Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Mods/gear/advice on getting into Jet Ski racing

Thanks in advance for any knowledge given!

I have two skis 2013 Yamaha FX Cruiser SHO, and a 2018 GP1800 bone stock (ATM)

I am located in Southern Indiana

I have been a water-sport enthusiast for some time, and I have decided to get into Jet ski racing. I have done some re search, and would love some advice on Best bang for the buck with Mods, Gear, and anything else. I'm a little confused when they say "stock" as I have been watching videos and see the Pro/Am riders reach speeds of excess of 70MPH. What circuit have any of you guys raced in?

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Each racing organization and race series will have specific rules and requirements for each 'class' of watercraft and rider.

'Stock' is just a label applied to specific sets of restrictions, allowances and rules. Stock can mean different things in different race organizations.

Different levels of modifcations fit into different classes.

Think about what classes of racing in your region actually have an active group of particpants. Some race classes have very few people actually running in that class.

IJSBA Runabout Open (I think that is the correct name) might be a good example of that - big, fast, highly modified, and expensive machines to build and keep running. Relatively few racers running at that level in regional events. Some Region 8 races (as an example) I have watched a total of three modifieed boats on the line, and they just ran around the course fairly spread out, usually with the fastest boat in front.

Other classes on the same race day were full of skis and riders, sometimes more than two dozen on the line.

It is not unusual for racers to have a big ski for recreational riding and something smaller, lighter in a popular class that they actually race with. Less expensive to run, maintain and fix. And keeping the speeds in check with smaller engines in smaller hulls reduces risk of injury while racing.

The Seadoo Spark class of racing has been growing in popularity, and now Yamaha has a class competive hull in the EX and new EXR models.

+1
    We offer a RIVA GP1800 IJSBA Stock Class Race Kit for your 2018 ski. You can view it in the forum's store below. Don't forget to use coupon code: greenhulk for 10% off this kit.

RIVA GP1800 IJSBA Stock Class Race Kit 2018

NOTICE- This kit is not designed for recreational use. IJSBA Stock Class rules limit the modification of the craft’s cooling system beyond what is...
    RY-RPM-GP18-STK-18 $3,291.35

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Each racing organization and race series will have specific rules and requirements for each 'class' of watercraft and rider.

'Stock' is just a label applied to specific sets of restrictions, allowances and rules. Stock can mean different things in different race organizations.

Different levels of modifcations fit into different classes.

Think about what classes of racing in your region actually have an active group of particpants. Some race classes have very few people actually running in that class.

IJSBA Runabout Open (I think that is the correct name) might be a good example of that - big, fast, highly modified, and expensive machines to build and keep running. Relatively few racers running at that level in regional events. Some Region 8 races (as an example) I have watched a total of three modifieed boats on the line, and they just ran around the course fairly spread out, usually with the fastest boat in front.

Other classes on the same race day were full of skis and riders, sometimes more than two dozen on the line.

It is not unusual for racers to have a big ski for recreational riding and something smaller, lighter in a popular class that they actually race with. Less expensive to run, maintain and fix. And keeping the speeds in check with smaller engines in smaller hulls reduces risk of injury while racing.

The Seadoo Spark class of racing has been growing in popularity, and now Yamaha has a class competive hull in the EX and new EXR models.
    Thanks for the response. In my area we have P1 AquaX USA, they offer a pro/am circuit based out of Chicago. I've watched videos and on the videos they are running GP1800, Sea doo rx300, and other machines. Their class is called Enduro, it says Craft must remain stock except for minor handling modifications. I've seen them reach speeds over 70MPH so i'm guessing they do the Mods what Green Hulk below has attached.

I would be highly interested in the Sea doo Spark Class, or EX Class. I believe I would have to travel down to Florida to compete in those classes. I wouldn't mind not banging up my GP1800 lol!

Quote Originally Posted by Green Hulk View Post
    We offer a RIVA GP1800 IJSBA Stock Class Race Kit for your 2018 ski. You can view it in the forum's store below. Don't forget to use coupon code: greenhulk for 10% off this kit.

RIVA GP1800 IJSBA Stock Class Race Kit 2018

NOTICE- This kit is not designed for recreational use. IJSBA Stock Class rules limit the modification of the craft’s cooling system beyond what is...
    RY-RPM-GP18-STK-18 $3,291.35

Thank you for the information!!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Motor&Muscle View Post
    Thanks for the response. In my area we have P1 AquaX USA, they offer a pro/am circuit based out of Chicago. I've watched videos and on the videos they are running GP1800, Sea doo rx300, and other machines. Their class is called Enduro, it says Craft must remain stock except for minor handling modifications.

I've seen them reach speeds over 70MPH so i'm guessing they do the Mods what Green Hulk below has attached.

I would be highly interested in the Sea doo Spark Class, or EX Class. I believe I would have to travel down to Florida to compete in those classes. I wouldn't mind not banging up my GP1800 lol!
    IJSBA is different from AquaX. Different organizations, probably (a bunch of) rule differences, even for the 'same' machines.

The Riva Kit shown for GP1800 is specifcally to match IJSBA rules. Does it match AquaX rules - you would need to check.

I know IJSBA Region 8 in the east runs Spark class races. I do not know what IJSBA has going on in your area.

An absolutely box stock completely unmodified GP1800 runs near 70mph. Almost any mods that allow the factory speed limiter to be bypassed would allow speeds over 70.

My own (well loaded with stowed gear) GP1800 with MaptunerX Stage 1 Plus Low Octane tune runs 75mph, and my machine is configured for rough water handling, not top speed. The 93 Octane tune brings my speed closer to 80, IIRC.

IJSBA is different from AquaX. Different organizations, probably (a bunch of) rule differences, even for the 'same' machines.

The Riva Kit shown for GP1800 is specifcally to match IJSBA rules. Does it match AquaX rules - you would need to check.

I know IJSBA Region 8 in the east runs Spark class races. I do not know what IJSBA has going on in your area.

An absolutely box stock completely unmodified GP1800 runs near 70mph. Almost any mods that allow the factory speed limiter to be bypassed would allow speeds over 70.

My own (well loaded with stowed gear) GP1800 with MaptunerX Stage 1 Plus Low Octane tune runs 75mph, and my machine is configured for rough water handling, not top speed. The 93 Octane tune brings my speed closer to 80, IIRC.
    Okay, that’s some helpful information! Thanks for opening my eyes to the Spark / EX class. Definitely worth the savings

My own (well loaded with stowed gear) GP1800 with MaptunerX Stage 1 Plus Low Octane tune runs 75mph, and my machine is configured for rough water handling, not top speed.
    K447, can you please elaborate what is Low Octane tune, where to get it (I have not seen it available yet) and what modifications on GP1800 are helping with rough water handling? Thank you!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by maraca View Post
    K447, can you please elaborate what is Low Octane tune, where to get it (I have not seen it available yet) and what modifications on GP1800 are helping with rough water handling? Thank you!
    You buy the MaptunerX device, a box that plugs into your PC to access the tune library, then plugs into your ECU on the GP1800 to insert the tune.

On your PC you will access the MaptunerX tune library that is available for your SVHO engine. Many tunes are listed, even the factory stock tune. You select one or several tunes of interest, then down,pad them into the MaptunerX device via USB.

Among the several Stage 1 tunes should be one labeled (something like) Stage 1 Plus Low Octane. In this context ‘Low Octane’ means the tune requires 91 octane minimum.
    The ‘regular’ Stage 1 Plus tune wants 93 octane or higher.

Last time I looked Riva was rather inconsistent regarding what each ‘stage’ really means, and often doesn’t specify exactly which gasoline octane grade is required to safely use the tune. The description for each tune on the Riva web site can differ from the tune description when downloading it to your PC.

And once loaded into the MapTuner, and then connected to your ECU, the tune itself may have some details listed. Look at all these before actually inserting the tune into your ECU.

Adding to the potential confusion, the Stage, Plus and 1 terms are used slightly differently for the SVHO tunes for FX models compared to GP1800 SVHO.

If you do not have 93 octane gasoline, for example, in the fuel tank then you should NOT use any tune that requires 93 octane. Seems straightforward, yet there are a bunch of MaptunerX tunes listed which do not mention precisely which octane fuel they are expecting.

Another aspect is what maximum RPM level the tune will allow the engine to spin up to. The factory tune holds maximum RPM well under 8000. There has been a lot of discussion about voiding warranty by running a tune that allows the engine to rev beyond 8000. Some of use limit ourselves to 8000 max tunes, others are comfortable revving the engine beyond 8000.

The stock SVHO engine is ‘safe’ with RPM up to somewhere around 8300-8600. I wouldn’t run at 8600 without first upgrading the valvetrain, but 8300 seems ‘safe enough’ on a mechanically stock engine. You will find at least one MaptunerX tune with 8300 limiter, and probably a couple more with limits at 8500 or 8600.

Again, do not install a tune with an RPM limit higher than you want the engine to actually spin.

Once you know what octane tune and what RPM limit you have, select from the few available tunes that match.

It is OK to load multiple tunes into the MaptunerX device. When later connected to the ski you can scroll through the list, select the exact tune to install, and let it proceed. Process takes only a few minutes.

+1
    Forgot to mention, you will also purchase a MaptunerX licence for your ECU. Normally the device and the licence are packaged together for a slightly discounted price.

The first time you link the licence to the ECU, it becomes ‘married’ to the serial number and the licence cannot be used on another ski.

However, the MaptunerX box itself can be loaded with multiple licenses, and multiple tunes, and used with multiple skis. You just need to buy a license for each additional ski.

You can buy/add tune licenses for friend’s watercraft. IIRC the same box can even be used with different brand watercraft, just buy the required ECU cable.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information