New 2018 310X/R or 2018 FX SVHO

Need advice. Want to purchase 2018 310X/R or FX SVHO. Will be keeping ski stock and will be used in ocean only ( mainly one up but still dragging kneeboard and inflation device for kids ) , flat to moderate chop . From what I have read, Ultra is the best for rougher conditions ( FX not to far behind). Which ski gives you more thrills / turns sharper and is quicker to respond to your inputs. Don't need to know about skis mechanical weaknesses ( aware of these from both Kawasaki/Yamaha discussion sites). Can get the Ultra about $2000 ( Australian ) cheaper than the Waverunner. Which way do I go? Thanks, B

You seem to up on matters Kate. And from that I think you have already answered your own question! You can probably get a smokin' deal right now on a new non current Ultra.

Always Always Always put quality 91 octane (or better) in your new Ultra. I think you'll like the Ski. JB

3. +1 by:

So I can safely assume that the Ultra is the "sport" version and the FX is the "GT" ( less sportier and more of an effort to throw around in the tighter situations).

+1
    Have a look at the 310LX, the seat and the stereo really are worth the upgrade over the 310X/R particularly when pulling the kids around on the tube etc. That seat is so much more comfortable.

Nothing to not like about the Kawasaki 310, they are a fantastic ski.

6. +1 by:

Thanks for input, Brett.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by kate_brett View Post
    ... FX SVHO. Will be keeping ski stock and will be used in ocean only ( mainly one up but still dragging kneeboard and inflation device for kids ) , flat to moderate chop . From what I have read, Ultra is the best for rougher conditions ( FX not too far behind).

Which ski gives you more thrills / turns sharper and is quicker to respond to your inputs. ...
    Welcome

Note the 2019 Yamaha FX is a completely revised hull, different from the 2018 and prior FX hull. The initial 2019 FX reviews and rider reports I had seen so far have all been quite positive.

The Ultra 300/310 has been regarded for years as very competent in rough water. That said, I would not assume the Yamaha FX, especially the new 2019 model, is inferior in this regard.

In terms of fun and quick handling, the new Yamaha FX may do well compared to the Ultra.

‘Stock’ can be a complicated thing.

The SVHO powered Yamaha has an electronic speed limiter (as do some competing models/brands). That limiter is easily removed, and aftermarket engine tuning has proven to be fairly straightforward, consistent and reliable. With zero mechanical changes, just an ECU tune upgrade, the SVHO can accelerate harder, provide a higher top speed, and you can select which gasoline octane it needs (Riva MaptunerX).

I have not yet ridden the 2019 FX, but I do own the GP1800 SVHO, from which the new FX hull was derived.

I normally ride very large lakes, typically medium rough and sometimes very rough. I am not interested in top speed - my focus is mostly on handling, tracking, jet pump hook up, and ride. My GP1800 benefited from a Worx extended ride plate, further upgraded with Jim’s cut modification. Better ride, better hook up, better tracking in difficult conditions.

I also upgraded the impeller - better traction, perhaps slightly improved top speed.

No mechanical internal changes to the engine. Just a Riva air intake.

I also added a number of safety and other upgrades. I recommend installing an automatic water sensing bilge pump. The factory FX bilge pump (2018 and prior FX) only operates when the engine is running. There is no manual override switch to make it run.

Apparently the 2019 FX does not have an electric bilge pump at all, just a siphon bilge scavenge via the jet pump (which works well enough, but only when engine is running, and it is not capable of evacuating a lot of water in a hurry).

I currently use the Whale Supersub SS1212 bilge pump (install details posted elsewhere on GH).

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    I should mention that Yamaha has the RiDE control system. It provides excellent control when maneuvering in tight areas around docks, launch ramps, other watercraft, etc. Much, much better than mechanical reverse lever. It actually is intuitive to operate.

RiDE can also provide braking effect when slowing at speed (even during turns), but I consider that secondary to the operator control and precision that RiDE provides.

The RiDE motor is an integrated unit, and has proven to be quite reliable overall. Very few reports of trouble. If somehow the RiDE motor/control did become inoperable, the reversing bucket can be mechanically disengaged and raised while on the water. Takes just a moment. Then you can ride normally. This is quite different from the Seadoo bucket/brake system.

K447, thanks for indepth info. on the 2019 FX . Another model to consider as well as increased cost ! Will look into it, thanks, B.

Thread Information