Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Engine Faliure

Engine Faliure

Hey guys my 08 RXP-X gernaded. Complete and catastrophic engine failure. Should I sell it for parts or try to put a new motor in it?

Engine Faliure

Unless you can source the parts used and do the work yourself itíll cost more to fix it than itíll be worth when itís finished.

I kinda figured that, but maybe I dont want to sell it if/when I get a new motor in it. Unless it's a cazy amount more than being able to buy another RXPX that could blow at any moment I think the actual sticker price doesnt matter so much if you're riding it.

Well if price doesnít matter get an engine from brp. Sbt are hit or miss, mostly miss.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by silvalex View Post
    I kinda figured that, but maybe I dont want to sell it if/when I get a new motor in it. Unless it's a cazy amount more than being able to buy another RXPX that could blow at any moment I think the actual sticker price doesnt matter so much if you're riding it.

the "blow at any moment fear" is how I sell rebuilt engines. While you never truly know "what will happen" I can tell you one thing for sure.

Spending more then half the book value on a repair is insane, unless:

1-it's a very rare example
    2-you are so in love with it that you can't just let it go.

no ski I know falls into category 1
    Tell me how much should I invest in a restoration of a 1983 Laverda or a 1972 BMW 750

so unless the hull and gear is in pristine+ shape and you ride the ski 50+ hours a year, part it out.

All you have to do is pay top dollar(10% over book typically) for a ski with actual service records and you'll be good to go

If my memory serves didn't 07/08 have a problem with valve heads snapping off?

there's a long stretch of seadoos I'd shy away from, seems every couple of model years they screw something else up ( like IBR V1)

On the other hand I see 06-09 130 rentals around here run 800+ hours without an internal engine problem

+1
    buy a brp reman for $2500ish, swap that thing in yourself and get back on the water.

+1
    I purchased a complete long block from my dealer for 2399

8. +1 by:

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    if you do your own labor $2500 meets the mark for not spending more then half the book value ( which is 5700 in the blue book)

is that an outright long block or an exchange?

and that also assumes the ski, if running, would demand book value

MSX 150 guy lives on Mr. GP1800's Avatar
    +1
    I don’t get why book value matters any more. If you like the ski fix it. If you don’t plan to sell it then the book value is irrelevant. Then you know what you have vs the unknown of buying another used machine. Obviously there is a point of getting too crazy but even a long block at 2500 is nowhere near that point. These are toys and not assets. And it’s not like a car that will eventually turn to a pile of rust.

+1
    I wouldn’t give my 08 RXP-X for anything myself. 370+ hrs when I lost a SC gear. Figure with that many hours I wouldn’t rebuild the motor. I ended coming across a 08 RXT-X from a friend of mines sister. She only had 100 hrs on the ski, picked up for a great deal. I’m in the process at the moment swapping over the motor and mods in signuature below. Can’t wait to get back on ole girl! Best of luck

Billy D

12. +1 by:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information