Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post
    Keep in mind that I have the parts, but I have NOT installed them yet. You might wait until I do it, as it's not as simple as installing grips on a bicycle.

I'll see if I can install a set this coming weekend. I'll post some instructions if I get time.
    Please do because I am interested in these grips. They're certainly comfortable. But I imagine they're like installing grips on a motorcycle.. a big pain in the ass.

+1
    Do these bars have a curve to them? From the picture, they look straight.

+1
    They are straight, but they are keyed on the end to prevent rotation. They would have to be aligned properly on the bars, then the bars keyed to hold the grips in the right position, then the bars would have to be sealed.

+1
    They are straight, but they are keyed on the end to prevent rotation. They would have to be aligned properly on the bars, then the bars keyed to hold the grips in the right position, then the bars would have to be sealed.
    I'm all sorts of confused. Keyed? ends with keyed grips? As it stands right now, my stock bars have the stock grips and the ends are capped? No water is getting inside them. But I don't know how I feel about the aftermarket bars being straight. I like the relaxed feel of the stock bars.

+1
    Well, the grips are not 'keyed', exactly, they are notched.

+1
    this might fit, if not can probably do a little cutting

https://www.protaper.com/product/3/2...pad/blackblack

You can buy them in all different degrees, you just have to figure out which one works best for you. Check the website out, there are other manufacturers also

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by LoveBrisk View Post
    Please do because I am interested in these grips. They're certainly comfortable. But I imagine they're like installing grips on a motorcycle.. a big pain in the ass.
    I started on this today, but didn't have time to finish. Here are some pictures of removing the old grips and starting the notching.

I started by cutting the end of the handlebar off. A friend of mine tried to strip the grip off of this Ultra 150 last week before cutting the end off and it was rather difficult.

Next, fillet the old grip and remove it. It's glued on, not much fun.

Remove the glue and this is what it looks like:

The new grip is shorter than the existing grip. There is a gap because of this AND the notch at the end of the grip.

You can accomplish this in one cut by measuring from the throttle/kill switch 4.35" and cutting the bar there.

In this photo, I am beginning the notch. I had to sit on the 'Ski and figure how I wanted the grip positioned. I marked the grip to show the approximate position of the notch, then slowly started cutting the notch with a die grinder.

When completed, the notch will extend up to the black mark on the bar. I just cut the notch about 1/8" deep and made it longer and longer until the grip would fit into it. I then checked it for proper angle before cutting the notch deeper.

This is where I am with it right now. I hope to work on it some more later this week and get the notch to full depth. After that, I'll have to figure out a way to seal the bar and lock the grip in place. I think I'll just end up making a plastic plug and gluing it in place with 3M 5022 and drilling/tapping it, then I'll put a stainless screw through the end of the grip into the plug.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hand Grip Upgrade 1.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	53.6 KB 
ID:	443800   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hand Grip Upgrade 2.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	227.3 KB 
ID:	443801   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hand Grip Upgrade 4.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	245.0 KB 
ID:	443802   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hand Grip Upgrade 5.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	277.2 KB 
ID:	443803   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hand Grip Upgrade 6.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	225.9 KB 
ID:	443804   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hand Grip Upgrade 7.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	41.6 KB 
ID:	443805  

9. +1 by:

+1
    I started on this today, but didn't have time to finish. Here are some pictures of removing the old grips and starting the notching.

I started by cutting the end of the handlebar off. A friend of mine tried to strip the grip off of this Ultra 150 last week before cutting the end off and it was rather difficult.

Next, fillet the old grip and remove it. It's glued on, not much fun.

Remove the glue and this is what it looks like:

The new grip is shorter than the existing grip. There is a gap because of this AND the notch at the end of the grip.

You can accomplish this in one cut by measuring from the throttle/kill switch 4.35" and cutting the bar there.

In this photo, I am beginning the notch. I had to sit on the 'Ski and figure how I wanted the grip positioned. I marked the grip to show the approximate position of the notch, then slowly started cutting the notch with a die grinder.

When completed, the notch will extend up to the black mark on the bar. I just cut the notch about 1/8" deep and made it longer and longer until the grip would fit into it. I then checked it for proper angle before cutting the notch deeper.

This is where I am with it right now. I hope to work on it some more later this week and get the notch to full depth. After that, I'll have to figure out a way to seal the bar and lock the grip in place. I think I'll just end up making a plastic plug and gluing it in place with 3M 5022 and drilling/tapping it, then I'll put a stainless screw through the end of the grip into the plug.
    This is a really good write up - however a little more extensive than I would care to adventure. I've decided to stay with my stockbars. I found a center pad that fit perfectly. So no need to install new grips. How ever I would take these pictures and post them up in a separate thread. I'm sure this would be great information for later use.

Quote Originally Posted by LoveBrisk View Post
    This is a really good write up - however a little more extensive than I would care to adventure. I've decided to stay with my stockbars. I found a center pad that fit perfectly. So no need to install new grips. How ever I would take these pictures and post them up in a separate thread. I'm sure this would be great information for later use.
    What bar pad did you end up using or fitted ??

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information