Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    +1
    What's the piston to cylinder clearance? At 126 hours on a 951 that's obviously never seen maintenance I'm betting it's excessive. That rocking and rattling piston back and forth could have caused harmonics that ate the shoulder off the rave allowing it to drop in a bit.

+1
    Thanks for that info. I will check that. Under closer inspection the damage to the rave is minimal. I wonder if it just cracked or damaged a ring because of excessive wear. (like you mentioned) I did note the setting of the oil pump was lean but as I stated earlier, the walls have no real scoring like you would typically see on water intrusion. It may also be hard to check excessive wear on the damaged piston but I am going to check the good one. See what that one measures.

Update:

The good cylinder was .007 larger than the piston. So a bit of slop. My engine builder claims that 126 hours is not that bad for a typical 951. This one could have developed more slop than the good side, rocked a bit and hooked the ring which snapped it off and began the process of zero compression.

Bottom line is I learned something new from this process I never seen before. Thanks for all the good advise here. I always enjoy posting.
    Last edited by diamondwatercraft; 12-17-2018 at 03:56 PM.

+1
    951's at 100 hrs are high hour no matter what anybody says.

Detonation because of neglected carbs caused your failure.

4. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by water worx View Post
    951's at 100 hrs are high hour no matter what anybody says.

Detonation because of neglected carbs caused your failure.
    Agreed

+1
    The update on this machine is that the fuel lines clogged the carbs. To the point that they leaned out, therefore, we had the meltdown. On the way to the complete rebuild.

+1
    Is this a red with black trim GSX? If so, keep me in mind when you're ready to sell it....or you just want to ride near Hell and let me test drive it!!!

+1
    I will keep you in mind. I have a habit of finding machines that need tlc and putting them back together. Then some more either find me or I find them and I end up with too many to keep. I love the way this thing looks and the body is really nice on it. I have heard too that you can push 62 mph with just a few improvements like prok's and a prop.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by diamondwatercraft View Post
    I will keep you in mind. I have a habit of finding machines that need tlc and putting them back together. Then some more either find me or I find them and I end up with too many to keep. I love the way this thing looks and the body is really nice on it. I have heard too that you can push 62 mph with just a few improvements like prok's and a prop.
    Cool. I have a purple '96 GSX that I love dearly, but I'd unload it in a heartbeat to get yours. I never liked the GSX-L with red/purple, but the black makes all the difference!

+1
    Completed. Got 3 hours on it so far. Running very good. Pretty happy with the way it turned out. I have seen them up for sale for $3500 and $1200. Obviously it is dependant on condition. Opinions of what this one is worth? It has 140 hours on it right now. It is in Michigan, and it is a fresh water boat. The front hood across the gauges is missing. Not looking to sell just yet just curious.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190621_074225.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	82.3 KB 
ID:	449885   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190621_074139.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	91.4 KB 
ID:	449884  

+1
    So after a tank of pre-mix I am adjusting the low speed screws because of a bog on the low end.
    I can start it cold with no choke.

This setup has F/A's. Regular 87 fuel and stock compression. The carbs do have the acceleration pump.

Mains 167
    Pilot 85
    N&S 2.0
    HS screw closed
    LS screw 1.5
    Pop off about 20

I know its tough to dial it in with double oil but it sure seems rich on the low end. I have attempted to turn in the low speed screws but it really has had no effect. Any suggestions? I have seen this setup and also a N&S of 2.3. I think that would make it even more rich. Mid range and top end is real fine! Pulls hard after 4000.

Update: 2.5 hours on it today. Fresh set of plugs and regular fuel with no oil mixed. I also dialed the LS screws in about .75 of a turn.

Lost the low end bog! Does now pull hard from start to finish. Turning just about 6950 rpm with a top dream o meter speed of 63 mph!
    Pretty damn happy with that for sure.
    Last edited by diamondwatercraft; 07-09-2019 at 07:55 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information