Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bad first day out on Ski!

Hi Guys

A friend of my son like the idea of a jetski as he had been out on my yammi a could of times. Well he's been working hard and got plenty of money so went a got a 2017 310R. A friend and myself offered to go out with him on his first day on the water, but he could not wait and went with a couple of mates who know nothing about the water or Jetski's, here is what happened yesterday....

First put Ski in the water without the bungs in and rode around for a while, soon realised and put the Ski back on the trailer to fix. Next rolled Ski with friends on the back in a river, no waves at all. In the rollover lost wrist band and both keys for Ski and some other small stuff. Got ski to side of river and called for emergency rescue (Martime patrol), at side of river got splashed by every other jetski on the river. Finally the Maritime guys turn up and take them back to ramp, but not before they had beenin the hot sun all afternoon. Now has a good dose of Sunburn on his feet with blisters appearing.

Fortunately, this was the worst thing that happened and now swears he wont go out again till he can ride with someone experienced. I expect some new Keys will cost him a bit not too mention the hassell factor.

Was well over 90F yesterday so not nice to be stuck in the mud on side of the river.

Cheers
    Dave
    FX SHO
    Syd Australia.
    Last edited by Spi200; 12-09-2018 at 05:43 AM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by Spi200 View Post
    Hi Guys

A friend of my son like the idea of a jetski as he had been out on my yammi a could of times. Well he's been working hard and got plenty of money so went a got a 2017 310R. A friend and myself offered to go out with him on his first day on the water, but he could not wait and went with a couple of mates who know nothing about the water or Jetski's, here is what happened yesterday....

First put Ski in the water without the bungs in and rode around for a while, soon realised and put the Ski back on the trailer to fix. Next rolled Ski with friends on the back in a river, no waves at all. In the rollover lost wrist band and both keys for Ski and some other small stuff. Got ski to side of river and called for emergency rescue (Martime patrol), at side of river got splashed by every other jetski on the river. Finally the Maritime guys turn up and take them back to ramp, but not before they had beenin the hot sun all afternoon. Now has a good dose of Sunburn on his feet with blisters appearing.

Fortunately, this was the worst thing that happened and now swears he wont go out again till he can ride with someone experienced. I expect some new Keys will cost him a bit not too mention the hassell factor.

Was well over 90F yesterday so not nice to be stuck in the mud on side of the river.

Cheers
    Dave
    FX SHO
    Syd Australia.
    All

Seems he only lost the wrist band and not the keys, so only up for a few dollars. Got the info 2nd hand so sorry for the mistake. Will go out for a ride with him next week and show him the ropes.

Cheers

3. +1 by:

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Spi200 View Post
    All

Seems he only lost the wrist band and not the keys, so only up for a few dollars. Got the info 2nd hand so sorry for the mistake. Will go out for a ride with him next week and show him the ropes.

Cheers
    My suggestions:

Always, always, carry a spare lanyard (at least one, if not two). Not in the glove box, in the under seat storage or securely in the front storage. Lanyards are not expensive.

Tips: Bright color lanyard cords are a good thing, much easier to see if dropped into the water or even on the ground somewhere.

Clip the lanyard to the PFD, not on the wrist. Allows both hands to be free, and keeps the lanyard with the rider when getting off the watercraft at a dock, etc. Lanyard is always where the PFD is, no losing track of it.

Buy a ‘universal’ lanyard and stash it somewhere on board. One day it may help a friend (or a stranger you encounter on the water) when they lose (or break) their lanyard.

Electronic security keys (Kawasaki and Yamaha) should NOT be kept together, if the ski has more than one. One should be present for riding, the other should be either securely stowed onboard or, my suggestion, kept in the tow vehicle.

A floating fob should be attached to each electronic key, in a bright color foam.

On Kawasaki losing all the security keys means a new ECU must be purchased. Or a third party ‘key service’ must be used.

5. +1 by:

+1
    When they rolled the 'Ski, I hope they flipped it back upright quickly so they didn't get water in the engine!

7. +1 by:

Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post
    When they rolled the 'Ski, I hope they flipped it back upright quickly so they didn't get water in the engine!
    I hope he gave it all a good wash down inside as well when he got back home. Got another update from his friend, went to put it back on trailer and his friends had not engaged the rachet and did not connect the safety chain so as he went to drive up the ramp the Ski went off the back (Bunks not rollers), luckily the ski had not got up the ramp and fell in shallow water so only got a small bump and rash from the concrete. Again could have been so bad.
    He had such a bad day he went to the pub with freinds (not a great idea when you have been in the sun all day) and had a few drinks, well he was so sick from the Sunburn and probably dehydration that he never came back for his car and best we can tell is he was too sick for work on Monday morning. His car still stitting at friends house.

I will tell him about the tips from above.

Dave

+1
    These are the people that ruin it for us.

They are lucky they didnt kill each other. Would you take off on a street bike without any experience or a safety briefing? Hell no.
    Sure its easy to hop on a ski without any experience, but it can be dangerous as all hell. Especially on anything with over 150hp. A 310? I hate to say it, but the kid needs some education on how not to die on that thing before he goes out again. Death is a very real thing and it'll get at you real quick when playing with high performance motor sports.

I would offer that the kid is gaining experience at an incredible rate! His learning curve is nearly a vertical line. He'll be ok soon (if nothing really BAD happens first).

+1
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Troll.jpg 
Views:	294 
Size:	47.4 KB 
ID:	442742  

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    the SLO key should _always_ be left at home. Lose both and it's becomes a painfully expensive mistake. Lose one, and you can use the other one to initiate a key programming sequence for a new blank key. Without it, the ECU is a expensive doorstop with a good backstory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information