What PWC to choose please?!?

My dad just recently bought a new boat and we have our little boat ramp thing that we put or dinghy on before but we don't need it anymore because it fits behind our new boat. So now we have the floating dock and we can put a jet ski on it. There are two we are stuck on. The first is a 1994 WAVERUNNER YAMAHA GP and the other is a 2000 Sea Doo Bombardier Jet ski wave runner. Are these any good? I don't know anything about jet skis so some information would help. Thanks!!!

+1
    Steep learning curve ahead! Either could be a money pot that will cost more to get working than it costs to buy! Go hire a ski a few times before buying and learn more about them they are complex, maintenance heavy and very different to cars bikes and boats

what weight will the dock hold and how long is it?

what budget do you have to spend?
    Last edited by HDAV; 11-17-2018 at 10:55 AM.

+1
    Welcome aboard, loydchase!

It's hard to say if they are 'any good' without actually seeing them. Keep in mind that the newest one is 18 years old. Both are going to need work eventually, if not now. If you buy the SeaDoo, watch for gray fuel hoses--they are not resistant to ethanol in today's gasoline and will deteriorate and plug up the carb quickly. As old as they are, it would be a really good idea to replace ALL of the fuel and cooling hoses. You'll probably end up overhauling the carbs and flushing the fuel tank, etc. with either one.

Parts for these things are getting harder to find. Unless you are willing to spend a lot of time repairing/upgrading them, I'd recommend that you buy something newer. Most of these older ones end up costing more to repair than they are worth.

Do not buy either one until you've actually ridden it ON THE WATER. Running on the trailer means NOTHING! There is no load on the engine when it's on the trailer.

Regardless, I wouldn't spend much money on either one. You don't say what model the SeaDoo is, they only had a dozen models that year. In good condition, I might give $1000-1500 for it. In good condition, I might give $500-700 for the Waverunner. Pricing will vary with your location.

4. +1 by:

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by loydchase View Post
    ... I don't know anything about jet skis ...
    There is a LOT to learn before making any sort of purchase decision. Spend some time learning about PWCs, common issues and which make/models are generally good value and reasonably reliable.

Learn about common operating and maintenance costs. You may find yourself doing all your own work on an old 2-stroke watercraft as commercial repair shops may no longer be willing to work on them. They may also limit the age of 4-stroke models they will service.

Also figure out what kinds of riding you might enjoy and what bodies of water are accessible to you. Some people enjoy long touring trips that take most of the day, covering dozens of miles. Others enjoy ripping around doing hard turns, spins, not really going anywhere.

How much money you can afford to spend running the thing? The 2-stroke engines tend to be thirsty, drinking gallons of gasoline per hour is common. How thirsty depends on the engine size and how it is ridden. 2-stroke engines also consume 2-stroke oil, which adds to the overall running cost.

The 4-stroke engines tend to need significantly less fuel per hour, ridden in about the same manner.

The really high fuel consumption modern 4-strokes will have superchargers, which I recommend you avoid as a first time buyer.

Unless you are interested in spending a lot of time (and quite likely money) repairing and maintaining your PWC, I would suggest you do not shop based on ‘cheap initial purchase price’. Old PWC are rarely inexpensive to own and operate.

It is not unusual for an old ‘good running condition’ 2-stroke watercraft to ‘unexpectedly’ require expensive repairs such as a complete engine rebuild, jet pump rebuild, replacement of various important parts, electrical issues, and so on. Plus the time it takes to do the repair work.

My suggestion, look towards the more recent model generations with 4-stroke engine, not supercharged. No more than ten years old models. The early 4-stroke engines had some issues, most of which were sorted out by the late 2000’s.

Here is a short video comparing a classic older Seadoo 2-stroke with a popular current model Seadoo Spark.

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    There is a LOT to learn before making any sort of purchase decision. Spend some time learning about PWCs, common issues and which make/models are generally good value and reasonably reliable.

Learn about common operating and maintenance costs. You may find yourself doing all your own work on an old 2-stroke watercraft as commercial repair shops may no longer be willing to work on them. They may also limit the age of 4-stroke models they will service.

Also figure out what kinds of riding you might enjoy and what bodies of water are accessible to you. Some people enjoy long touring trips that take most of the day, covering dozens of miles. Others enjoy ripping around doing hard turns, spins, not really going anywhere.

How much money you can afford to spend running the thing? The 2-stroke engines tend to be thirsty, drinking gallons of gasoline per hour is common. How thirsty depends on the engine size and how it is ridden. 2-stroke engines also consume 2-stroke oil, which adds to the overall running cost.

The 4-stroke engines tend to need significantly less fuel per hour, ridden in about the same manner.

The really high fuel consumption modern 4-strokes will have superchargers, which I recommend you avoid as a first time buyer.

Unless you are interested in spending a lot of time (and quite likely money) repairing and maintaining your PWC, I would suggest you do not shop based on ‘cheap initial purchase price’. Old PWC are rarely inexpensive to own and operate.

It is not unusual for an old ‘good running condition’ 2-stroke watercraft to ‘unexpectedly’ require expensive repairs such as a complete engine rebuild, jet pump rebuild, replacement of various important parts, electrical issues, and so on. Plus the time it takes to do the repair work.

My suggestion, look towards the more recent model generations with 4-stroke engine, not supercharged. No more than ten years old models. The early 4-stroke engines had some issues, most of which were sorted out by the late 2000’s.

Here is a short video comparing a classic older Seadoo 2-stroke with a popular current model Seadoo Spark.

One of the best posts I have seen all year... and great video, it's good to know there are other reasonable common knowledge thinkers on this forum K447 great post, extremely insightful.

Wish I had seen this post and video previous to making my purchase of a 2 stroke hull a couple years back. I say hull cause thats usually what you buy when you get an used older ski and you don't know what your looking for... your basically buying a hull. I saw it was a hull and complete that's about it, but what I did not see was the fiberglass pitting under the carpets, the aluminum saltwater pitting on all the aluminum jet pump components, the hull steering components with rusted cables and a rusted fuel pump. I basically purchased a complete total loss PWC .

The most important thing I have learned has been patience and how to fully restore a ski from top to bottom... and I'm still not done with it. The worst part is not getting the time back spent researching and wrenching on an older jet ski. Just as in the video the guy says then when the 2 stroke PWC is finally running your constantly checking components to make sure they are intact or functioning properly. The same time your doing that you could be enjoy something with more reliability and efficiency. Constantly knit picking and micromanaging a craft in my opinion isn't what owning a jet ski PWC is about. For some people like a small say ~20% niche that enjoys the hotroding-tinkering-maschoiscm it is. I thought I fit into that category and soon after resented myself for thinking it is as easy as people say it is online or show on videos online, its usually easier said then done when it comes to buying and fixing up older vehicles/PWC unless you have shop with a staff and it's all your company does 24/7. Some food for thought.

In addition, the seadoo in yamaha section might cause some controversy/debate like someone arguing "stock seadoo wear rings are trash etc".... it's all about efficiency and smiles per gallon and I don't mean the car guy version of gas guzzler I mean getting on the watercraft and enjoy the PWC 95% of the time which is more attainable with the newer offerings.

Even financing a spark or getting two of them at a discount would be a good option because its essentially the honda civic of PWC in a way... there is a huge aftermarket for them and people have made plug n play turbo kits and standalone tunes for them. They are half of what the other skis weight are and can be slide drifted hoped and wheelie on the water it's a great bargain and it has grown on me in the looks department.

7. +1 by:

Thread Information