 PM.

Yes about 5 years on a Sea Doo 1996 GSX. I've watched several reviews but they all look like ideal conditions not what I normally saw in Sandusky Bay and Lake Erie

On the GSX I could adjust the vts for the conditions.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Bighorn1500 View Post
    Yes about 5 years on a Sea Doo 1996 GSX. I've watched several reviews but they all look like ideal conditions not what I normally saw in Sandusky Bay and Lake Erie
    I have not ridden the EX or EXR (not yet, anyways). I do know a few racers who ride the Spark (stock class), and they said the stock class EX ‘ran away from them’ in rough/choppy water. Better overall grip on the water, and the EX hull seemed to manage the waves well.

When I have ridden a tuned Spark is it was fun, but for me in rough water it felt like riding a bobbing cork at speed. Bouncing right out of the water.

I suppose it depends what kind of riding you want to do. Jumping waves and generally not travelling distance, maybe the EX/EXR would be an interesting choice.

We typically ride distance (rode over 2000 miles in 201 and often on non-smooth waters, so the Yamaha VXR hull or the new FX hull would be preferred.

Thanks for the help.

+1
    I went to the Boat show on Saturday and talked to a Dealer. They are offering me a new 2018 Ex Deluxe for $8000 with a 5 year warranty if I buy it buy Monday. I wondering about 3 things.
    3. Do they have any security or can anyone with a lanyard start your ski? Or can you get a remote like the Vx series?
    Its a little late now, but im 250lbs and can ride with both of my kids 160lbs and 90lbs but its a little sketchy. just one kid is perfectly fine.
    I hate it in the waves, but im also comparing to a 2000 GPR and a 2018 GP1800
    no security, although the one time i locked up my GP, it wouldnt unlock and i was 10 miles from my truck and the other keypad, so i dont like it or trust it at all.

+1

EX

With two experienced people the EX is pretty stable. Like reaper said, the weight makes a difference.
    Not a great ride in big chop or waves because it is a smaller and lighter craft than most. I dont know why people compare it to a bigger boat, or even a spark. Each one has its pros and cons.
    There is no security remote on the EX unless they put one on the 19’s
    EX is not a long range cruiser at speeds over 30-35. At 45 you are 3/4 throttle and sucking gas.
    8k for a deluxe is an ok deal. Not a great deal IMO.

Thanks for all your help. I'm leaning toward a stx15f instead, unless I find a good deal on something used.

Thanks for all your help. I'm leaning toward a stx15f instead, unless I find a good deal on something used.
    That is the best ski in the category!!! Super reliable, good speed 62/63, good low end nice looking and sounds good too! My brother in law has 2 2017s that he paid 20k for including the trailer brand new. The stx15f is head and shoulders above the base vx and any ex. If I wanted a second ski for my wife this is what I would buy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information