Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

To Superjet, or not?

First of all, Happy Holidays to all! (We winter-stored our VXR back in October and, all day today I am moving firewood ahead of an approaching snow dump and I’m looking down the slope at the lake thinking, “*#@^~§!!!! , NOW I know why so many pwc’ers have full wetsuits!

To the point: trying to decide if a SuperJet might be the answer to my jonsing for more ‘action’ on our lake or a $7,000+ mistake ...

Last year we jumped into the sport with a 20I8 VXR and absolutely love everything about it. The wife neither desires or needs anymore than the VXR but, I find myself wanting to get into more carving and just plain taking things ”to the edge” more.

I do know a supercharged GP1800 isn’t for me (at least not in 2019

So ... I thought a Spark TRIXX my sate my thirst in 2019 but, Reliability really is Numero Uno and ive been put off by what seem to be a lot more Spark owner posting about “issues” than I am 100% comfortable with ...

What has me womdering about the SuperJet are comments by a couple people, one of them a dealer rep., who say, “Superjets are a constant workout,” etc.

But then, at 58 and 225, maybe a regular workout is what I need (we live smack on the lake so, I’d be porting the machine at our dock, (0 yards or so from the back door ...

Kinda torn and would appreciate any experience that can be shared ...

+1
    As a now larger mature man who enjoyed an FX1 and then a Superjet until a couple of years ago, I say YES! I am 5'10" and about 210 and rode an FX1 and then an '08 Superjet until back surgery damaged the nerves in my back and messed up my balance. It was the most fun an old man can have! I bought my last Superjet at age 60! I also always owned sit downs for ordinary day to day use with the family. But, there is nothing like getting out alone on a stand-up with no one to bother you! And yes, it is a hell of a work out! It sure beats the normal usual monotonous exercise. I say go for it and don't look back! If my back wasn't screwed up, I would still own a stand-up as a second ski. I'm now 66 and about to buy about my 12th new ski, but due to circumstances, it will be a new Waverunner FX HO. Go for it and enjoy it! It really screws up the kids today that see you, who don't even know what a real ski is!!!!

3. +1 by:

+1
    Don't worry, if you've never ridden a stand-up. You may look like a monkey screwing a football for the first couple of days, but it will all come together eventually, and really be worth it!

Thanks, thomslik!

So much to learn, on top of progressive-operator-skills-building!

- For instance, do the SuperJets trailer similar to sit-on pwc’s?
    - How about porting? (We are VERY happy with the HydroHoist X-treme pwc port we had attached to our floating dock for our VXR, wondering if the rollers system they use will work with / for a SuperJet hull also?) If so, no doubt we’ll be getting a second one; great people to deal with!)
    - Straight gas or is there a gasil mix ratio? (We are blessed with ready access to zero ethanol fuel, which I never take for granted!
    - Is Regular preventative and annual winter storage maintenance similar to our 1.8 VXR? (love that 1.8 - a pleasure to maintain !!!)

[PS - I too am in NC, on near-flat Rhodhiss Lake (or Lake Rhodhiss? What the h*ll, ha-ha! between Hickory and Morganton. It’s relatively a tiny lake and for that reason, almost empty most weekdays, even though it spills into much larger Lake Hickory (with its frequent crazy boat traffic some summer weekends!). Our little “pond” is probably not gonna stay this quiet much longer so, we’re enjoying it as much as we can, while we can!]

Thanks again; getting kinda stoked and haven’t even divulged any of this to our son, a 13yoa grandson and our daughter-in-law’s brother who was semi-pro dirt bike racer, yet!

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    All stand-up watercraft are 2-stroke with oil pre-mixed into the gasoline. Similar 2-stroke maintenance practices, 2-stroke engine lifespan before rebuild, etc.

EXCEPT the Kawasaki SXR-1500. That has a modern 4-stroke engine, generally very reliable, same maintenance methods as other 4-stroke watercraft.

The SXR-1500 is also a larger hull than all the other stand-ups. Heavier too. More stable, able to carry heavier riders.

There is talk that some other stand-ups will eventually become available with 4-stroke engine. It is unclear when/if that will actually happen.

+1
    The kids will love a stand up, ours did and rode till well into families of their own and needed something for everybody. I am older and a bit heavier than you and a stand up is still a ball, but I wouldn't want it for my only ski. As a second fun toy yes. Stand ups are making a resurgence in popularity up here. The original Blasters are also alot of fun.

LT1GMC, Thank You for sharing your experience - experience counts so much when I am researching a pending decision!

K447, ALWAYS appreciate your input man; LOL, you given me MORE to think about (which is cool cuz, with 12” of fresh snow outside, other than shoveling, ain’t too much else goin’ o ‘round these parts for next bunch o’ days.

i will share this; despite my 2001 head trauma and the cervical-thoracic injuries I carry to this day, after humping firewood all day yesterday and shoveling (WET!) snow today I told my wife, “Ant no way any standup is gonna beat me any worse than I’ve beat myself the last 2 days, F___ it, we’re going for it!”

She just rolls her eyes and shakes her head (she’s been with me for close to 20 years so, she knows me pretty well, ha-ha!)

Thanks to everyone whose replied thus far and thanks in advance to any who can add their experience(s) !!!

+1
    The superjet is by far the most entertaining ski to ride on the market. The freedom of standing up on one is a feeling unparalleled by anything including the sxr. Hell of a workout and very rewarding to learn to ride. A new superjet is the best ski you can currently buy.

+1
    54 here, 6'1" 215 lbs. GET THE SJ!!!! you will not regret it. You're gonna find out really quick just how boring the VXR is.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by carlsmith45 View Post
    The freedom of standing up on one is a feeling unparalleled by anything including the sxr. Hell of a workout
    Try a Flyboard for real freedom.......

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information