Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Polaris Genesis i - Ficht engine Idle problem

I would first like to tell every one here about my ski. I bought my 2003 Genesis 1200 not running. The guy I bought the ski from told me that he ran the ski at the lake and then parked it. It sat for a year and when he went to start it up it didn't run. He did show me that the motor will start if you spray starting fluid down the intake. It would run for about 10 seconds. So I figured that it was bad gas in the tank and me being a handy guy I could figure out the problem. So I took a chance and bought the ski.

The first thing I did was drain the gas. I removed the fuel pump from the tank. When I did I noticed the fuel pressure regulator at the bottom of the pump. So I figured that was the problem. I did some reading on here and figured out how to fix the regulator. I re installed the fuel pump, tested the fuel pressure it was 23 psi and when I pinch off the return line it spikes to 30 psi.

So after fixing the regulator, the motor still didn't start. I did some more reading on here and found out that the Emm can fail. So I called Darrin from Lakeside Tech thinking it was the EMM that was bad. Before sending him the EMM for testing he had me run some tests on the ski. He told me to test the stator voltage and when I unpluged the 12 pin connector I found that the connector had melted. So I ended up splicing in a new Deutsch 12 pin connector.

Darrin had me take a look at the inside of the emm, he told me to re solder the pins that come into the board from the 12 pin connector . After fixing the 12 pin connector and emm the ski will start now but will not idle. I can't get the ski to run under 3200 rpm.

The motor seems to run smooth when you rev it full throttle. I ended up sending the emm to Darrin for testing. The emm tested fine on his test ski. I got an old computer with windows xp on it. I installed the Digital Wrench diagnostic software on it and made the communications cable to connect the computer to the ski. I ran a static test on the ski. It gets great spark. I fired each injector and could hear them firing. I ran the fuel pump and could hear it running. I tested the TPS, the numbers were .494 volts idle and 3.592 volts full throttle.

Darrin had me take a look at the alternator voltage and RPM while it was running we thought there was something going on with the stator possibly. So I got a used working stator and installed it and still the motor will not idle. I found a used throttle body with a TPS on it on eBay for a reasonable price. The guy said it came off of a working ski. So tonight I installed the TPS (.538 volts idle and 4.404 volts full throttle) and still the motor will not idle. It does the same thing as before. I did check the CPS and that checked out fine.

I also did a compression test on all 3 cylinders they were all 100 PSI. I know spec should be between 120 and 150 psi. Could this be part of the problem? What else should I test? Is there something I'm missing? So the mystery still continues.

I want to thank Darrin from Lakeside Tech for all of the help over the phone. He's one of the most helpful guys I've ever met. If you ever need your EMM repaired use Darrin from Lakeside Tech he's the best.

I would also like to thank K447 for the great information on here. It's helped me out allot.

I'm going to post some pictures of the diagnostic from the ski. Let me know if you see something that doesn't look right.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1042 2.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	91.9 KB 
ID:	442983   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1043.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	94.0 KB 
ID:	442982   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1044.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	106.9 KB 
ID:	442984   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1045.jpg 
Size:	71.1 KB 
ID:	442985   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1046.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	69.4 KB 
ID:	442986   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1047.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	76.4 KB 
ID:	442987  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1048.jpg 
Size:	79.9 KB 
ID:	442988   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1049.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	74.7 KB 
ID:	442989   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1052.jpg 
Size:	91.1 KB 
ID:	442990   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1054.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	98.5 KB 
ID:	442991  
    Last edited by K447; 01-02-2019 at 09:55 AM. Reason: Thread title clarity

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome

What spark plugs are installed?

When you start it and run it (for maybe 15 seconds or so) by holding the throttle part way open, do all three cylinders get equally warm?

Have you inspected the reed valves?

MSX 150 guy lives on Mr. GP1800's Avatar
    +1
    Change the spark plugs before doing anything else. They can really make these run bad if they aren’t perfect

They are New Autolite 5224 spark Plugs. The MAG and CEN get slightly hotter than the PTO cylinder. No I haven't inspected the reed valves.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. GP1800 View Post
    Change the spark plugs before doing anything else. They can really make these run bad if they aren’t perfect
    The first thing I did was get new Autolite 5224 plugs from the auto parts store. The even looked up the ski on the computer to match them up.

MSX 150 guy lives on Mr. GP1800's Avatar
    +1
    That very well could be your problem. The stock NGK plugs are the only ones that work well in these engines.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. GP1800 View Post
    That very well could be your problem. The stock NGK plugs are the only ones that work well in these engines.
    I had no idea how important it is to run the factory plugs. Are these the ones I need? https://www.sparkplugs.com/Non-Autom...arts-c139.aspx
    Last edited by K447; 12-25-2018 at 01:27 PM.

+1
    I don't think sparkplugs are your problem, but the Autolites are incorrect regardless. The NGK plug is PZFR6H.

Now, I'm probably going to kick the bee hive, but I gave up on the NGKs. I experienced too many issues with the fouling, in more than watercraft. I utilize the Champion QC10PEP. I purchased a 2003 Virage i new and installed them in a matter of hours when a NGK fouled. I sold it at 200 hours with those same plugs still installed without any issues. I run the Champions in all my Polaris direct injected watercraft.

Evinrude utilied this plug in their E-Tec outboards (direct injected also with a FICHT EMM) and Polaris utilized them one year, I believe 1999, in one of the direct injected models.

I've been purchasing the Champions from an Ebay seller, Paulsmarine, at a reasonable price.

+1
    If you dribble some gasoline into the throttle bodies when it starts to die, does it recover? Are you monitoring the fuel pressure when it dies?

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by martincom View Post
    ... the Autolites are incorrect regardless.

The NGK plug is PZFR6H.

... Champion QC10PEP. ...
    I have no issue with recommending the Champion QC10PEP spark plugs for Polaris Ficht. I always used the NGK PZFR6H in my own Ficht engines.

Using anything other than the recommended PZFR6H or QC10PEP is asking for weird problems.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information