GPS Install on 2008 GTX - Help Please!

I'm trying to install a 4" Garmin Echomap on my ski, and I'm quickly learning that this model GTX doesn't have any great locations. And with the age of the ski, I've had no luck finding videos or threads either. I've identified three possible mounting locations (aside from the glove box lid).

1) The almost flat spot right in front of the gauges (pic 1). I knew there was a wire protector/hose carrying the gauge wiring down behind the front cover and into the hull (pic 2), and my plan was to access this to run the power and transducer wires. So I took the cover off and was disappointed to see that the hose is very short and the wires are coming in way down close to the hinge with a very specialized rubber seal that it doesn't look like I'll be able to utilize (pic 3). I was hoping it would be up much higher, near the gauges, and away from the water zone. I'm very uncomfortable now doing anything that might compromise the integrity of this seal. So I'm thinking that's a dead end.

2) There is actually a spot on the top left of the handlebars which may work (pic 4). But after removing a few obvious screws, I cannot seems to pry the bottom steering cover off, and I don't want to break it. Plus I don't know if there will be room up in that area once I get underneath, nor do I know if there will be another tight rubber seal blocking my path down inside the steering column. Is anyone familiar with this steering section to add some insight?

3) I can do a side mount on the left side by attaching a RAM mount to the black plastic trim, then using a Hobie port and running the wires through the hull behind it. It looks like I can get that trim piece off be removing the hex screws inside the hull, and, when reinstalled, it will actually serve as a first layer of defense to keep the initial splash away from the Hobie port. Only downside here is the $55 RAM mount and how it will become very top heavy since it mounts to the bottom of the factory mount (pic).

So that's what's up. If anyone has tips, pics, insight...I'd really appreciate it!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RAM-B-101-G4.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	36.0 KB 
ID:	443456   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gauge Mount.jpg 
Views:	194 
Size:	73.8 KB 
ID:	443452   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wiring hose.jpg 
Views:	186 
Size:	70.0 KB 
ID:	443453   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wiring entry point.jpg 
Views:	184 
Size:	125.2 KB 
ID:	443454   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Steering Mount.jpg 
Views:	190 
Size:	84.9 KB 
ID:	443455  

I'm planning to do something similar on my '08 GTI.

Have you thought about a flushmount on the handlebar cover similar to this thread (post #2)?

http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthre...t=chartplotter

+1
    Can you mount a RAM ball somewhere on the steering cover ? This is what I did on my RXT-X which is a little easier due to the exposed hardware.

I have a BRP glove box cover for your model that will work with the Garmin 76 series if you want to try and modify it, you can have it for the cost of shipping.

Name:	Ram Mount 2.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	54.2 KB 
ID:	443527   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ram Mount 1.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	62.5 KB 
ID:	443528  

I don't know if this will help or not since I don't have a 2008, but on my 2018 I was able to install mine on the handlebar pad. This has worked out great.

Name:	YfTOFQl.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	128.1 KB 
ID:	443529  

Wow that looks sharp centered on the steering. Did you drill through the foam and then bolt it to the metal handlebar brackets? I was disappointed to see that unit only had the two bolting points diagonal from each other. Doesn't exactly give you much to work with. I had a hell of a time trying to get the steering cover off and didn't want to bugger it up. So I've decided to use a RAM mount screwed onto the side plastic sides.

Follow-up question. I'm doing a stern mount on the transom and will be running the cable up over the deck. There is a gap in the foam mats between the center and side pieces, which will work nicely to recess it. I was thinking I would tape off the area and then carefully bury the wire with black silicone to keep it in place and stop it from getting caught on anything. Do you guys know if silicone will stick to that gel coat pretty well, or should I use something stronger, like an epoxy?

Quote Originally Posted by BrandonBarfield View Post
    Wow that looks sharp centered on the steering. Did you drill through the foam and then bolt it to the metal handlebar brackets? I was disappointed to see that unit only had the two bolting points diagonal from each other. Doesn't exactly give you much to work with. I had a hell of a time trying to get the steering cover off and didn't want to bugger it up. So I've decided to use a RAM mount screwed onto the side plastic sides.

Follow-up question. I'm doing a stern mount on the transom and will be running the cable up over the deck. There is a gap in the foam mats between the center and side pieces, which will work nicely to recess it. I was thinking I would tape off the area and then carefully bury the wire with black silicone to keep it in place and stop it from getting caught on anything. Do you guys know if silicone will stick to that gel coat pretty well, or should I use something stronger, like an epoxy?
    The handlebar pad on my 2018 is rubberized plastic. I drilled through that and modified the existing chart plotter mount to work with the handlebar pad. I don't know if that would work on a 2008. The RAM mount is a much easier way to go if you can find a position you're satisfied with.

For the transducer stern mount, I simply drilled a hole in the stern for the wire as per the instructions. That worked out great, but I can understand why you would be hesitant to drill into your deck, no one likes to do that. Still, that's what I would recommend as long as you properly seal the hole with a marine rated sealant.

If you want to do it the way you describe, I personally would not use ordinary silicone on a PWC, it doesn't seal effectively enough for marine purposes. There are much better products such as 3M 5200 Marine Sealant which is rated even for underwater applications. The link I provided is for black, which you wanted. Be aware that black 3M 5200 is not available in the fast cure formulation and can take up to a week to set up so another good marine sealant is Sika Sikaflex 291 Fast-Cure Marine Sealant which also comes in black.
    Last edited by pro10is; 01-13-2019 at 10:03 AM.

MSX 150 guy lives on Mr. GP1800's Avatar
    +1
    You could use sealant on the cable or buy a waterproof cable entry fitting to use if you sent want to just goop it up with sealant. Either way would work

I'm using a RAM mount on the side, but the trim piece I'm having to mount too isn't as sturdy/thick as I'd hoped. So I'm going to reinforce it with a layer of epoxy underneath after I drill my holes. I assume will dry hard when it cures. Then I'll install the mount with large flat washers and fill in the back side of all of it with a very thick bubble of silicone. That's the best reinforcement I can think of without machining some sort of back plate. I bought a stern saver mini to glue onto the stern, then screw the transducer to it. I bought some basic plastic cable clips which I plan to use to route the transducer wire up and over the deck. I'm going to ditch the sticky backs that came with them and instead attach those to the hull with the same epoxy that came with the stern saver (hoping there is leftover). I found a nice high spot on the hull to punch through. It's away from he water line, and under the rear grab handle. So it will be protected from the initial splash, and I'm going to seal it with a Hobie port and 5200. Same for the front. My cable hole will be under a piece of plastic trim, and not taking the initial splash directly. I think it's as good a plan as any, with no holes below the water line, and easily removable when not in use. I'll post pics when done.

Quote Originally Posted by BrandonBarfield View Post
    I'm using a RAM mount on the side, but the trim piece I'm having to mount too isn't as sturdy/thick as I'd hoped. So I'm going to reinforce it with a layer of epoxy underneath after I drill my holes. I assume will dry hard when it cures. Then I'll install the mount with large flat washers and fill in the back side of all of it with a very thick bubble of silicone. That's the best reinforcement I can think of without machining some sort of back plate. I bought a stern saver mini to glue onto the stern, then screw the transducer to it. I bought some basic plastic cable clips which I plan to use to route the transducer wire up and over the deck. I'm going to ditch the sticky backs that came with them and instead attach those to the hull with the same epoxy that came with the stern saver (hoping there is leftover). I found a nice high spot on the hull to punch through. It's away from the water line, and under the rear grab handle. So it will be protected from the initial splash, and I'm going to seal it with a Hobie port and 5200. Same for the front. My cable hole will be under a piece of plastic trim, and not taking the initial splash directly. I think it's as good a plan as any, with no holes below the water line, and easily removable when not in use. I'll post pics when done.
    Epoxy is a good filler and a decent adhesive, but it is not structural. I personally would not depend upon it to withstand the pounding a ski takes. On a Ram mount, the chart plotter sits up high and is going to encounter substantial forces to rock it in every direction. The Ram mount base is going to need to endure a lot of force. The weakest part will be your hull where it's mounted. You need to ensure the forces are well distributed. A brittle layer of epoxy is probably not going to be enough. If it cracks, it can then cause your hull to crack where you placed the ram mount. If it were mine, I would definitely use a large metal backing plate if the hull was too thin to withstand the forces on its own. Never rely on fillers to do structural work. You should fairly easily be able to make an aluminum or stainless backing plate. A little more work up front can save you the problem of a cracked hull later.

Also, do not rely on epoxy to attach the plastic cable clips. 3M 5200 is a much better choice for that. It's a better adhesive and much more flexible than epoxy. Use the fast cure for that and hold the clips in place with tape until it sets. Once set, it'll never come off on its own. 5200 is one of the strongest adhesives I've encountered. Be sure to first use denatured alcohol to thoroughly clean all surfaces before using any adhesive.

Finished

Finished!

Name:	Photo Jan 20, 9 44 33 PM.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	45.2 KB 
ID:	444278   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo Jan 19, 11 36 58 PM.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	43.2 KB 
ID:	444279   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo Jan 20, 10 46 53 PM.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	28.7 KB 
ID:	444280   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo Jan 25, 10 13 56 PM.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	51.5 KB 
ID:	444281   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo Jan 22, 12 04 00 PM.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	34.2 KB 
ID:	444282   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo Jan 22, 12 03 48 PM.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	45.5 KB 
ID:	444283  

Thread Information