2002 Virage txi flywheel stator cover

Happy Holidays,

I have an 02 Virage txi that I revived from the dead. Got it out at the end if the fall and it ran like a champ. When I was winterizing it and cleaning up the hull, I found a roughly 3 in. piece of gasket that appears to be from the flywheel stator cover. This is a 16 year old machine and though it is in pristine condition, the less I disturb things, probably the better. Here's my question.

Is it easy to take off the cover and replace the gasket without disturbing too much? Or

Since it appears that no water should get into the flywheel housing, should I just use a really good silicone and put a bead around the whole stator cover and call it a day?

Thanks

MSX 150 guy lives on Mr. GP1800's Avatar
    +1
    Its relatively easy to take off. The biggest trick is getting the oil pump aligned to the drive coupler on the flywheel nut. I would replace the gasket. I doubt the sealant would stay stuck for too long. You should be able to find a new gasket for 10-15 bucks

+1
    The stator is water cooled. So you are probably leaking cooling water from it when running. The typical cause for the gasket being pushed out is not winter storing the watercraft with the bow up at least 10 degrees. While the engine does self drain, there is still residual cooling water in the passages. If the bow is down, this residual cooling water will pool in the stator housing cooling water compartment. When it freezes, it expands and pushes the gasket out. I've never seen a cover split from freezing, but I have seen a number of pushed out gaskets.

4. +1 by:

MSX 150 guy lives on Mr. GP1800's Avatar
    +1
    Is it the cover for the water cooling jacket that's missing the piece of gasket or the stator cover itself? There are 2 separate gaskets. The water jacket gasket is the first one behind the 1/4 inch thick plate for the cooling cover. The stator cover gasket is between the 2 stator housing halves

Guys, thanks for getting back. I believe it to be from between the 2 stator housing halves. And @ martincom, that would explain the water in my hull that I thought was for than the typical water I would see on an average ride. It wasn't an alarming amount but enough for me to see there is an issue somewhere. I will check around for a new gasket. Thanks guys once again for the great info. Happy Holidays

*more than the typical water

Thread Information