Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Ultra 150 Top End Rebuild Parts Help

I need help finding a good provider in parts replacement. SBT is about all I found and I have read nothing but bad things about them on this forum and others. I'm looking to get new/refurbished cylinders, get mine re-sleeved, or swap mine for refurbished ones as well as new pistons, rings, gaskets, etc. I live in NJ and other than contacting my local dirtbike store that I have dealt with for years or my machinist that does all my motor work for my drag car I don't know who else to go to. I have no relationship with anyone locally here that works on PWCs. I figured I would see what the forum has to offer. I rather stay with someone in the PWC community, specifically dealing with Kawasaki. I wouldn't take my drag car motor to the dirtbike shop and vice versa if that makes any sense. I have a 2001 Ultra 150. Compression and leak down tests weren't all that great. Before anything bad happens I want to rebuild the top end. Any and all help in advance would be greatly appreciated.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by punisher4711 View Post
    I need help finding a good provider in parts replacement. SBT is about all I found and I have read nothing but bad things about them on this forum and others. I'm looking to get new/refurbished cylinders, get mine re-sleeved, or swap mine for refurbished ones as well as new pistons, rings, gaskets, etc. I live in NJ and other than contacting my local dirtbike store that I have dealt with for years or my machinist that does all my motor work for my drag car I don't know who else to go to. I have no relationship with anyone locally here that works on PWCs. I figured I would see what the forum has to offer. I rather stay with someone in the PWC community, specifically dealing with Kawasaki. I wouldn't take my drag car motor to the dirtbike shop and vice versa if that makes any sense. I have a 2001 Ultra 150. Compression and leak down tests weren't all that great. Before anything bad happens I want to rebuild the top end. Any and all help in advance would be greatly appreciated.
    As far as cylinder replating Millinium Technologies is the very best in Nicasil stripping, recoating....they do all kinds of machine work....

You can order gaskets and all
    OEM parts you need for the Ultra 150 from the online store..

+1
    Do you have a shop manual?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post
    I do not....someone on here just might let you borrow one..

Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post
    yes I believe I downloaded a manual online somewhere. Iím on my phone right now but Iíll check my laptop in the morning and attach the link. I think itís for a 2002 Ultra 150.

Only difference between 01 and 02 is the electrical portion

+1
    If you're just doing a top end it's pretty easy, I use OEM Kawasaki parts.....absolutely no questions about quality.

Don't use OEM gaskets though, the metal OEM intake and exhaust gaskets seal horribly on older skis.

I've done two of these 1200 motors now and my advice is be sure to know why the engine failed in the first place. Also be sure the bottom end is in good condition and there are no air leaks such as crank seals as you will just waste your money and eat up another top end. Rebuild the carbs while they are off.

These motors can get pricey to fix real fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamescmei View Post
    If you're just doing a top end it's pretty easy, I use OEM Kawasaki parts.....absolutely no questions about quality.

Don't use OEM gaskets though, the metal OEM intake and exhaust gaskets seal horribly on older skis.

I've done two of these 1200 motors now and my advice is be sure to know why the engine failed in the first place. Also be sure the bottom end is in good condition and there are no air leaks such as crank seals as you will just waste your money and eat up another top end. Rebuild the carbs while they are off.

These motors can get pricey to fix real fast.
    The engine hasnít necessary failed. I had the heads off over the summer. The compression numbers were below recommended operating range according to the manual. The leak down test didnít yeild great results either. Other than ring wear at the top of the cylinder everything looked pretty good. Iíve worked on my fair share of 2 strokes over the last 20 years as well as motor work on my drag cars. And Iíve seen some nasty stuff in those 20 years. The motor is in good running shape. I just want to freshen it up, I donít want to half ass it and just buy rings or a piston kit. I think itís best to do the whole thing. Also I plan on rebuilding carbs, I already have the rebuild kits for that.

As for gaskets what do you recommend other than Kawasaki?

And youre right it does get pricy rebuilding these motors. Iím looking at $1000 just to rebuild the top end. Bought the ski with 90 hours on it this past spring for $1800. I think thatís a fair deal.

Wsm sells great gasket sets, pistons, rods ex.

+1
    I use US Chrome for the cylinders if need be, usually they have one in stock to swap for me. http://www.usnicom.com

Yeah WSM has gaskets I like, most aftermarket are ok, the OEM metal just seal poorly, especially around the reed cages. I use Threebond 1211 on them all anyway.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information