Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Brand new ski question

Hello all, newbie here with a newbie question,

just bought a brand new GP 1800 and itís my first jet ski ever owned so bear with me lol. Was waiting at the dealer for them to prep it and the tech did all the regular assembly things and then started the ski and quickly revved it up like 3 times and turned it off. Is that not bad for the motor? Or Iím just overthinking stupid things? Was told by them that that is done to every ski that leaves their shop. Thanks!

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome

Dealer prep is a one time event for your ski, and the tech has a bunch of things to check and verify. That would include engine start, throttle response, and whether any error codes occur when the engine revs. The engine will be just fine.

Should you start and rev a cold engine every time you use the ski? No.

Read the ownerís manual, front to back. Do the recommended engine break-in process (not complicated, just takes a little time). After a couple of running hours you will be able to fully enjoy your new GP1800 (if it is a 2019 model it is GP1800R).

3. +1 by:

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    I will mention, it can be worthwhile to spend some time under the seat. Learn where all the important components are located.

Use a nutdriver tool to check every hose clamp for correct tightness. Donít overtighten the clamps, just verify they are all properly snug.

5. +1 by:

Awesome thanks for the peace of mind!

+1
    Well worth reading the manual and watching some videos

Don’t want Tom end up like https://watercraftjournal.com/stande...cued-capsized/

+1

Personally, I cringe that a dealer does that on a cold motor. Wonder what camp they subscribe too... not sure I caught that technique in Yamaha's prescribed break-in guidance... That said, if that negatively affected the engine, I'd imagine that would have come back to bite them, right. So, lets just say "Yay Yamaha" for manufacturing such a resilant motor.

9. +1 by:

+1
    I would worry ten seconds about it.

+1
    some people actually think revving is good to let gasses push behind the rings to seat them better to the cylinder wall. does anyone really know if its good or bad.
    who knows?
    would i worry about them doing it - not a second.
    I would recommend when riding always let it idle some to let some heat get in engine before doing wide open runs.

+1
    Careful !!! Referencing engine break-in techniques is almost as taboo as starting oil threads ! LOL

I'd say neither good nor bad - rather dependent on the engine build. I'm in the camp that hard-break-ins are not necessary nor productive on these 4 strokes, because the cylinder walls are not all that aggressively honed in the 1st place to be able to shape the rings. But, let's say for the sake of discussion the walls were aggressively honed . . . simply rev'ing high rpms for a few seconds wouldn't sufficiently load the rings.

13. +1 by:

Since I have everyone here I will try to take care of all my newbie questions and worries in one thread lol. So my 2018 GP 1800 came with a flaw from the factory that’s I still have to fix but for now I just manually hold it straight with my hand. The red part of the hose flush hose came pretty badly kinked from factory. So ofcourse when I hooked it up to the hose to flush it after an ocean ride it started giving me the overheat warnings with the beeping and light after it warmed up. So I shut it off and let it cool for a bit and tried again(not yet realizing the flush hose was kinked). When I turned it on again and started the hose it started beeping again, so I let it run until the beeping stopped but the light was still on (like 30 seconds). There was water flow but not nearly enough I guess. So after like 30 seconds I just shut it off and called it a night. So my question/concern is how long before these motors will overheat to the point of actual damage to the motor? And I have heard that they will shut themselves off before any damage is done, is this true? Thanks again!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information