Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    +1

Skis of Significance: The 10 Most Important PWC of All Time

It’s difficult to properly project the future, but as one might find, looking back and tracing the trajectory that lead us to where we currently stand is quite easy. History has a way of clarifying how ripples made at one end of the pool can cascade into waves at the other end.

More at WatercraftJournal.Com

Bogus Hogwash!!! No X4!?! Absolutely disgusting and that's the nicest thing I can say about it. You can't leave that out of any respectable list. Should've been a list to 11 if you must include those others.

did you mean more sped hungry then the GP 1200R or ? you wrote the GP 1300R is more speed hungry then the Gp 1300R

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by BRP View Post
    did you mean more sped hungry then the GP 1200R or ? you wrote the GP 1300R is more speed hungry then the Gp 1300R
    You are misreading what was written. The article said "There were few watercraft more successful, more speed-hungry than the GP1300R. "
    He is making two comments towards the GP1300R: 1)few watercraft were as successful, and 2) few watercraft were as speed hungry.

5. +1 by:

+1
    Great write up Kevin. I enjoyed reading the article, took us back a little in time. Happy New Years!

Billy D

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Braley View Post
    Bogus Hogwash!!! No X4!?! Absolutely disgusting and that's the nicest thing I can say about it. You can't leave that out of any respectable list. Should've been a list to 11 if you must include those others.
    Which one specifically altered the trajectory of the industry, Matt?

95-96 XP
    97-99 SPX
    96 & 97 SPI
    97 SP

+1
    Great write up but there is one ski really missing and this is:
    GTX is 255 2009.
    This is the modern era benchmark as it introduced the IBR system, a great hull and most importantly an amazing amount og comfort unprecedented up to this day. For all those that never cared about top speed and weight reduction it is the king in rides.

The only negative (service room and ease of it) is Seadoos' fault, meaning they did not evolve it in such a degree to be easier.

Up to this day it is the single best ski for touring at that pesky small chop. Personal opinion mind you guys

Quote Originally Posted by Rustymuscle View Post
    Which one specifically altered the trajectory of the industry, Matt?

95-96 XP
    97-99 SPX
    96 & 97 SPI
    97 SP
    Thanks for reaching out and my apologies for such a strong reaction. After reading the title I dove in quickly to see what was said about the 96XP never considering that it wouldn't be included. I love a 95XP in both it's forms but the 1996 XP is truly the greatest "jetski" of all time. The last SPX's were a continuation of the model because it was too good to give up. I don't have the XP sales #'s from 96 but from what I understand they are large. It was the top offering from the top brand back in the heyday of the sport. The 110HP in that hull with the perfect balance of tipsyness, maneuverability, jump-ability, etc. is just magic. The race history of the model is as good as is gets too. Many many good people fell in love with the sport through that machine.

If I had to give up the 97XP spot in the list to fit in the 787 powered X4 I could do that. The 97 is not a magic machine. I have the first one(given to Dupriest Racing in the spring of 96 for development) and it's heavily modded now but I've spent lots of seat time on stock ones. As mentioned in the article, many of it's features were introduced years earlier in the HX and the new XP's weight made it slower than the previous XP. The handling of the new hull was no where near as good but it tackles choppy water better. It's OK but not as much fun.

I understand that I'm bias because I have raced and now buy, sell and rec ride X4's. I just think sheer numbers of units sold and the number of smiling faces in the years since is unmatched. I can't be the only one out there that feels like it needs a spot in any "skis of significance" list. The trajectory of the industry was altered away from the X4 nearly to it's demise. That's what's great about a Spark, how it's like an X4.

+1
    Matt, admittedly the '95 HX was going to be on the list because of its absolute decimation of the Sport class. The HX was so successful that it was almost immediately outlawed. It's still a ringer when it comes to heavily modified Sport Open/GP classes – heck, Macc rode one in Thailand last month.

But here's the rub: the HX was an unmitigated failure. SD produced the ski for only 2 years and lost its butt on the tooling costs. Yet, a huge portion of the technology and hull shaping carried over to the far more successful '97 XP platform. Was it as fast as the previous XP or HX? Nope. But look at how the XP continued for 7 years, and much of its aesthetic design and technology found its way in to other Sea-Doos over the next decade. The '97 XP was a culmination of growth before it and proceeded to influence other SD models thereafter. That's why it won over the HX in our opinion.

11. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Rustymuscle View Post

It’s difficult to properly project the future, but as one might find, looking back and tracing the trajectory that lead us to where we currently stand is quite easy. History has a way of clarifying how ripples made at one end of the pool can cascade into waves at the other end.

More at WatercraftJournal.Com
    I think Pro 785 must be in the list

13. +1 by:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information