Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    +1

Shop owners insurance?????

Ok, I'm getting frustrated. I've checked with everybody near me and they won't insure a watercraft mechanic!!!! What provider are you guys using? I need some insurance.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Myself View Post
    Ok, I'm getting frustrated. I've checked with everybody near me and they won't insure a watercraft mechanic!!!! What provider are you guys using? I need some insurance.
    Insurance for what purpose?

+1
    I run my legit repair business out of my home shop. Apparently if you are running a small business and charging people for repairs, your homeowners will NOT cover your shop/ contents/ liability. Also if I were repairing cars, motorcycles, or small engines then everybody has a policy for that. If you are a watercraft mecanic they run for the hills!!! If something were to happen and they find out you were working on something other than your own personal stuff your homeowners will NOT pay out. I know a guy it has happened to. I need to find a policy for a watercraft/marine mechanic shopkeeper.

+1
    Why would your homeowners insurance cover your business? I'd be afraid that a repair shop business in the home would void your homeowners insurance due to the risk of fire, chemical spills, etc.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    if you receive your customers at home you're at risk.

no way your homeowner will cover a customer falling over that old marshmallow from haloween

Your business a LLC?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by nmpeter View Post
    if you receive your customers at home you're at risk.

no way your homeowner will cover a customer falling over that old marshmallow from haloween

Your business a LLC?
    You need to form an LLC. OR, be able to prove that you are not running a business and just a hobby. You can fix and repair things on a limited basis, and not be in “business”.

I would also check into an umbrella policy. I have one with a few million. They are cheap. ANY insurance company will provide one. Just make sure you tell them what you are up to. The policy will be setup to match the risk. BUT, I suspect an umbrella will only go so far.

i has a small non profit with high risk. We incorporated. Had to purchase officer and director insurance. I also had to add an umbrella policy too.

MSX 150 guy lives on Mr. GP1800's Avatar
    +1
    So why can’t you take out a business liability policy?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. GP1800 View Post
    So why can’t you take out a business liability policy?
    Apparently the issue lies with being a watercraft/marine mechanic. My shop is seperate from the house but on the same property. I'm doing waayy too much business anymore to be a hobby, which allowed me to build my new shop which is completely paid for. I'm gearing up to quit my day job and be self employed. I can find SBO "umbrella" policies and "garage keepers" policies all day long.....BUT.....you tell them your a marine mechanic and it changes EVERYTHING!! I can insure my shop and tools easy enough but I'd like a complete shop policy. Otherwise it will be down to a lawyer and have a liability release waiver drawn up for everybody to sign if they want a pwc fixed by me.

I just asked on here cause I know there are other watercraft shop owners on here and thought somebody might be insured with a large writer that might be licensed in Arkansas.

+1
    OK, looks like nobody has a shop policy to insure a marine mechanic. I guess it's down to the lawyer to have waivers drawn up. Anybody wanting me to work on something will be signing a waiver.

MSX 150 guy lives on Mr. GP1800's Avatar
    +1
    There has to be something you are missing here. There are marine/boat shops all over the place and there is no way they are operating without insurance

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information