Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    +1

New Gp 1800R to do mods

I知 finally upgrading from my Yamaha ex base ski to a 2019 red and black GP 1800 R. Really pumped. Any way. What are some of the must do or should do mods. I ride with people who say this and that but I want a reliable 75mph ski. I知 already doing a RIVA thru Hull cause I like loud stuff. What about BOV? Tail or RIVA ? And for cold air intake make my own or buy one ? I will be doing a stage one flash

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    What kinds of water do you normally ride in? Ocean, big lake, busy, boat chopped, or mostly calm water?

Is speed the primary focus?

Precise handling, good ride in rough water?

Solo or with passenger?

+1
    Mostly bay riding. Can get really choppy from high boat traffic. A lot of water trails. Tight turns and cuts. Some ocean riding for waves. No long trips looking for reliability but being able to race those pesky seadoos lol. A lot of solo riding

+1
    The 2019 GP1800R already has some of the 'upgrades' that 2017 and 2018 GP1800 needed.

2019 GP1800R comes with;
    Performance scoop intake grate
    Better ride plate (may actually be a Riva plate)
    Hull reinforced under hull inserts for intake grate bolts

These are things the 2017-2018 GP1800 did not have.

2019 also includes the plastic intake manifold. My understanding, but you should check with Riva, is that the 'intake ribbon' inside the plastic manifold is not a performance inhibitor and the stock ribbon can be kept in place, even when using a Riva MapTunerX tune.

Without ANY hardware changes a Riva Stage 1 tune would get you to around 75mph.

The Riva Air intake works well and is straightforward to install. I have it on my GP1800.

The Riva Low Octane Stage 1 Plus tune requires 91 octane gasoline, is my understanding.
    The 'regular' Riva Stage 1 Plus tune requires 93 octane or better fuel.

Note: I think all the Riva PLUS tunes for GP1800 SVHO require the cold air intake hardware upgrade.

These tunes will get you close to 80.
    Last edited by K447; 12-13-2018 at 08:31 AM. Reason: plastic manifold

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Slxrider View Post
    Mostly bay riding. Can get really choppy from high boat traffic.

A lot of water trails. Tight turns and cuts.

Some ocean riding for waves. No long trips ... able to race those pesky seadoos lol.

A lot of solo riding
    Well, the factory ride plate on GP1800R is going to be a good starting point.

My own GP1800 is configured more for rough water ride and handling rather than absolute speed. I have the extended Worx ride plate, which helps with rough water ride. It also has the Jim's cut modification, available through the GH store. Helps with tracking and stability at speed, might bump up top speed a little.

The Jim's cut is also available for your ride plate, but you may better off not doing that, at least not right away.

If the 2019 model has the same stock impeller as prior year GP1800 then a Solas impeller can improve both acceleration and top speed. Impeller must be matched to engine power and RPM, so figure out what tune and target RPM you want before buying an impeller.

I have not yet explored aftermarket sponsons, but there are several to choose from. Initial comments have been positive but I have seen very few comparative reviews.

Sponsons can really improve handling characteristics, but can also make the hull less forgiving. That is, somoreme rider skill and experience is required to avoid tossing yourself into orbit.

Regarding solo riding, I will mention that one of the best safety tips is to ride with another ski. A riding buddy can be a lifesaver, literally, should something go wrong on the water. These machines are fast and it is possible to do everything right and still get hurt.

Having good safety practices, lots of extra gear, ropes, even marine VHF radio and cell phone on board ... all of that is good, but having another person right there can be invaluable.

+1
    Gotcha. I’m going to do the ribbon delete while I’m in there. 75 is plenty for me. Gets kinda scary any faster then that. Did 81 on a fzr and kinda scared my self

+1
    I have posted elsewhere about many other upgrades I have done.

That would include;

Automatic water sensing electric bilge pump (I use the Whale 1212)

Dean's modification to jet pump transom plate (155mm to 160mm taper)
    Remove and reseal transom plate (part of above) as factory sealant tends to allow water to seep inside at speed.

I also have a Garmin GPS mounted on a RAM 1.5" ball mount

And probably dozens of smaller upgrades and changes.

+1
    Appreciate all the info. When I said solo I thought you were referring to another passenger. I always ride with a group. But solo on my ski lol

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Slxrider View Post
    Gotcha. I知 going to do the ribbon delete while I知 in there. 75 is plenty for me. ...
    My point was that I think Riva now recommends NOT doing the ribbon delete with the plastic manifold.

10. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    My point was that I think Riva now recommends NOT doing the ribbon delete with the plastic manifold.
    is there a reason behind it. All
    of the people I ride with claim
    its the must do thing

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information