+1

O2 AFR sensor threadlock

When installing the O2 sensor for AFR, does anyone use a threadlock of any sort to avoid loosening from vibration? Is it an issue? Thanks

+1
    The O2 sensor actually comes with anti seize on it. I wouldnt use locktite in case you ever want it to come out. ive never had a problem with the o2 vibrating loose.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmicbrut View Post
    The O2 sensor actually comes with anti seize on it. I wouldnt use locktite in case you ever want it to come out. ive never had a problem with the o2 vibrating loose.
    Just asking as the Bosch O2 sensor threads feel good while tightening, but there is very little threads on the sensor.. Also concerned about the Aluminum with steel threads coming together.. Sensor goes in nicely but has some side to side play while screwing it down. I guess very little torque should be applied to crush the crush washer on the sensor? To avoid stripping aluminum threads. Thank you.

+1
    I think your overthinking / being too worried. Just tighten down snug and call it a day. Unless your trying to tighten it with an impact gun you will be fine.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by tiderider View Post
    Just asking as the Bosch O2 sensor threads feel good while tightening, but there is very little threads on the sensor.. Also concerned about the Aluminum with steel threads coming together.. Sensor goes in nicely but has some side to side play while screwing it down. I guess very little torque should be applied to crush the crush washer on the sensor? To avoid stripping aluminum threads. Thank you.
    Another thing to keep in mind is you will need to replace the sensor at least once a season most likely . I myself have replaced it up to 3 times a season. The anti seize will help the threads of the o2 from hanging up inside the manifold. All ive ever done is tightened the sensor with a wrench and the crush washer will keep it in place. No need to nuts with tightening.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmicbrut View Post
    Another thing to keep in mind is you will need to replace the sensor at least once a season most likely . I myself have replaced it up to 3 times a season. The anti seize will help the threads of the o2 from hanging up inside the manifold. All ive ever done is tightened the sensor with a wrench and the crush washer will keep it in place. No need to nuts with tightening.
    Did you have your O2 boss grinded down so that the O2 tip comes closer to the exhaust stream? I read on a thread that simply drilling and tapping for the O2 sensor without grinding the boss area down had spot on AFR readings and O2 life of 3 seasons.. Thanks again.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by tiderider View Post
    Did you have your O2 boss grinded down so that the O2 tip comes closer to the exhaust stream? I read on a thread that simply drilling and tapping for the O2 sensor without grinding the boss area down had spot on AFR readings and O2 life of 3 seasons.. Thanks again.
    The boss wasnt ground down on mine but its off a 2014 ski. I do believe you have to grind the boss down on the newer manifolds but I could be mistaken.

+1
    On the newer manifolds you need to mill a spot for the sensor to sit flush on. Neither of them extend into the exhaust stream. This is not something you want to do by yourself without the proper tools and experience, you want the threads to be perfect else your sensor will vibrate out...ask me how I know

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F69D1CBF-4BBD-4B17-8B4E-083288685BD9.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	82.5 KB 
ID:	442528   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	95B733A3-28D3-453E-82B3-4C7886A85728.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	92.6 KB 
ID:	442529  

+1
    Nice job!!
    I did file the surface clean of pits/paint so it sits flush onto a smooth surface. There are several members who haven't grinded it down and are getting good AFR readings with long O2 life. I was able to tighten down the O2 sensor to the point of feeling the crush washer set. I also twisted the wiring slightly and zip it to create a clockwise tension for vibration issue/loosen issues.. Its already installed and going to see how it reads in the summer time.. I still have to swap out the springs and retainers and adding the girdle as insurance..

Thank you for sharing with those pictures. Very nice!

Thread Information