Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    My name is Sean and I am addicted to STXs smokeysevin's Avatar
    +1
    Since you have an 03 without slo mode, you should be able to yank the gauge. It may fault to the 3000 rpm limit if you do though. I never messed with it though so ymmv

Sean

+1
    I ran it on the trailer again today just checking everything out. after 30 minutes or so i shut it off and was checking temperatures. Does the thru hull bearing and carrier get warm? it was warm which has me worried about the shaft alignment. No noises from the pump of course i am on a trailer..... never checked if it gets warm during use with the other ski and the manual is very limited discussion about pump engine alignment. I do know that if not just right it shortens the life considerably.

+1
    while I am waiting for a dedicated time block to pull the engine... hopefully tomorrow.. I built some mounts for the sediment filters that are going onto the intake lines. I know that the factory only had it for some years.... but sediment in the lines is what deadlined the skis for the previous owner (that and a lack of any after ride flushing lol).... I know that on the 900 STX i have to clean it out because of all of the vegetation matter that gets sucked up into the lines..... impeller shreds it up but it is enough that if introduced into the engine would definitely clog stuff up or settle in low flow areas inside the block.... better safe than sorry. they will be mounted above 1st waterbox.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190622_074354.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	57.1 KB 
ID:	449971  

+1
    Your jet pump already has a strainer in it. I put strainers in my Ultra LXs and found very little debris in the after running through so much sea grass that we had to paddle to shore.

If you're going to install a strainer, use the Groco WSB 500. Much better than those things.

+1
    Was able to lift the engine this afternoon and pull the driveshaft/ bearing carrier. All back together now. it gets warm still while on hose but much cooler than yesterday. I must have been putting some side pressure on it. I apparently had too much of a slather of rtv on one side and it went into the bolt hole and hardened before i tightened. All good now. Now to add 2 more bunks to the lift on the dock and launch it at the boat ramp down the road. Fingers crossed that the crappy display doesn't slow me down. Anyone have experience with just deleting the dash meter? The 2003 doesn't have slow mode other than the dreaded overheat/oil pressure issues. i may just drill a access port on it and soak in denatured Alcohol and then seal it back up.

My name is Sean and I am addicted to STXs smokeysevin's Avatar
    +1
    No need to drill holes, just pop the grommet off the back and you have access.

Even though the alcohol shouldn't cause issues I would probably not soak it. It could mess up the polarizing film.

Sean

+1
    Sean,

Thanks I will let you know if it helps

+1
    So I think the project phase is complete. I had to reconnect the cooling lines to the muffler as I had done the single waterbox mod and ditched the 2nd waterbox. The hull exit line was hooked up on the bottom fitting. water was going out the line vs going thru the muffler. This was not enough water for the muffler cooling and was close to 160 degrees. Was curling the strap.

Reversed the lines to where water coming from intake side of block was on bottom fitting of waterbox. I used the latest single waterbox fitting for the 15F which is more restrictive to the fitting on the exhaust side of the block. With the redirection of water the temp dropped to 104-115 with 82 degree river water.

Dash meter still inop and I have to disconnect battery after riding. All in all not a bad deal since I paid 600 dollars for two poorly maintained skis and invested about 1k in parts on each ski. Manuals were invaluable and labor and time was mine to spend and now I know all the answers for jetski jeopardy.

Got to ride with my son today and it was awesome. The 12f definitely will swap ends but is very stable to ride.

We have been able to put 100 hours on the 900stx since it has come up and expect to do the same with the 12f. The gas mileage seems to be much better with the 12f.

Will probably need to replace the impeller as it is right at service limit now but will hold off till next season. Steering cable seems a little tight and will address that also next season.

I appreciate all of the thoughtful input from folks on the forum in bringing me up to speed for the repairs.

Only things that came loose during the shakedown cruise was two of the intake nuts came off. Redid again with lock tight and torqued them in.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190630_165741.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	84.2 KB 
ID:	450273   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190630_165808.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	64.2 KB 
ID:	450274   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190630_165847.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	47.6 KB 
ID:	450276  
    Last edited by madtom; 07-01-2019 at 03:02 PM.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post
    Your jet pump already has a strainer in it. I put strainers in my Ultra LXs and found very little debris in the after running through so much sea grass that we had to paddle to shore.

If you're going to install a strainer, use the Groco WSB 500. Much better than those things.
    I have taken your advice and hooked up to the pump. I know on the 900 since it only has a fitting coming from the pump it picks up any vegetation the pump eats. 12f seems to keep it out.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information