Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    +1

Yamaha - yes, thinking of changing

I have a 2018 230 GTX. One thing I never got accustomed to is the roughness at idle. To me, the ski is not very refined.

Anyone know if the Yamaha would have less slow speed vibration?

Or, do I need to move up to the GTX 300? That is a lot different than the 230. Is the 300 more refined than the 230?

Or is the slow speed roughness come with both Yamaha and BRP?

+1
    This imo is the best review of the FX i've seen, the presenter comes at it from an outside perspective as in to cater to first time buyers too! I know it doesnt answer your questions but you get an idea of the svho idle and no wake mode!
    Maybe it could at the very least give you a rough view

MSX 150 guy lives on Mr. GP1800's Avatar
    +1
    The Yamaha 1.8 is smooth running in all rpm ranges. It’s really a great motor. I have always thought the sea doo motors sounded kind of rough and unrefined. Maybe the new 300s are better I have never been on a 300. Or it’s a 3 vs 4 cylinder thing

+1
    My Seadoo idles at 1,700 RPM and is unrefined at that RPM but does smooth out once off idle...I mean slow forward.

With the boat shows starting here a few weeks I will be at a decision point. There is a lot go like about the 2018 Seadoo. The hull is great for a smooth ride. The storage is great. But that 3 cylinder unrefined engine is hard to get use to...ugh

I watched the Yamaha video. Wow, that is a refined engine. And around the dock that was a lot better than my Seadoo.

+1
    I have a '17 GTR230 and haven't noticed any issues at idle so I doubt its an engine specific issue. Would be nice if you could run into someone with the same model to check if it acts the same. Maybe some sort of bearing, alignment issue, intake leak, who knows. Then again I'm not at idle much...usually on the pipe or standing on the sand with a cold one in my hand.

+1
    Odd cylinder number engine won't be as smooth as even number one. But, to say it's rough and unrefined to the point you can't get used to doesn't sound right. There's something not right with your machine.

If it's only "rough" when in neutral and smooths out when moving forward then what you're feeling is the jet redirected by the iBR. You have a bunch of trust hitting the bucket and getting redirected when in neutral.

If you run in salt stay away from an open loop ski.

Strangely, I find that since day 1 the GP1800 has had a worrisome vibration that I don't care for. It has almost 100 hours now so obviously nothing is wrong, but when you first break idle, taking off normally, it has a brief, hard vibration/shake throughout the whole machine. The non-supercharged same year 1800 does not do it.

I think some vibration/harshness is to be expected with huge horsepower in a tiny package. A 300hp car is respectable and usually has a large v6 or v8. Not a 1.? 3 or 4 cylinder

+1
    Ls1rx7 - I think you make a very good point. Little engine making big HP. Agree, this is a 'high strung' engine and not a relax low HP engine.

I do run in salt water and chose the Seadoo because of many factors. A closed loop system was a big reason.

The ski was brand new so I think everything is running right. Just that low speed lack of refinement bugs me.

Other than that I love the ski. I see the new redesigned Yamaha is out. I will take a look at it in the Boat Show at the end of this month. If the made the right changes I might switch but after posting on this forum, maybe not. The 2018 Seadoo really looks nice and is fun to ride.

That Yamaha video of maneuvering around the dock, wow, that is impressive. And it does seem to be more refined. But salt water might rule the decision to keep the Seadoo.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Ls1rx7 View Post
    Strangely, I find that since day 1 the GP1800 has had a worrisome vibration that I don't care for.

It has almost 100 hours now so obviously nothing is wrong, but when you first break idle, taking off normally, it has a brief, hard vibration/shake throughout the whole machine.

The non-supercharged same year 1800 does not do it.

Find another SVHO Yamaha to test ride. I think you will find the vibration is not present.

Despite the 100 running hours with the vibration symptom, I would suspect a possible driveline or alignment problem. Or perhaps an engine mount/alignment problem.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information