Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    +1

2018 - who has the aux fuel tank?

I am thinking of getting the custom auxiliary fuel tank to extend my range on a 2018 GTX 230. If I am out on the rolly polly ocean I am thinking it would be very difficult to use and I would spill gasoline.

Who has this tank and how easy is it to use?

+1
    No one has the factory optional auxiliary fuel tank on their 2018 Seadoo???

The one that attaches to the cleats on the back platform?

+1
    I have one but didnt had a chance to use it yet

We bought the extra tank (and the retractable ski pylon) with our GTX 300 LTD. Easy to use the red aux tank - smart nossle storage.

+1
    Bought one this past summer for a ride from Savannah to Daytona and back. Didn't arrive in time for the trip so it's still in the box. Did find this video on its use:

I have one. The container itself is fine. It latches securely and never leaks a drop. It's well made except for the damned nozzle. As the video above shows, the nozzle is the same defective design now required on most newer gas containers. You have to twist the yellow ring to enable the nozzle to retract which then permits fuel to flow. If you've ever used one of these ridiculous nozzles, you'll know that they do not operate well, they often stick which impedes the operation and can cause spillage. As you can see in the video, the yellow locking ring rarely latches correctly, and the nozzle rarely retracts correctly.

On a 2018/19 RXTX or a GTX, the gas fill is under the cowl so you have to maneuver the heavy, ungainly tank into position over it, which is tricky enough on dry land and much more difficult on the water with a chop. Then you need to carefully position a small catch on the nozzle's shaft onto the gas fill opening in order to retract the nozzle to pour gas. This makes things even harder. You can also try to push the nozzle down by hand but that does not work well either. If you don't get it exactly right, the yellow locking ring will self-retract and again lock the nozzle. You then have to lift the tank back up to unlock it again. At this point, you begin to wonder what freakin idiot designed this POS.

The yellow ring and the retractable nozzle both stick a lot and do not operate smoothly, if at all. Choose your curse words ahead of time for maximum effect because you will be cursing the designer, his parents, and his ancestors.

If you do somehow manage to get it all to work, you're now committed to pouring the entire container into the tank. This is fine as long as you never use it just to top off. If you try to remove the container before it's completely empty or you somehow slip while filling it (very easy to do in choppy conditions), you can spill gas everywhere. The spilled gas will then either enter your storage compartment or the area around the filler. If either occur, BRP has thoughtfully designed it so the spilled gas then flows onto your floorboards where it will begin to crack and craze your CM-TEC acrylic finish unless you can flush it with water immediately. Ironically, the nozzle was designed to shut off the flow if re-extended, but since it sticks so much, this doesn't always work.

If the nozzle was a better design, or actually worked as designed, then the gas container would be great. If you do decide to get one of these, be sure to first practice using it at home before you attempt to use it on the water. Do not practice on your ski, try pouring the gas into another gas can or something because, until you get the hang of it, you may spill gas and your CM-TEC does not do well with spilled gas. When you use it on the water, be sure to have a small bailer bucket handy or some other way to quickly flush your hull with water if you do spill gas.

If BRP only used the new FISH-PRO's larger gas tank on the 2018/19 RXTX and GTX, this would all be moot.

MSX 150 guy lives on Mr. GP1800's Avatar
    +1
    I wonder if you can put one of these on it

https://ezpourspout.com/product/hi-f...pout-vent-kit/

i use these on all of my 5 gallon cans. With the extension its easy to get the spout into the filler neck and quickly empty the can with no spillage at all.

+1
    I will have to see one to see if will be something I would use or something that would just sit in the garage. I could use it on the ICW on smooth water before going onto the ocean.

I will call tomorrow to see if my local dealer has any in stock. Twice before I called and they did not have any.

I do have the cooler are it works pretty good. It is kinda too small but can carry and keep a few water bottles cold.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. GP1800 View Post
    I wonder if you can put one of these on it

https://ezpourspout.com/product/hi-f...pout-vent-kit/

i use these on all of my 5 gallon cans. With the extension it’s easy to get the spout into the filler neck and quickly empty the can with no spillage at all.
    I believe you could use one of these spouts. I use them on all my 5-gallon gas cans too. As long as you use the extension it should work without spillage. I'll switch to one of these next Summer.

10. +1 by:

Quote Originally Posted by tuffr3 View Post
    I will have to see one to see if will be something I would use or something that would just sit in the garage. I could use it on the ICW on smooth water before going onto the ocean.

I will call tomorrow to see if my local dealer has any in stock. Twice before I called and they did not have any.

I do have the cooler are it works pretty good. It is kinda too small but can carry and keep a few water bottles cold.
    If you're satisfied with the 50-70 mileage range, then don't bother with the aux tank. I rarely use mine, only on very long cruises.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information