Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    +1

Jet ski rental in the Dominican Republic

I'm planning to take some vacation in Puerto Plata this upcoming winter and would like to rent a jet ski during my stay. Does anyone knows about rental outlets in this area?
    Thanks

+1
    do a google search, I see several...

+1
    Always be weary of rental scams while abroad in 3rd-world countries.
    Case-in-point.... there is a youtube video online depicting a tourist couple in Thailand renting a pair of skis.... upon returning to the beach, the get accussed of damaging the skis. It's a scam, as the skis already had the cosmetic damage previously. Situation escalates, when a local cop shows up (also "in" on it). Cash is needed to make it all "go away".

+1
    My parents just got back from the DR and they said they hated it. Seems like a lot of people keep saying this place is great. Parents got sick as could be, Uncle with them went to the hospital. Montezuma's Revenge and dehydration. No health insurance, cost him $1,000USD for a 30 minute thing.

I would avoid, there's way better places to go. There will be plenty of scams, and they love to go after inexperienced travelers. Most of these countries will pull scams and accuse you of doing things you didn't do, and when the police show up they will take their side unless you pay all of them. These are people who make like $50 a day (when I went to Cuba they make $40 a month), they see you with $500 and you are like a Bill Gates to them.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by bill321 View Post
    do a google search, I see several...
    I did, but it does not tell me if there are scamming tourists.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by TimeBandit View Post
    Always be weary of rental scams while abroad in 3rd-world countries.
    Case-in-point.... there is a youtube video online depicting a tourist couple in Thailand renting a pair of skis.... upon returning to the beach, the get accussed of damaging the skis. It's a scam, as the skis already had the cosmetic damage previously. Situation escalates, when a local cop shows up (also "in" on it). Cash is needed to make it all "go away".
    Yeah and that's why I want some reference on rental outlets prior to get there. Thanks!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by sdlvx View Post
    My parents just got back from the DR and they said they hated it. Seems like a lot of people keep saying this place is great. Parents got sick as could be, Uncle with them went to the hospital. Montezuma's Revenge and dehydration. No health insurance, cost him $1,000USD for a 30 minute thing.

I would avoid, there's way better places to go. There will be plenty of scams, and they love to go after inexperienced travelers. Most of these countries will pull scams and accuse you of doing things you didn't do, and when the police show up they will take their side unless you pay all of them. These are people who make like $50 a day (when I went to Cuba they make $40 a month), they see you with $500 and you are like a Bill Gates to them.
    I use to go to Florida during the winter time and did rent a jetski there, but with the current tightening rules on immigration, I just don't want to run into any trouble at the US border. Didn't have any problem in the past, but I've seen in the news bad stories from some Canadians travelling to the US.
    You're right about scams in the countries you mentioned and I want to avoid them.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by hbernier View Post
    I use to go to Florida during the winter time and did rent a jetski there, but with the current tightening rules on immigration, I just don't want to run into any trouble at the US border.

Didn't have any problem in the past, but I've seen in the news bad stories from some Canadians travelling to the US.
    You're right about scams in the countries you mentioned and I want to avoid them.
    Imigration is when you intend to move there to live, not just visit and return to Canada. There are hundreds of thousands of Canadians in the USA every winter, as visiting 'snowbirds'.

US border control is mainly interested in whether you pose any sort of threat or concern. And whether you are eligible for entry (fully legal).

Taking your Canadian PWC to Florida *, if that was your alternative, mainly involves having proper paperwork for the watercraft and for the trailer. Ownership proof for each, licence plate and paper for the trailer.

Remember you need correct paperwork for both directions. Coming back into Canada you need to prove they are yours and were legally in Canada prior to departure.

When I travel into the US, I stop at the CANADA border office and request a 'Green card' for each watercraft and for the trailer. They record the HIN and VIN numbers, and the agent signs the card. That is your 'proof' that they were in Canada already. Keep that card for when you return to Canada.

Also get a green card for other valuable items, such as computer, nice camera, etc.

You may or may not ever need the green card when returning to Canada, but there is no fee for requesting one prior to exiting Canada, and if you ever need it, good to have.

If you have a Canada Border Services office nearby you can request the green card long before you travel south. You just need to show up in person, with the items you want listed on the card.

* Of course, it would be prudent to ensure the trailer was roadworthy. It is very common for trailers that are mostly used for local trips to the launch ramp, to 'unexpectedly' have troubles during a long distance road trip. Especially older trailers.

Tips:

Trailer tires should be no older than five years, per the DOT date code on the sidewall.

Trailer wheel bearings should be checked. Or better yet, sinply buy new bearings or entire wheel hubs and install with fresh grease prior to the long road trip. New replacement wheel hub kits are not expensive, bearing kits even less (but require some work to install into the old hubs).

Electrical - now would be the time to upgrade to all LED lights on the trailer. Sealed, waterproof, reliable, much lower heat and electrical draw compared to traditional incandescent lamps.

Inspect all the wiring, especially around the lights and the tongue connectors. Same with the tow car wiring. And the tow ball, tongue coupler latch slack and lock, etc.

Inspect the trailer bunks for loose bolts, rust, any signs of wood rot. Replace the bunks if there are any signs of weakening.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by hbernier View Post
    I use to go to Florida during the winter time and did rent a jetski there, but with the current tightening rules on immigration, I just don't want to run into any trouble at the US border. Didn't have any problem in the past, but I've seen in the news bad stories from some Canadians travelling to the US.
    Immigration means you're going to stay in a place permanently. You'll just be getting a tourist visa or something similar, it's not a big deal. Just as long as you can show you're going to leave the country when you are legally obligated to it should be fine.

+1
    I think Canadians can not stay longer than 6 months in the US.....otherwise they lose their freebies back home...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information