Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

+1

Whole heap of IBR errors after changing battery!. - Need help to solve.

Hi guys.

So.......Iím really looking for help here from the experts. A seemingly very simple task has degraded into a disaster!

I know I can go down the troubleshooting path myself (which I may have to do), but before I do that Iím hoping like crazy someone will point me in the direction of a ďsilver bulletĒ. I'm meant to be taking it out day after tomorrow with the kids, and they've been waiting all winter.

This afternoon I came home from work (feeling happy with Xmas breakup), and decided to change the battery in my ski (2009 rxt is 255). I started the ski before the battery change and all was fine. No faults / errors etc. It ran perfectly.

I removed the cables from the battery and moved the fuse box assembly away from the side of the battery cage. I pulled the battery cage out, swapped the battery over for a brand new fully charged (tested) battery, and put everything back together.

In going to start the ski after the battery change, my world started crumbling!

Faults galore started coming up. Iím guessing somethingís happened to a wire or something as Iíve moved the fuses out of the way (checked all fuses and nothing amiss), but all the errors that are coming up are related to the IBR.

I cleared all the faults with BUDS, but they immediately came back as active faults.

Iíve checked all connections at the IBR and all looks fine.

Can anyone help me out here?. I cant see any other connectors that might have come loose - but it has to be something to do with the battery change??

Dave
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IBR.PNG 
Views:	242 
Size:	24.2 KB 
ID:	442946  

+1
    Still have the old battery? If so, I'd reinstall it and see if the codes clear. If they do, you know it's the new battery. IBR is very sensitive to battery problems.

+1
    Might be a good idea to check all the buss bars. They get corroded and won't make contact.

4. +1 by:

+1
    Xspook is right on the first step. Put the old battery back in and check if they go away. If they are still there after clearing them you need to refer to the wiring diagram. You may have pulled something out of the bottom of the fuse block.

+1
    Hi guys.

Thanks so much for the replies.

I should have said in my original message that i did swap back to the old battery, and still got the same errors.

I also removed and checked each fuse and bus bar to check for corrosion and blown fuses. These were all ok to the naked eye.

What is my next step for troubleshooting?

Dave

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk36 View Post
    Xspook is right on the first step. Put the old battery back in and check if they go away. If they are still there after clearing them you need to refer to the wiring diagram. You may have pulled something out of the bottom of the fuse block.
    So this morning i went out after a night of battery charging. The battery needed bugger all charging as it was new and charged when I put it in yesterday.

Referring to the manual for my ski, I checked the CAN Hi and LO communication wires between the BUS BARS in the fuse box, and the IBR. Continuity was fine. I put it all back together and started it up, and no errors. Thought I might have fixed the issue.

Anyway, after a few starts, the errors came back. But now something new has started happening.

The IS seems to have now stopped working as well, and, when I go to start the ski, I get a clicking noise from the rear of the ski and no cranking. If I hit the start button a bunch of times, it will then eventually kick over (still with errors).

Additionally, when I put the lanyard on the dess post, I get the "beep beep" as it reads the key, and then randomly (doesn't happen all the time) the ski will just shut down completely. IE: Display goes blank. I've double checked (and cleaned) the connections to the battery, and all seems fine.

Starting to become really frustrated.

Dave

You have a ground issue. Remove and clean/grease and reinstall all ground cables.

Check the positive battery cable on stater solenoid sounds like you have a low voltage to the circuits
    as it’s low down could of got wet a few times and got corroded.
    you could also compare voltage on positive bus bar in fuse box to battery voltage remember to press the start button to power up the bus bar

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by garygarnett View Post
    Check the positive battery cable on stater solenoid sounds like you have a low voltage to the circuits
    as it’s low down could of got wet a few times and got corroded.
    you could also compare voltage on positive bus bar in fuse box to battery voltage remember to press the start button to power up the bus bar
    Thanks guys.

Ive checked and re-grounded all earths. I have also (just for sh1ts and giggles) ran a completely separate earth from the battery to the engine block.

I've also checked the starter solenoid which was fine. No corrosion.

Ive also checked the voltage at the Bus Bars. All posts on Bus Bar 1 are 2.3volts, and bus bar 2 is 2.6 volts, which in my limited understanding of how the CAN works is fine.

I still cant get past why the errors were gone this morning when I went out. The only thing I can think of is that overnight the battery was on charge all night, but I don't see how that would matter. The battery is still at around 12.4 volts so its nice and strong.

On top of that the battery has been flat in the ski before and its never thrown these errors.

Its gotta be a wire somewhere or something.

The IS is now working.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by davus View Post
    Thanks guys.

Ive checked and re-grounded all earths. I have also (just for sh1ts and giggles) ran a completely separate earth from the battery to the engine block.

I've also checked the starter solenoid which was fine. No corrosion.

Ive also checked the voltage at the Bus Bars. All posts on Bus Bar 1 are 2.3volts, and bus bar 2 is 2.6 volts, which in my limited understanding of how the CAN works is fine.

I still cant get past why the errors were gone this morning when I went out. The only thing I can think of is that overnight the battery was on charge all night, but I don't see how that would matter. The battery is still at around 12.4 volts so its nice and strong.

On top of that the battery has been flat in the ski before and its never thrown these errors.

Its gotta be a wire somewhere or something.

The IS is now working.

Dave
    12.4 volts is a 75% battery. If it doesnít go over that after charging all night it is defective.
    Iím not saying this is causing your problems but should be addressed.
    How are the pins in the Ecu connectors looking?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information