'01 Virage 1200 DFI wiring harness vs '03 MSX 140 wiring harness

I have a '01 Virage TX with a bad LR503 in the electric box and a complete wiring harness from a '03 MSX 140 w/the start-stop-bilge buttons. Will the MSX harness interchange in the Virage? Is there any progress being made on repairing or cloning LR503's?

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    The MSX 140 start and buttons will directly plug into the Virage wire harness connectors, if my fuzzy memory serves.
    (Note: The MSX 110/150 buttons work slightly differently).

Last year (and the years before) I had a 1999 Genesis FFI that was giving me trouble. As part of the diagnostics I removed the single button Start/Stop handlebar piece *. In its place I clamped a two button control from an MSX 140, IIRC. I think the part number would be the same on older non-Virage, non-Genesis models.

The wire harness connectors for the start and switches are actually the same, MSX 140 vs. Virage/Genesis.

This relieves the LR-503 module of any need to be involved in the start/stop functionality. Battery charge control is done by the EMM on a Ficht engine.

All that remains is the LR hookup related to the MFI security function. If you don’t care about that, the LR-503 can be deleted/bypassed entirely.

* The Sumitomo connectors have an unusual release tab. Somewhere it is posted how to easily get the plastic latch to release so the connector can be unplugged. Once you know how, it is easy to do.

Thank you, Keith My trouble is the stop button won't shut it off, the perv reverse won't work and the bilge pump won't run. I'm thinking the LR503 controls all these, correct?

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Does pulling the lanyard stop the engine? If yes, then keep reading.

You can replace the LR-503 with a simpler LR module that just activates the Orange wire, which in turn powers the bilge pump and the PERC electric reverse.

Since this is a Ficht engine, you cannot use a normal LR module from a carburetor engine. The carb engine’s voltage regulator LR circuit might not get along with the EMM voltage regulation, or the tachometer signal function.

Polaris LR-50 and LR-52 are special LR modules (from the Fuji engine era) that provide switched Orange wire output but do not provide voltage regulation. You can use either of these.

Or you might be able to find another ‘half-good’ LR-503 that still has a working Orange wire output, even if the start/stop function is not working.

Thanks again Keith, in your first reply you mentioned your fuzzy memory, I wish I knew half of of what your fuzzy memory recalls

Thread Information