Question 07 ultra 250x with a couple of issues

Hi guys new here, thought Iíd post and forgive if itís been covered Iíve tried searching for similar posts...

bought this ski ski last week, 112hrs took it out for first test and first 5 mins in water she felt very sluggish even hard to get planing. Didnít notice any boost up on guage.

after a few mins she picked up but kept surging like I was on and off throttle... once it settled at mid throttle it felt ok but if I hit WOT it would bog and slow then it would lurch then not back.. if slowing to n almost stop and hitting WOT it would just gurgle and splutter.

anyway got home and realised SC belt bolt was loose so could be a factor? Tightened it up.

thought maybe fuel blockage or poor flow so pulled line and ran a 3 sex test and got about 150ml into the measuring cup.

checked plugs Denso iridium ui27a all weíre finger right in head, I undid them with the extension bar with no wrench? Is that normal?!

anway ski feels a little better on the water got it to 95kmh at 7800rpm with boost tapping out at around 10-11psi..

next is to chekc for exhaust leaks leaks in engine bay and change plugs even though they have only done 3hrs work but have sat for a whole season since use.

couls the inter cooler need removing and a flush and clean with some new gaskets?

also noticed a small amount of water in hull after today but only about 300ml there was no water on belts or engine parts, only at the notttom of ski floor.(Bunga were tight.

any info on what to check next would be helpful to solve this bogging and random surging issue

Take the time to smile sirbreaksalot's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by KwikasfukiUltra250x View Post
    Hi guys new here, thought I’d post and forgive if it’s been covered I’ve tried searching for similar posts...

bought this ski ski last week, 112hrs took it out for first test and first 5 mins in water she felt very sluggish even hard to get planing. Didn’t notice any boost up on guage.

after a few mins she picked up but kept surging like I was on and off throttle... once it settled at mid throttle it felt ok but if I hit WOT it would bog and slow then it would lurch then not back.. if slowing to n almost stop and hitting WOT it would just gurgle and splutter.

anyway got home and realised SC belt bolt was loose so could be a factor? Tightened it up.

thought maybe fuel blockage or poor flow so pulled line and ran a 3 sex test and got about 150ml into the measuring cup.

checked plugs Denso iridium ui27a all we’re finger right in head, I undid them with the extension bar with no wrench? Is that normal?!

anway ski feels a little better on the water got it to 95kmh at 7800rpm with boost tapping out at around 10-11psi..

next is to chekc for exhaust leaks leaks in engine bay and change plugs even though they have only done 3hrs work but have sat for a whole season since use.

couls the inter cooler need removing and a flush and clean with some new gaskets?

also noticed a small amount of water in hull after today but only about 300ml there was no water on belts or engine parts, only at the notttom of ski floor.(Bunga were tight.

any info on what to check next would be helpful to solve this bogging and random surging issue
    ANY water in the hull will get sucked up onto the belt due to the wind effect around the belt.... 1 cup can & will cause some issue..... but its a power surge. not a power cut out feeling that an electrical issue causes...…… fuel flow also give a smoother power reduction...
    but at 7800 rpm your not far of stock spec and 11 psi is on the money
    don't use the dash speed as a indicator.... live RPM is the tell tale of engine performance..

plugs should be at the spec as in the workshop manual ( always apply grease of neversieze to the threads )

check all intake hose clamps
    change plugs
    clean intercooler
    update catch can to 310 spec..... this will reduce the need to clean intercooler often
    belt should be approx. 1/4 turn on long side...…… the loose it is the more you can twist the belt , if that makes sense.
    block off Blow Off Valve on rear of intercooler

start there and report back

Waz

Quote Originally Posted by sirbreaksalot View Post
    ANY water in the hull will get sucked up onto the belt due to the wind effect around the belt.... 1 cup can & will cause some issue..... but its a power surge. not a power cut out feeling that an electrical issue causes...ÖÖ fuel flow also give a smoother power reduction...
    but at 7800 rpm your not far of stock spec and 11 psi is on the money
    don't use the dash speed as a indicator.... live RPM is the tell tale of engine performance..

plugs should be at the spec as in the workshop manual ( always apply grease of neversieze to the threads )

check all intake hose clamps
    change plugs
    clean intercooler
    update catch can to 310 spec..... this will reduce the need to clean intercooler often
    belt should be approx. 1/4 turn on long side...ÖÖ the loose it is the more you can twist the belt , if that makes sense.
    block off Blow Off Valve on rear of intercooler

start there and report back

Waz
    Thanks Waz, Iíve tightened the belt and it made a substantial difference to it bogging down which appears the belt was slipping. Iím not yet overly confident removing intercooler until I get the full repair manual in hand.. giving me step by step.. I havenít seen or located blow off valve at rear of intercooler yet. But Iím sure once I dig deeper it will be found. I also removed and cleaned the reed valves on top of the rocker cover as they had carbon build up, do these have an actual air filter up front? I can see the air box setup but it appears semi sealed? Might wait till the manual arrives.. oh and Iíll remove the catch can and clean when I do intercooler. Iím tipping donít dismantle it just flush it with petroleum like Iíve seen on you tube.

+1
    Pull the pump, check the pump bearings and even if they are fine upgrade to the new 3 bearing setup. If you don't and the bearing fails you will destroy your motor. Also, check with Kawasaki, ther were several recall updates for that model year, just check they were done.

Update, I removed Intercooler today, looked fairly good except for a milky oil residue stuck on the inside of the cooling fins at the Throttle body end. Not heaps but I capped off some ports and filled intercooler with some fuel and swished it all around for a few mins and drained it out, caramel milkshake anyone? ��, from what I’ve read this is a normal occurrence due to a poor design catch can system, as it was totally dry inside... I can assume this build up has been adding to restrict air flow to throttle body from supercharger? Whilst out I tweaked the spring tension on the BOV so it will hold boost longer and hopefully give me a bit more.

Also found the hose to throttle body clamp was a bit loose �� hose could move around somewhat. (Fixed)

now to reinstall all everything and see if I can get the catch can to work a bit better with some mods and some engineering tips.

Ok yesterday wasn’t a good day, dropped ski ito the water , fired up well and let it idle for about 2/3 minutes, went for a lite squirt up the river and it was ok until I went WOT and it bogged, then lurched again, definitely feels like engine breakdown so plugs are next on the list..

however it got got progressively worse and I went straight back to ramp area. Took seats off and the vacuum plate hoses on the top of the rocker cover had blown off and were melted to the exhaust ��, also when I pulled the bungs the hull had hot water come out. Not heaps but atleast 300ml.

took it home and inspected everything ran it through the hose and noticed a hose split where it connects to the back of the cylinder head above the SC tensioner. So I’m assuming the lack of water getting into the head caused it to get hot and melt off the rubber tubes that caused them to fall off? but if that line is a cold feed from the jet pump into the head why was there hot water in the bottom of the hull?? Did I get back flow from head as the water wasn’t getting pushed through? No water in oil, nothing appeared wet up top of engine area.

Do do I have another issue? I checked all hoses and waterbox clamps nothing suss
    this thing really has me stressing... please help..

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by KwikasfukiUltra250x View Post
    Ok yesterday wasnít a good day, dropped ski ito the water , fired up well and let it idle for about 2/3 minutes, went for a lite squirt up the river and it was ok until I went WOT and it bogged, then lurched again, definitely feels like engine breakdown so plugs are next on the list..

however it got got progressively worse and I went straight back to ramp area. Took seats off and the vacuum plate hoses on the top of the rocker cover had blown off and were melted to the exhaust ��, also when I pulled the bungs the hull had hot water come out. Not heaps but atleast 300ml.

took it home and inspected everything ran it through the hose and noticed a hose split where it connects to the back of the cylinder head above the SC tensioner. So Iím assuming the lack of water getting into the head caused it to get hot and melt off the rubber tubes that caused them to fall off? but if that line is a cold feed from the jet pump into the head why was there hot water in the bottom of the hull?? Did I get back flow from head as the water wasnít getting pushed through? No water in oil, nothing appeared wet up top of engine area.

Do do I have another issue? I checked all hoses and waterbox clamps nothing suss
    this thing really has me stressing... please help..
    Hot water in the hull indicates a leak from the cooling system into the hull....a common found leak is the hose at the bottom corner of the intercooler....it is a preformed hose that you cant see from above...good luck with
    your ski.....I used to have a 250x and really enjoyed it....The timing mod is a good cheap way to increase performance. Search for it on here....

hi guys I just wanted to follow up on what’s been happening.
    i found the water inlet to back of the Head just above the supercharger pulley had a split in it, allowing water to enter the hull..
    also found the Flexi line from BOV was suffering from a small split.
    changed plugs to new NGK PMR9B. Went to New Years festivities on the water and dropped it in. At 5 knots for 2 mins I stopped and pulled seat off. The rubber hoses on top of the rocker cover had again melted and popped off. I kinked hose to air box and limped to the boat. ski was running poor and no power. No water into hull this time ��
    i removed the top cover plates off the rocker where the reed plates are located. We installed some thin metal shims over the reeds sealed it up and reinstalled the covers.
    and wow.. like a brand new ski. Full boost from the get go, top speed of 110kmh. No big down no lag. Rode it for 3 hrs on and off all day without a hiccup. Next day same again ran perfectly.

I can only assume the engine was choking on exhaust gases from the reed emission system into the air box? by blocking them off it allowed the engine to breath? Either that or it was pure coincidence? Could these reed valves cause such issues?

so glad it’s all running right now. My mates 2012 ultra 300x couldn’t get away from me all day, kept up with him on every run ...

Thread Information