+1

What axle load rating to choose?

Should I go with the 2,000 or the 3,500 lbs max rated axle?? And no, there's no in-between offerings in this product line.

If I had a "common" run-of-the-mill PWC trailer, the 2,000 would likely be right. However, my loaded-up fishing ski + my custom trailer is likely clocking-in around 1,200 lbs !! I don't know if there be a thumb-rule, but the 3,500 axle would put my current ride weight at about a 1/3rd of total. Would that be too stiff/bouncey, or just right?

Background story:

So I have a very awesome custom trailer for my '05 Yahama FX (yes heavy SMC hull). It was converted (chopped) from a larger boat trailer. Nice aluminum I-beams. So this thing is quite "beefy" (heavy-duty) for PWC application. But I love it !

The problem is my current axle system is (surprisingly) squatting down to it's limits. Oh, did I mention my situation is made further unique in that my current axles are Timbren (2,000 lbs total). Either I miscalculated the max load rating I need, or the Timbren products are not accurate about their true handling capacity. Or maybe Timbren's just plain-ol suck. Well, I now got a good two seasons out of them, so time to switch them out. I'd consider re-buying the next size up (3,200) but OMG they are very pricey. Hey, fool me once.

Fast-forward to now. Now I'm looking at Torsion, specifically half-torsion by Flexiride. Two things lean me towards these: a) there are no voids inside to trap saltwater, b) regardless, there are not full axles that accommodate my custom 52" trailer width. So with these halves I can add my own 52" cross-beam support.

+1
    Update:
    So I had an opportunity to speak directly to the Flexiride manufacturer on the phone - actually an engineer graciously made himself available…. Yes, there is a thumb-rule, and the way they recommend sizing there product is to use a 1.25 factor on the gross weight expected, then choose the nearest size up (not down). This strategy splits the middle-ground on ride quality and product life.
    Also, regarding the full axle systems, the "tube" does not flood and trap water, like in traditional "corded" torsion systems. <-- given us saltwater riders, this is great news!!

Considering the 1400# 2000# & 3500# options :
    So in my situation, I’m projecting 1,200 lbs of ski + sprung trailer weight, which factors out to 1,500 lbs. That means the 2,000 lbs is the recommended choice.

Next, they don’t produce axles directly, and instead have a licensed vendor network. These vendors have the ability to assemble/fabricate full axles to their customer needs. So I’ve requested a quote & lead–time on a 2,000# full axle setup of custom width, fully galvanized, having the built-in prescribed toe-in & camber offsets. We'll see . . .

3. +1 by:

Well, I just learned a bunch of things I did not know; thank ye fer postin’ this!

+1
    Likely 90% of the PWC community have an a-typical PWC trailer, so they likely need not relate to this thread. My application is quite unique given I repurposed/resurected an existing boat trailer to accomidate my fishing PWC. Trial and error, the Timbren product at 2,000 lbs rating turned out under rated. I hope the equivalant rated Flexiride product performs much better. It is a promising product given the corded design of conventional torsion concepts permit voids where saltwater can get trapped. Flexiride has a solid core, so no voids.

Thanks for showing interest. I will post updates as they come.

+1
    I have another update:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FR_2500.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	115.8 KB 
ID:	445007

I have finally acquired a new Flexiride torsion axle 2,500 lbs. Brackets are a custom 50" wide. This thing is beefy - same as the 3,500 lbs, but with slightly shorten rubber cartridges inside. All galvanized.
    Those spinal arms are completely adjustable (for final ride height).

Looks like I'm going to have a spring-time (excuse the pun) project

Thread Information