Iphone Navionics vs Handheld GPS

I am torn on using Navionics on my Iphone XS Max or getting a handheld Gps/Chart plotter. I would be using a Ram Mount to secure it and with a tether in front of my handlebars. I will be using it for planning and following routes in unfamiliar areas, so needing to stay in channels especially when the water could be very shallow. Mounting a hardwired small chartplotter is not something I am really wanting to do. I have a USB port so could easily charge the phone or Handheld.

The areas I am planning on exploring will be Ocean City/Assateague/Chincoteague, and some lakes Lake Anna, Smith Mountain etc.

Anyone have thoughts or opinions on this....Thanks.

MSX 150 guy lives on Mr. GP1800's Avatar
    +1
    Why not a dedicated chart Plotter? You could ram mount it just like the hand held. You would only need to run the power cable to it. It would be cheaper and easier to use and read than a handheld

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. GP1800 View Post
    Why not a dedicated chart Plotter? You could ram mount it just like the hand held. You would only need to run the power cable to it. It would be cheaper and easier to use and read than a handheld
    I guess the portability factor, I can easily move it from boat to boat or ski to ski. I am frequently out on other boats especially my buddies and his gps is very outdated and glitches alot. I am also torn on where to mount whatever on my ski, can't determine what place would be best since the mount would have to be supported from the backside as well.

+1
    I don't have a opinion either way on your question, so I'll just explain what I use and why.

I've been running the Garmin 44dv chart plotter / sounder - several years now.
    I solved my "portability" needs between the ski & kayak by purchasing an additional power cradle & transducer. Now I can pop the unit from craft to craft.
    I enjoy the added benefit from the sounder - water depth, temps, and down-scan sonar. Often I may undenounced free-drift into shallow water while fishing... so the unit is set to alert me automatically by presetting a depth limit.
    I enjoy the bright screen - even in direct sun light.
    I enjoy loading & updating my a'massed custom POIs with a simple memory card insert.
    I enjoy the real physical tactile buttons that my fingers can hold onto (as opposed to virtual touch-screen buttons) while the ski bobs in all directions.
    I enjoy have one-less-thing needing batteries or a recharge.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by TimeBandit View Post
    I don't have a opinion either way on your question, so I'll just explain what I use and why.

I've been running the Garmin 44dv chart plotter / sounder - several years now.
    I solved my "portability" needs between the ski & kayak by purchasing an additional power cradle & transducer. Now I can pop the unit from craft to craft.
    I enjoy the added benefit from the sounder - water depth, temps, and down-scan sonar. Often I may undenounced free-drift into shallow water while fishing... so the unit is set to alert me automatically by presetting a depth limit.
    I enjoy the bright screen - even in direct sun light.
    I enjoy loading & updating my a'massed custom POIs with a simple memory card insert.
    I enjoy the real physical tactile buttons that my fingers can hold onto (as opposed to virtual touch-screen buttons) while the ski bobs in all directions.
    I enjoy have one-less-thing needing batteries or a recharge.

But can you call anyone if you need help?
    Can you take pics/video?

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by trckdrvr View Post
    But can you call anyone if you need help?
    Can you take pics/video?
    Of course you can.

You are allowed to take your smartphone with you on the watercraft, even if you also have a proper marine GPS unit installed. I would recommend having a mobile phone on board.

I would also suggest a marine VHF radio.

Each device type has specific functions that it is well suited for, and they only partially overlap with the functionality of the other devices.

7. +1 by:

+1
    very true,,

Thread Information