Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SX-R 1500 Jet Pump Bearings and Seals Periodic Maintenance?

Evenin’, all.

Several Questions: First, how difficult a task is - and what is involved in - servicing the jet pump bearings and seals on a 2017-up SX-R 1500 or, is this something that truly requires entrusting one’s machine (and hard earned ducats) to a dealership?

(Even though my mechanical skills are minimal, I know all too well that just because work is done at or by a dealership does NOT come even close to meaning a service item will get done the way I would do it! Plus, I do enjoy learning and quite frankly, it is hard for me to put a price on my knowing something got done - by me - AND I have the ability to do it again, in the future!)

Is there a step-by-step tutorial anywhere, preferably with pics?
    (I searched here in the forums before posting these questions but admittedly, I still have yet to do a search for YouYube videos)

And third, how accurate - or necessary - is the info below, from the Owners Manual?

LOL, something told me to NOT wait until I take delivery of our 2019 SX-R 1500 to get me hands on an Owners Manual and start digesting maintenance , service and care items.

Reason(s) I ask are, I came across this on page 26 of the 2018 Owners Manual:

Jet Pump Bearings and Seals Periodic Maintenance

The jet pump bearings and seals require periodic service. Major engine damage can occur if the jet pump bearings fail due to lack of maintenance. Have your Kawasaki dealer inspect the jet pump bearings and seals after the first 25 hours of use or after one year, whichever comes first; and then every 50 hours or every year, whichever comes first. The jet pump bearings should also be ser- viced before any prolonged storage to prevent any water that may be left in the pump from corroding the bearings and causing premature failure.

Thanks in advance!

Update: Found this earlier GH thread while Googling for videos on pump bearing and seal maintenance...good stuff!:

http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=269844

EDIT: AND THIS VIDEO which is best I’ve located thus far - what a Kool *ss Father & Son production and with good background music to boot!

— even though the vid is for an X2; not sure how much difference there is between an X2 versus a 2017-up SXR?
    Last edited by Thor; 12-13-2018 at 08:18 AM.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    the pump on any stand up takes a serious beating due to numerous full power hookups
    that's the nature of that kind of ski
    the inspection schedule is advised
    You need a solid bench with a quality vise to do pump service
    and a handful of decent tools. A breaker bar you can trust and so on.
    Impeller wrench for your model
    Keep in mind that mistakes can get really expensive really quick
    Always pull the breaker bar to you when working the impeller, do not push it.

The biggest mistakes?

not pulling the tailcone to check for water at the minimum
    not greasing the impeller-driveshaft splines at the end of the season
    the pump has to come off for that and that's the time to check it over.

take lots of pictures as you go

helps reassembly

+1
    I replied to this earlier, but I guess I forgot to hit the Submit button. For the benefit of others, (and as I mentioned in my PM to you), you really do not need the pullers for the newer pumps. I'm not really sure what the difference is, but the pumps on the Ultra 130/150 tend to get stuck a lot more than the other 'Skis. The first removal is often difficult, but subsequent removals aren't bad if you put a dab of grease on the studs.

+1
    Thor: Not sure of your pump is like the other Kawi family of pumps for the 12 and 15Fs and other non tapered housings but I made an extensive post on this a couple years back. I take my pump out now twice a season and it is out of the machine for the winter for me to go though again. Again. This may or may not help you.
    http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=247134

nmpeter, steve45, TJSO712F - Thank You, all!

nmpeter, priceless info and I am bookmarking this thread!

steve45, you did also point this out to me when I acquired about buying a set of those awesome pullers you are crafting (they sure seem like must-haves to me; here’s the thread in case it helps any other 150 owners!: http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=276230)

TJSO712F, Thank YOU - I am heading over to check out that thread, NOW!
    Last edited by Thor; 03-20-2019 at 09:27 PM.

PS - apologies for the lag in replying (I have GOT to get back into the habit of subscribing to any threads I start, so I get notified when replies come in - nothing worse than a forum member who posts a question and then who is never ... heard from ... again :-/ (Not my style!

Quote Originally Posted by TJS0712F View Post
    Thor: Not sure of your pump is like the other Kawi family of pumps for the 12 and 15Fs and other non tapered housings but I made an extensive post on this a couple years back. I take my pump out now twice a season and it is out of the machine for the winter for me to go though again. Again. This may or may not help you.
    http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=247134
    Holee kow ... dayummm ... I got NUTHIN used in that video (except the ski, ha-ha)!

I really want to take care of this machine and get years of service out of it so, I gotta ask; should I be looking for a shop in my area of WNC (Hickory, NC region), now? I don’t currently know ANYone I’d trust to do all that, 101% correctly!

Wow, what a shop!

+1
    Bearings and seals are easy. If the wear ring isn't damaged, it should be fine. If you didn't want to mess with it, you could just send it to Impros.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodsatheart View Post
    Bearings and seals are easy. If the wear ring isn't damaged, it should be fine. If you didn't want to mess with it, you could just send it to Impros.
    Thanks Rods, how do I find “Impros” ? (I did a search here, with not success)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information