Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

2018 GTR230. Carbon seal failure (twice). Once at 35 hours, again at 42. Videos here;

My 2018 GTR230 had a carbon seal failure with symptoms becoming apparent at right about 32 hours on the hour meter.

The first symptoms were some seemingly excessive water draining from the drain plugs while the ski was still on the boat ramp after having been pulled out of the water. Not a 'ton'. but enough to tell me that something was amiss.

Then, I started noticing some salt residue on the motor. It was apparent to me that the only way this could occur was from water dripping, or more likely spraying somewhere inside the engine compartment.

A friend of mine saw the salt residue on top of the motor and without a second breath he said; 'carbon seal'.

In the back of my mind I kind of knew that must be the cause of my problems, carbon seal failure. However, I did not know what or where the was.

I told the dealer about this, and they said that my issue was normal, and that it was not unusual to have water in the hull.

I asked how the salt residue may be getting on top of the motor, as if water had been spraying all over the motor.

This part is troublesome; I was told by an employee of the dealership service department verbally, and in an email that the cause of the salt residue on my motor was someone (me) sitting on the seat with wet swim trunks. They said the water from the wet swim trunks certainly must have leaked through the seat onto the motor. Spectacular, huh?

I asked if the problem could possibly be a failed carbon seal. The service manager told me that was not my problem. He said these carbon seals can last upwards of 4000 hours (not a typographical error, four thousand). He said he had seen rental SeaDoos with that many hours, and no carbon seal failure. Alrighty then.

So, I told the service manager that I thought the issue may be the carbon seal. So, we went to a ski that had the motor removed, and he showed me where the carbon seal was, and explained once again that the do not fail.

I told him that I was going to mount a GoPro camera inside the hull, and mount lights onto the underside of the seat, and record what happens while the ski is running.

He said that would be a great idea, that he had never seen such footage and it would be really cool to see that regardless of whether it would reveal a failed carbon seal.

So, I mounted the lights and camera, and the footage clearly showed water slinging right from the carbon seal.

So, the folks at the dealership, in the service department were somewhat apologetic, and replaced my carbon seal under warranty.

The repair took one day. No complaints at all as far as the time frame to make the repair. They really were great in this regard.

The repair was performed with 35 hours on the hour meter if I remember correctly.

I asked them what caused the carbon seal to fail like that.

They said it was a defective carbon seal, and said they had never seen that happen before. (Ummm, okay.)

I told them that if no other repairs or adjustments were made to the ski, that I was concerned that the same problem may arise again.

They gave all assurances that the problem would not occur again. The said they opened a case with BRP, and provided a case number when I asked for it.

So, at about 40 or 41 hours I tied my ski up to the dock overnight, instead of taking it out of the water. My marina staff had left for the day, there was nobody to pull it out. I have done this only 3 times in the skis life.

The next day, before pulling the ski out, I noticed that there seemed to be an excessive amount of water in the hull. I took off the seat and specifically checked.

So, I rinsed the hull out thoroughly with the ski tilted back, flushed the motor as usual, and sprayed a bit more BRP spray in there than usual.

I emailed the dealer and let them know that something seemed wrong, as all that water had gotten in the hull. I also told them that I had not seen any salt reside on the motor again (yet).

Then, after the next time I used the ski I noticed the salt residue again.

Salt water was definitely being sprayed onto the motor again.

So, I used the ski once more, then on the next use, I once again mounted the GoPro inside the hull.

Sure enough, the carbon seal was leaking / spraying water again.

I emailed the dealer, and I am awaiting a response.

I have included pictures of the salt residue on top of the motor from the first incident of the carbon seal failure.

Also included are pictures of the worn carbon seal that was taken off to make the first (and yet only) repair / replacement.

Also, here are links to videos of the removed carbon seal, and the footage from the GoPro inside the hull which shows the water spraying into the hull;

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Worn Carbon Ring.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	33.8 KB 
ID:	442237   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20181001_161520.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	63.6 KB 
ID:	442238   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20181001_161507.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	106.5 KB 
ID:	442239   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20181001_161515.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	55.0 KB 
ID:	442240  

+1

2018 GTR230. Carbon seal failure (twice). Once at 35 hours, again at 42. Videos here;

Obvious engine miss alignment or broken engine mount, they should had confirmed engine alignment and looked for bad engine mounts , with the hours being that low unless you are wave jumping they should be ok , but unless they confirm the real issue this will keep happening .

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by DR2006RXP View Post
    Obvious engine miss alignment or broken engine mount, they should had confirmed engine alignment and looked for bad engine mounts , with the hours being that low unless you are wave jumping they should be ok , but unless they confirm the real issue this will keep happening .
    Good example of why one should have a shop manual and learn how to do repairs and/or maintenance.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 1tommygunner1927 View Post
    Good example of why one should have a shop manual and learn how to do repairs and/or maintenance.
    I got mixed feeling on that thought , one expects a manufacturer to warranty And at least have a trouble free 12 months before BEST kicks in if you purchased it , many customers are like many car owners just fill up and ride and pay top dollar at the dealership for some one certified to keep it in tip-top shape , hence preventive maintenance is fixing it before it actually brakes down.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by DR2006RXP View Post
    I got mixed feeling on that thought , one expects a manufacturer to warranty And at least have a trouble free 12 months before BEST kicks in if you purchased it , many customers are like many car owners just fill up and ride and pay top dollar at the dealership for some one certified to keep it in tip-top shape , hence preventive maintenance is fixing it before it actually brakes down.
    In my view, his dealer didn't give a hoot, even after seeing the damaged carbon seal; dealer didn't fix the cause the of damage.
    Last edited by 1tommygunner1927; 11-22-2018 at 11:42 PM.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 1tommygunner1927 View Post
    In my view, his dealer didn't give a hoot, even after seeing the damaged carbon seal; dealer didn't fix the cause the of damage.
    Common ground , I agree with you .

AWA MEMBER
    +1
    I just went through this check the motor mounts 1 might be bad

+1
    Dolphin-There is a lot of assuming going on here so just ignore it. If you can find a dealer with more experienced techs, that will help. You have a legitimate problem that happens too often with Sea-Doos. My '17 RXT-260 is in the shop for the second time with a carbon seal problem. I have a very competent tech at one of the largest dealers in the nation working on it and he is stumped.

This carbon seal design has been problematic since the year it was introduced in 1996. IMO there are too many variables that need to be controlled in order for it to work. If all of the variables go the right way the seal will be maintained indefinitely. When they don't, a castastrophic leak occurs and the ski sinks.

9. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by pro1200 View Post
    Dolphin-There is a lot of assuming going on here so just ignore it.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by pro1200 View Post
    Dolphin-There is a lot of assuming going on here so just ignore it. If you can find a dealer with more experienced techs, that will help. You have a legitimate problem that happens too often with Sea-Doos. My '17 RXT-260 is in the shop for the second time with a carbon seal problem. I have a very competent tech at one of the largest dealers in the nation working on it and he is stumped.

This carbon seal design has been problematic since the year it was introduced in 1996. IMO there are too many variables that need to be controlled in order for it to work. If all of the variables go the right way the seal will be maintained indefinitely. When they don't, a castastrophic leak occurs and the ski sinks.
    Your tech is an idiot if he can figure why your carbon seal isnít properly.

Itís about the simplest, idiot proof system there is ... as long as everything aligned properly, no motor mounts are broke, you keep debris and sand out of that area of the pump tunnel, Donít rev your ski on the trailer like you are doing a burn out in a car, donít flush more than 60 sec, inspect your seal at regular intervals, replace as needed along with the hat, boot, c clip, orings in the hat and the pto. If you have to replace any of those items, replace them all. They will easily last 150-200hrs with proper care. They are wear items and should be replaced as the ski ages or a lot of hours. The boot will loose its spring over time. Their are measurable specifications for all that stuff in the manual. In fact their is a spec for every single thing in the manual, some of them more important than others. For example not properly torqueing the bolts that connect the pump to the hull will cause your alignment to be off. Good-n-tight ... isnít good enough in the pump area. Not having the pump to engine distance set correctly will cause issues. Honestly itís not rocket science, read the service manual and follow the instructions.

What Seadoo had them in 1996? My 97 hx didnít have one, neither did my 2000 xpl.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information