Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    +1

Missing/Surging + SC issues

Hello all

Been a while since i have posted on here

My ski is a 08 GTX LTD 215 with xcharger, fizzle ic, vtech tune etc etc

I have not used my ski in the last 4-5 years, only put a few hours on it in that time with 12-18months between rides.
    Today i took it out for its first ride in 12months (start of summer in Aus), when i put it away it was working perfectly.
    Serviced it after last ride last summer oil / plugs / filter.

Got out of the marina, went to get going about got to around 4-5k RPM and it started surging / missing / no power.
    Dropping back to idle it would start mostly behaving after a few seconds.
    Idled back in and back on the trailer

Got it home and cleaned up.
    First i checked all the plugs/coils for obvious damage and then did a compression test.
    Plugs all looked great (basically new...), nothing obvious with the coil packs and compression was 137psi in all 3 cylinders.
    Next i pulled the intake off the supercharger to find a few blades damaged doh!
    Pulled the super charger expecting bearings to be gone and/or clutches
    but looking at it the bearings feel fine and the front case has not been contacted by the impeller but multiple broken blades on the front.
    Clutches intact and slipping at about 115in/lb (maybe a touch low but not horrible)
    Also found a lot of corrosion/build up, something i have never experienced previously but it has done a lot of sitting

My thoughts are the damage must have been caused by corrosion/build up breaking one and no doubt taking the rest with them?
    Reckon this would be causing my issues? does not seem "bad" enough?
    AFRs were good, fuel pressure solid, boost did seem down but got any RPMs up.

Supercharger has about 75hrs on it so i think its time for a rebuild now with these issues but have to see if i can find an x wheel - dont really want to buy a whole new charger.
    to me front case seems salvageable, just need a cleanup - not got any damage other than a bit of corrosion.

Actually in the process of trying to sell the ski so want to fix it as cheaply as possible (but still properly so no problems for the new owner)
    Not worth a whole lot and parts are $$$ now with a terrible exchange rate at the moment.
    ET137+4 is tempting but that would open a whole new can of worms with re-tuning etc (cheaper locally than a new X wheel)

Photos of damage attached

intercooler need a good clean, hopefully that stopped the blades going through the motor...

Also yet to check out my vtech logger - should have a log all going well.

any suggestions welcome!

thanks
    Luke

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    How old is the gasoline in the fuel tank?

+1
    it had minimal fuel 12months old and then filled with 98 (93 equivalent i think)

Guess ill get the charger back in good condition and see what happens.

+1
    Wondering if maybe i might have a leaky intercooler...going to pull it tonight and pressure test (as it needs to come out anyway)

+1
    Well i think this would be the cause of the missing!

Leaky Fizzle HE intercooler

Now i rode in salt (for a whole 10mins!) on the weekend - flushed on fresh at home but hoping no damage from salt water ingress.
    Took the fuel rail/injectors out and gave them a blow out with compressed air and a squirt of wd40.
    Do i need to pull the intake manifold? seems like a big job.

Still no idea what busted the supercharger blades other than maybe corrosion...

Any drop in replacements for the fizzle HE?

Damn money pit

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_man_luke View Post
    Well i think this would be the cause of the missing!

Leaky Fizzle HE intercooler

Now i rode in salt (for a whole 10mins!) on the weekend - flushed on fresh at home but hoping no damage from salt water ingress.
    Took the fuel rail/injectors out and gave them a blow out with compressed air and a squirt of wd40.
    Do i need to pull the intake manifold? seems like a big job.

Still no idea what busted the supercharger blades other than maybe corrosion...

Any drop in replacements for the fizzle HE?

Damn money pit
    drop me a pm

+1
    Finally got the ski back out

Replaced intercooler with Fizzle F1000, Charger rebuilt plus ET137+4 wheel.
    Injectors swapped for 60s (because i had them or i would have gone 1000s or something)
    Flashed on new tune, 42 tune dropped 20% overall. Will fine tune.

Ski is running smoother and runs really well below 6000rpm but still is falling flat randomly above 5k.
    Travelling along nicely at about 6000rpm, feeling great then just falls flat on its face and drops back to around 4k (without letting off)
    Basically what it was doing before the changes but higher RPM and no idle stumble after.

AFRs are a touch rich for now, was around 12.9-13 at 6000, from idle to 6000 currently 12-13s.
    Got 7500 RPM / 10psi accelerating hard before it would fall on its face.

Was going lean when falling on its face but i think that is mostly due to dropping 2000rpm with same throttle percentage.

Plugs look good and are basically brand new.

Going to check logs shortly and see if i can see anything there.

Thoughts are MAP sensor (should be able to confirm in logs) or coils / coil

Pretty stumped so open to any ideas.

Compression still good 135psi each cylinder
    Brand new injectors (and same with previous 42s)

8. +1 by:

+1
    Also fuel pressure is stable and return style so can see it being fuel pressure related

Cant see the cause it the log, map sensor readings all look consistent and nothing crazy

+1
    I would check for boost leaks (intake manifold etc.) and is battery voltage good? It sounds like the ski starts to quit right around the time the supercharger is supposed to come on. Maybe double check to make sure the plugs in the stock intercooler block off are all sealed. You are 100% sure it's not fuel pressure related? Worn out fuel pump or clogged fuel filter sock?

+1
    Did just remove the block off to check the inside of the manifold and RTVed it back in so should be good.

Battery voltage is good, logged at solid 14v and no dips.

Will do some more checks for boost leaks but if there is its real small leak.

I have a fuel pressure gauge in my mirror pod and its rock solid, less than .5psi movement.
    Had the pump out at start of the season (to replace the tank lid as it had been cracked and glued for a long time and replaced that)
    Pump sock was fine, pump is stock though but seeing the pressure isn't dropping id think its ok?

Ski was fine when i put it away 12-18months ago

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information