Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Having trouble adding antifreeze in waverunner

Hi guys,

I am trying to winterize a friends non-running Yamaha Waverunner. I am trying to add antifreeze via the garden hose flush adapter, (I am using a siphon), but there is resistance and the antifreeze is not able to push through the engine- any ideas on what I should to? Thanks!!

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    What year and model is the Waverunner?

Why do you think the engine needs anti-freeze?

3. +1 by:

I'm not sure off hand what year it is, but I can find out. I wanted to add antifreeze as a precaution since the ski was running over the summer & now it is not running- I would feel better if I could pump some antifreeze through it. It has fuel injection and the garden hose flush adapter with the 'Y' hose at the bottom if that makes any sense. Thanks.

+1
    Year and model?
    No Yamaha's have closed cooling system that I know of with a need for antifreeze, if you run water into it without motor running you can easily fill the motor with water.

+1
    I know that there have been a couple of cases of the old 2-stroke Yamahas freezing and cracking blocks on the Yamaha jet boat website. Not supposed to happen, but I've seen pictures of the blocks bulged away from the cylinders and cracked.

This is what I use:

You can get the jug adaptor at Wal-Mart. I bought the 1/2" slip x male garden hose adaptor on Ebay. Add your own hose and clamps.

Antifreeze won't just flow into the engines, you have to squeeze the bottle.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Antifreeze Adaptor.jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	88.2 KB 
ID:	442026  

Make sure there isn't a link in the flush hose itself causing a restriction. If seen several ski flush hose with too sharp of a bend causing the hose to be pinched

+1
    When a 2 stroke Yamaha is put away for the winter you are supposed to start it out of the water and goose it a couple of times to push the water out of the waterbox and sound suppression system. If it cannot run after being used sometime during the year, the water that is sitting in the waterbox, and more especially water in the plastic sound suppression can freeze and break the plastic. I have seen this a couple of times. I never put antifreeze in mine but they got run out of the water to purge the excess water. The same applies to most of the 4 strokes, except modded ones with dedicated cooling for the I/C which may require extra precautions.

I would be careful trying to flush a non-running ski as you can push water/antifreeze back into the engine. Best bet would be to tilt front of ski up, make sure cooling lines are not kinked, and see if you can get water to come out of the cooling lines and drain. You also could possibly remove plastic sound suppression box to clear water out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    What year and model is the Waverunner?

Why do you think the engine needs anti-freeze?

+1
    Sounds like a 2 stroke. There is a spring loaded check valve in the top of that flush fitting. You need the special adapter, hooking something up straight to the fitting mounted on the hull will do nothing. Take a pic of the top of the engine and I'll tell you where to put in your antifreeze.

+1
    Based on the OP's original comment, I thought he was using a garden hose flush adaptor. Yamaha makes two types: one has a piece of hose that screws onto a garden hose, one is just a plastic piece that screws directly onto a garden hose. The part number for the plastic piece is 67X-E2590-00-00, cost is under $3. Don't have a part number for the hose-style, but here's a picture:

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Flush Hose Adaptor.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	74.4 KB 
ID:	442057  

Hi. You are right to be flushing it with anti freeze, if you suspect there might be water in there at all. As mentioned, most give the throttle a blast after use and out the water to get rid of most of it. Usually this will do, but nothing wrong with flushing with anti freeze. If I was leaving the ski outside over winter I’d do the same. Your problem is that the ski isn’t running. If you pour antifreeze in the flushing line without it running, it will likely fill the exhaust and cylinders with it. Not good. If you suspect there is still water in there, you will need to get quite technical on your methods and remove and expose the actual engine and head cooling fittings, then pump it through there whilst avoiding ingress in through the exhaust.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information