Stainless steel wear ring housing

Just wondering how many of you salt riders replaced your stock ones on a relatively new machine, and after how long? I have a hundred hours on my '16, and wondering if I can get a few more years out of it before it starts binding. I would like to upgrade eventually anyhow. I've always had a plastic liner on my last ski, and replaced once every three seasons or so.

**Forgot to mention, I flush after every use

Quote Originally Posted by Pokaplaya75 View Post
    Just wondering how many of you salt riders replaced your stock ones on a relatively new machine, and after how long? I have a hundred hours on my '16, and wondering if I can get a few more years out of it before it starts binding. I would like to upgrade eventually anyhow. I've always had a plastic liner on my last ski, and replaced once every three seasons or so.

Hi there

I replaced my prop and wear ring at 110hrs, mine prop was making a few tinkling noises when running at idle so it was hitting the sides of the wear ring. The got the ski at 42 hrs from a guy that did not wash ski down very well so it may have shortened its life by a fair margin.
    What I did notice after the change was the new prop\wear ring was much tighter as speed was same but with 350 less RPM for same pitch prop, this allowed me to add mods and still be under the rev limiter. Old prop only had minor scuff marks and some pots holes caused by cavitation around the hub.
    Overall I was very pleased with the change and have put on another 80 hours trouble free fun.

Cheers

Dave

That's strange that it actually made the fit tighter. I would think the other way around. I guess the prop change contributed to that as well. Thanks for the reply

+1
    It's luck of the draw to some extent!

My previous FX 160 & 2012 FX both had over 300hrs on them after 5 or so years, still on original liner...all in salt water. I wash after every ride & also spray fluid film in that area every now & then. I have heard of people doing this & the liner still swells!
    Am just about to replace my 17 FX liner housing & impeller, after 135 hrs due to a rock getting stuck in there......I opted for the OEM as not had an issue with them before.

+1
    . . . .
    <snip>
    Great that you are properly flushing every time, but root problem will often not be thwarted or slowed-down with religious flushing. That's because once saltwater gets behind that WR and creates the "circuit", it will fester like an infection.

For more insight, I explained this phenomenon in detail in a somewhat similar thread:
    http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthre...=1#post2992341

Quote Originally Posted by TimeBandit View Post
    Great that you are properly flushing every time, but root problem will often not be thwarted or slowed-down with religious flushing. That's because once saltwater gets behind that WR and creates the "circuit", it will fester like an infection.

For more insight, I explained this phenomenon in detail in a somewhat similar thread:
    http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthre...=1#post2992341
    Good read, thank you.

+1
    120 hrs on my '15 FX,liner was shot (90% salt riding,flushed after every ride)

+1
    Good read, thank you.
    Welcome

"If" and when yours goes ... (and you probably know this already) there is an aftermarket Housing that accepts replaceable plastic WR liners. The benefit here is two-fold: stops the "circuit" phenomenon by taking the stainless out of the galvanic equation, can provide a more precise fit, as when freshly installed, the impeller will usually shave the ring to exact-fit.
    FWIW, been running this Housing couple years now ... pulled my WR liner several times to have a look ... no more corrosion blisters have formed yet.

Quote Originally Posted by TimeBandit View Post
    Welcome

"If" and when yours goes ... (and you probably know this already) there is an aftermarket Housing that accepts replaceable plastic WR liners. The benefit here is two-fold: stops the "circuit" phenomenon by taking the stainless out of the galvanic equation, can provide a more precise fit, as when freshly installed, the impeller will usually shave the ring to exact-fit.
    FWIW, been running this Housing couple years now ... pulled my WR liner several times to have a look ... no more corrosion blisters have formed yet.
    I had the plastic liner in my last ski. I think I'm going to go with the Riva or Solas fully stainless one and be done

+1
    I have a Solas all stainless wear ring housing. Picked it up at a deal from a fellow Hulker. Installed it on my 00 GPR. Love it. Gonna install one on the wife's FXCSHO. I ride probably 75% salt water. Agree with the other poster, no amount of flushing will prevent the stock ring from swelling once galvanic corrosion starts. Someone may make an anode that can be in installed to prevent it. Would be a simple fix. Lots of heavy metal you could drill and tap to install one.

Thread Information