4 Tec rebuild... Advice on honing Cylinders

Hey guys!! I am doing a full engine rebuild on my 04 rxp. Long story short, an exhaust valve dropped in cylinder 1.

I am wondering what your thought are on what honing tool to use? recommendations? size? etc...

I have the engine out and fully apart. Crank, bearings, and rods are all in great shape. Luckily!! Cylinder 1 has a very small scratch that my finger nail just grabs. All the other cylinders look great. I want to drop a new set of OEM pistons/rings (99.96mm) back in. I don't think boring is necessary because of how small the scratch is. At least that's my thought.

Has anyone use specific honing tools before that have removed slight scratches, if so what size? 4 inch or 101mm hones?

thank you !!

+1
    I simply took mine to a mechanical machine shop. $60 and they measured all cylinders for wear and clearances, honed, sized and installed the piston rings, they also loaded the piston rings with assembly lubrication. Very nice job for little money and done right..

3. +1 by:

Thank you, I was considering that as well. I do really enjoy doing most of the work myself though

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 04rxp215 View Post
    Thank you, I was considering that as well. I do really enjoy doing most of the work myself though
    Same here. It was the only thing I didn't touch. They have the precision tools and are better at flagging a problem, its a critical part of the engine.

6. +1 by:

MSX 150 guy lives on Mr. GP1800's Avatar
    +1
    For the little bit of money making everything is properly sized and fit is worth the money every time.

+1
    How many hours on that motor?

If it was me I would probably grab a set of 1 size over pistons and refresh all the bores.

You can buy a set of pistons/rings for under $400 ..machining them to fit should be around $250 I would guess. You now have a nice fresh motor. Sell stock pistons for a few $.

9. +1 by:

+1
    If you fingernail catches on the scratch it is too deep. You will get some compression loss and oil burning. Have a machine shop do it and they will let you know if it needs bored.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    for the money you can't beat taking your block to a shop that bores and hones and measures to make sure you aren't missing something that is going to set fire to a whole bunch of money.

You also won't come to the quality of work, as the tooling is mighty expensive for a one time around deal.

I'm sure you'll get plenty of value out of that, mostly in peace of mind.

There a big difference between dealing with an engine that makes 20hp per cylinder and one that makes 80hp.

Besides, it will make for some great pictures and you'll likely get the block back cleaner then ever too.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk36 View Post
    If you fingernail catches on the scratch it is too deep. You will get some compression loss and oil burning. Have a machine shop do it and they will let you know if it needs bored.
    One other thing....make sure u install forged pistons IF you are going to make more boost than stock...
    Also make sure your valves are not the hollow ones in the earlier 4 tech motors.....
    You can do a search on here about Hollow valves in the 4 Tech Motors you should find everything you need to know about them.

Thread Information