Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15
  1. #1

    Carbon seal/cavitation on modified ski.

    Guys I'm beating my head into the wall trying to get the carbon seal to stop blowing water in and cavitaing under hard acceleration out the hole. It's a 2006 RXP. 137+4 Charger, Gen 3 intercooler, 8800 rev limet/tune and a solas 15/20 -2 prop.
    I caint get it to stop banging the rev limiter out the hole.
    New carbon seal, bellow, rubber shaft bumper, the new 5mm extra thick hat, motor all the way back, alignment good, new snap ring, 2 fat o rings around the bellow. The darn thing is tight as hell and runs very true.
    I have run it without the seat and verified it onley leaks under hard acceleration.
    Thinking of trying the speedfreaks bellow clamp. I just dont know how tighter I could possibly get it.
    Any ideas?


  2. #2
    DR2006RXP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    2,751
    +1
    183
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan408 View Post
    Guys I'm beating my head into the wall trying to get the carbon seal to stop blowing water in and cavitaing under hard acceleration out the hole. It's a 2006 RXP. 137+4 Charger, Gen 3 intercooler, 8800 rev limet/tune and a solas 15/20 -2 prop.
    I caint get it to stop banging the rev limiter out the hole.
    New carbon seal, bellow, rubber shaft bumper, the new 5mm extra thick hat, motor all the way back, alignment good, new snap ring, 2 fat o rings around the bellow. The darn thing is tight as hell and runs very true.
    I have run it without the seat and verified it onley leaks under hard acceleration.
    Thinking of trying the speedfreaks bellow clamp. I just dont know how tighter I could possibly get it.
    Any ideas?
    I have one speed freak below if you need it , never used it, make sure engine mounts are good , pull on the engine , engine alignment is also crucial .

  3. #3
    carlosdelgado's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Haverhill, South Florida
    Posts
    1,678
    +1
    103
    Which Prop Solas 15/20 Minus2mm!!! This Pitch "MAY" be a bit too Small. I'd suggest to Alignment Done. Also, Check the wear Ring Clearance/Condition.

  4. #4
    RiverRat71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Flint River, GA
    Posts
    417
    +1
    80
    By chance are you using Kanaflex? RR

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by carlosdelgado View Post
    Which Prop Solas 15/20 Minus2mm!!! This Pitch "MAY" be a bit too Small. I'd suggest to Alignment Done. Also, Check the wear Ring Clearance/Condition.
    Yes solas 15/20 minus 2 of trailing edge. I installed it as a 15/20 but was a few hundred short of my target RPM so I took 2 mm out. I had the same leak/cavitation problem before I adjusted the trailing edge.

    As for alignment I dont have the official tool. The way I have done it is with the pump removed and shaft slid in the pto. Then I pick up on the shaft until it tops out and make a measurement from the center of shaft to outer edge of pump seal area. I then push the shaft down then left to right until I have the same measurement center of shaft to outer edge of pump seal area all the way around. When I assemble everything back together the carbon seal and hat appears to be perfectly centered and even contact all the way around.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by RiverRat71 View Post
    By chance are you using Kanaflex? RR
    Yes I do and yes it's close to the seal. Thought this my be my problem and installed big ass zip tie to hold it up and did not help. I can feel clearnce between the kanaflex and seal. With the heavy zip tie installed and seat off I can see the kanaflex seems to stay well put over the seal. I dont know at this point it seams like I have tried everything.

  7. #7
    Were ring is new.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan408 View Post
    Yes solas 15/20 minus 2 of trailing edge. I installed it as a 15/20 but was a few hundred short of my target RPM so I took 2 mm out. I had the same leak/cavitation problem before I adjusted the trailing edge.

    As for alignment I dont have the official tool. The way I have done it is with the pump removed and shaft slid in the pto. Then I pick up on the shaft until it tops out and make a measurement from the center of shaft to outer edge of pump seal area. I then push the shaft down then left to right until I have the same measurement center of shaft to outer edge of pump seal area all the way around. When I assemble everything back together the carbon seal and hat appears to be perfectly centered and even contact all the way around.
    You need to get your hands on the alignment tool.

  9. +1 by:


  10. #9

    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    London UK
    Posts
    77
    +1
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan408 View Post
    Yes solas 15/20 minus 2 of trailing edge. I installed it as a 15/20 but was a few hundred short of my target RPM so I took 2 mm out. I had the same leak/cavitation problem before I adjusted the trailing edge.

    As for alignment I dont have the official tool. The way I have done it is with the pump removed and shaft slid in the pto. Then I pick up on the shaft until it tops out and make a measurement from the center of shaft to outer edge of pump seal area. I then push the shaft down then left to right until I have the same measurement center of shaft to outer edge of pump seal area all the way around. When I assemble everything back together the carbon seal and hat appears to be perfectly centered and even contact all the way around.
    As already said you need to get a tool, those figures can be correct and the engine not in straight.

  11. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by DR2006RXP View Post
    I have one speed freak below if you need it , never used it, make sure engine mounts are good , pull on the engine , engine alignment is also crucial .
    PM me a picture and price. Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 31
    Last Post: 02-25-2019, 05:15 PM
  2. Replies: 49
    Last Post: 08-01-2017, 08:26 AM
  3. Replies: 23
    Last Post: 07-21-2015, 05:04 PM
  4. Replies: 100
    Last Post: 10-11-2013, 09:12 AM
  5. Carbon seal cavitation
    By monaroman76 in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 12-27-2011, 01:59 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •