Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question RXT-X 300 Octane Question

I just purchased a new 2019 RXT-X 300 and 2019 GTX 230 (not yet in my possession - so can't check the books on this one and can't find online). What is the octane recommendation on these? I think most of the marinas around here sell 90 octane (will need to double check -- thats what I've always put in the boat so haven't specifically looked for anything higher). Is that fine to run in both the 300 and 230?

+1
    Itíll run on 87, but the higher octane the better; they sell 91 on my lake.

Quote Originally Posted by crispywake View Post
    I just purchased a new 2019 RXT-X 300 and 2019 GTX 230 (not yet in my possession - so can't check the books on this one and can't find online). What is the octane recommendation on these? I think most of the marinas around here sell 90 octane (will need to double check -- thats what I've always put in the boat so haven't specifically looked for anything higher). Is that fine to run in both the 300 and 230?
    Congrats on your new purchase. May i also add that it is very important you install a catch can onto your 300 ski ASAP.
    Do some minor research in GreenHulk and you will learn of the major performance robbing issue.

We own (2) 2018 Seadoo 300's. A GTX limited 300 and a RXTX 300.
    We have always used 93 octane on the ski's since engine break in, I cannot comment on using a lesser grade fuel.
    But I would recommend using this (93 octane) fuel only, I have read that the ECU recognizes the fuel mixture and has built in Ignition/Timing charts to take advantage of the fuel type.

Basically using lesser grade will rob you of the performance the machine is capable of . ( $ to HP ratio)

I hate to answer a question with a question , Does any tuner/owner know what is the highest Octane that a stock ECU machine can use and maximize using its built in ECU tuning?
    A knowledgeable response here would be greatly appreciated also.

​All the best and welcome to the family

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadknotz View Post
    Congrats on your new purchase. May i also add that it is very important you install a catch can onto your 300 ski ASAP.
    Do some minor research in GreenHulk and you will learn of the major performance robbing issue.

We own (2) 2018 Seadoo 300's. A GTX limited 300 and a RXTX 300.
    We have always used 93 octane on the ski's since engine break in, I cannot comment on using a lesser grade fuel.
    But I would recommend using this (93 octane) fuel only, I have read that the ECU recognizes the fuel mixture and has built in Ignition/Timing charts to take advantage of the fuel type.

Basically using lesser grade will rob you of the performance the machine is capable of . ( $ to HP ratio)

I hate to answer a question with a question , Does any tuner/owner know what is the highest Octane that a stock ECU machine can use and maximize using its built in ECU tuning?
    A knowledgeable response here would be greatly appreciated also.

​All the best and welcome to the family
    Thank you! I am VERY excited to be part of the family Will check out the catch cans also, thank you.

I am very interested in your question as well about different octanes and what/how the engine actually utilizes them. Obviously I want what's best for the engines and to get the best performance, but also would really prefer not to have to drive to the gas station, drive back, and lug 30+ gallons of gas down a hill to the dock in order to fuel them each time if I can just cruise out to the marina on the water and fill it up. I know I can get at least 90 from the marinas here. Is there a significant performance difference between 90 and 93 to these engines? Would 90 do any damage or mucking up of anything over time? What does the manual actually say, and are the 300 and 230 the same?

They'll be kept on ports on the lake, so I don't have the ability to fill them up at a gas station on the way out. How does everyone else fuel up and what octane are you using? At a gas station on a trailer? Lug gas cans around? At a marina? Are you using ethanol gas, especially if you keep them on the lake? I don't even know that I can get 93 non-ethanol here. So many gas questions!

+1
    For my RXT-260 the specified minimum octane is 91 but the ECU will compensate if a lower octane is used (down to 87). I lug 6 gallon cans to it since I keep it on a lift at my vacation home. I use the highest octane available (93 in my area) since I know that I can only get 90 octane on the water. I wouldn't worry about ethanol-if you use it up in a reasonable amount of time and put a stabilizer in it when you store it, you should be fine.

Also, I'm one of those who don't think a catch can is necessary on a stock machine. The amount of blow by of oil should be negligible and if it isn't there is probably something wrong with the engine.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by pro1200 View Post
    For my RXT-260 the specified minimum octane is 91 but the ECU will compensate if a lower octane is used (down to 87). I lug 6 gallon cans to it since I keep it on a lift at my vacation home. I use the highest octane available (93 in my area) since I know that I can only get 90 octane on the water. I wouldn't worry about ethanol-if you use it up in a reasonable amount of time and put a stabilizer in it when you store it, you should be fine.

Also, I'm one of those who don't think a catch can is necessary on a stock machine. The amount of blow by of oil should be negligible and if it isn't there is probably something wrong with the engine.
    That's right, a catch can isn't NECESSARY. It is DESIRABLE as it greatly reduces the amount of oil mist traveling through the intake track where is can collect in the intercooler and ducting of any ski, stock or modified. The best part, you can choose to do this or not.

Quote Originally Posted by 1tommygunner1927 View Post
    That's right, a catch can isn't NECESSARY. It is DESIRABLE as it greatly reduces the amount of oil mist traveling through the intake track where is can collect in the intercooler and ducting of any ski, stock or modified. The best part, you can choose to do this or not.
    I would recommend you not spread "Opinionated information".

Based on multiple sources here , myself , my brothers ski and the entire Jet ski club ( 14 + 300 owners i know) I am involved in. The Catch is NECESSARY & not DESIRABLE for all 300 ski's.
    What a joke, thats like a doctor saying " working out Or this pill is not necessary to prevent severe illness, it is only desirable" hilarious.
    Why not maintain a healthy machine? its your investment.

I wont get into the back and forth and into the details why. The forum is littered with the evidence and reasoning why the product is needed for a STOCK machine.
    As a Owner of a STOCK 2018 RXTX 300 jetski I recommend it. At 12 Hrs I had a half cup of blowby sitting in my intercooler. How i knew, a jetski mechanic bet me I had oil in the intercooler when doing the 25 HR basic visual inspection. I told him impossible and he pulled my inter cooler plumbing to take a phone video to show me the residue. Only to meet my now jet ski club and have this conversation with multiple folk.

Please dont place your investment in the hands of a " internet forum guru " and do the research for yourself and let us know what YOU come up with.

I am only making this recommendation to help and nor do I have manufacturing ties.

Spend $150 versus be in the hole for a new intercooler w labor costs or having to deal with BRP warranty headaches.

Be preventative not reactive my friend.

Let us know what YOU come up with.

Regards.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreadknotz View Post
    I would recommend you not spread "Opinionated information".

Based on multiple sources here , myself , my brothers ski and the entire Jet ski club ( 14 + 300 owners i know) I am involved in. The Catch is NECESSARY & not DESIRABLE for all 300 ski's.
    What a joke, thats like a doctor saying " working out Or this pill is not necessary to prevent severe illness, it is only desirable" hilarious.
    Why not maintain a healthy machine? its your investment.

I wont get into the back and forth and into the details why. The forum is littered with the evidence and reasoning why the product is needed for a STOCK machine.
    As a Owner of a STOCK 2018 RXTX 300 jetski I recommend it. At 12 Hrs I had a half cup of blowby sitting in my intercooler. How i knew, a jetski mechanic bet me I had oil in the intercooler when doing the 25 HR basic visual inspection. I told him impossible and he pulled my inter cooler plumbing to take a phone video to show me the residue. Only to meet my now jet ski club and have this conversation with multiple folk.

Please dont place your investment in the hands of a " internet forum guru " and do the research for yourself and let us know what YOU come up with.

I am only making this recommendation to help and nor do I have manufacturing ties.

Spend $150 versus be in the hole for a new intercooler w labor costs or having to deal with BRP warranty headaches.

Be preventative not reactive my friend.

Let us know what YOU come up with.

Regards.
    Better read my responding comment a second time.

Lake Lion
    +1
    This is some of the oil on the flame arrester of an 11 hour RXT-X before we put this catch can on.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image000000_02.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	124.3 KB 
ID:	443797
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image000000.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	58.8 KB 
ID:	443795   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image000000_01.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	73.8 KB 
ID:	443796  

Lake Lion
    +1
    Looks necessary to me. Unless, of course, you want that Spy Hunter smoke screen effect on your ski. And enjoy reducing the octane in your CC.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information