Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1

    Iphone Navionics vs Handheld GPS

    I am torn on using Navionics on my Iphone XS Max or getting a handheld Gps/Chart plotter. I would be using a Ram Mount to secure it and with a tether in front of my handlebars. I will be using it for planning and following routes in unfamiliar areas, so needing to stay in channels especially when the water could be very shallow. Mounting a hardwired small chartplotter is not something I am really wanting to do. I have a USB port so could easily charge the phone or Handheld.

    The areas I am planning on exploring will be Ocean City/Assateague/Chincoteague, and some lakes Lake Anna, Smith Mountain etc.

    Anyone have thoughts or opinions on this....Thanks.


  2. #2
    MSX 150 guy lives on Mr. GP1800's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Milwaukee WI
    Posts
    17,528
    +1
    1,496
    Why not a dedicated chart Plotter? You could ram mount it just like the hand held. You would only need to run the power cable to it. It would be cheaper and easier to use and read than a handheld

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. GP1800 View Post
    Why not a dedicated chart Plotter? You could ram mount it just like the hand held. You would only need to run the power cable to it. It would be cheaper and easier to use and read than a handheld
    I guess the portability factor, I can easily move it from boat to boat or ski to ski. I am frequently out on other boats especially my buddies and his gps is very outdated and glitches alot. I am also torn on where to mount whatever on my ski, can't determine what place would be best since the mount would have to be supported from the backside as well.

  4. #4
    TimeBandit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Tampa Bay
    Posts
    702
    +1
    148
    I don't have a opinion either way on your question, so I'll just explain what I use and why.

    I've been running the Garmin 44dv chart plotter / sounder - several years now.
    I solved my "portability" needs between the ski & kayak by purchasing an additional power cradle & transducer. Now I can pop the unit from craft to craft.
    I enjoy the added benefit from the sounder - water depth, temps, and down-scan sonar. Often I may undenounced free-drift into shallow water while fishing... so the unit is set to alert me automatically by presetting a depth limit.
    I enjoy the bright screen - even in direct sun light.
    I enjoy loading & updating my a'massed custom POIs with a simple memory card insert.
    I enjoy the real physical tactile buttons that my fingers can hold onto (as opposed to virtual touch-screen buttons) while the ski bobs in all directions.
    I enjoy have one-less-thing needing batteries or a recharge.


  5. #5

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Dalton, Ga.
    Posts
    62
    +1
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by TimeBandit View Post
    I don't have a opinion either way on your question, so I'll just explain what I use and why.

    I've been running the Garmin 44dv chart plotter / sounder - several years now.
    I solved my "portability" needs between the ski & kayak by purchasing an additional power cradle & transducer. Now I can pop the unit from craft to craft.
    I enjoy the added benefit from the sounder - water depth, temps, and down-scan sonar. Often I may undenounced free-drift into shallow water while fishing... so the unit is set to alert me automatically by presetting a depth limit.
    I enjoy the bright screen - even in direct sun light.
    I enjoy loading & updating my a'massed custom POIs with a simple memory card insert.
    I enjoy the real physical tactile buttons that my fingers can hold onto (as opposed to virtual touch-screen buttons) while the ski bobs in all directions.
    I enjoy have one-less-thing needing batteries or a recharge.

    But can you call anyone if you need help?
    Can you take pics/video?

  6. #6
    Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    near Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    39,386
    +1
    1,745
    Quote Originally Posted by trckdrvr View Post
    But can you call anyone if you need help?
    Can you take pics/video?
    Of course you can.

    You are allowed to take your smartphone with you on the watercraft, even if you also have a proper marine GPS unit installed. I would recommend having a mobile phone on board.

    I would also suggest a marine VHF radio.

    Each device type has specific functions that it is well suited for, and they only partially overlap with the functionality of the other devices.

  7. +1 by:


  8. #7

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Dalton, Ga.
    Posts
    62
    +1
    13
    very true,,

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Handheld GPS
    By jonyv1 in forum Kawasaki PWC Performance (4-stroke)
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-10-2012, 11:07 AM
  2. Handheld GPS?
    By jonyv1 in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-10-2012, 09:00 AM
  3. Handheld GPS
    By NJFX4GT in forum Open Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-03-2012, 12:08 PM
  4. WTB Used handheld GPS
    By cmgww in forum General Classifieds
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-14-2012, 12:27 PM
  5. Handheld GPS
    By BlackKaw in forum Open Discussion
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 04-26-2010, 11:40 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •