Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2013 RXPX with Stage 3

My buddy just bought a 2013 RXPX 260 with a Stage 3. It had a blown timing chain. He replaced and put back together. Compression is good. He is running about 60mph and it seems the thing is bouncing off the rev limiter of 7,000? He did also have too much oil in it (about 1 inch over the mark). I'm not familiar with Seadoos. Any advice on what to check would be appreciated.

+1
    Rev limiter should be more like 8400 May be something else keeping him from getting his rpms higher, impeller, bad gas, wear ring, misaligned drive shaft, stuff like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Drewski1126 View Post
    Rev limiter should be more like 8400 May be something else keeping him from getting his rpms higher, impeller, bad gas, wear ring, misaligned drive shaft, stuff like that.
    Too much oil would do that, correct?

He put in fresh gas: 93 octane
    Impeller is a new Solas Prop, I will find out the pitch
    Wear ring looks good too.

I will look into the misalignment of the driveshaft.

Ski has 15 hours on it.

+1
    Yeah oil level could have that effect. Could be something simple as a leak on the outlet side of the supercharger going to the throttle body. Make sure you getting full range on your throttle body butterfly as well.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by need4pwr View Post
    the thing is bouncing off the rev limiter of 7,000
    this stands out to me... for one, the rev limiter on a stage 3 is not 7000, it's 8850.

So, if he's getting a "pop pop pop'ing" sound when the ski reaches 7000 this sounds like an intercooler leak to me. Water entering the combustion chamber causes a misfire..... popping sound and he may just be thinking he's hitting the limiter.

The intercoolers are very prone to leaking over time, especially if you don't run a water strainer in the water line feeding the intercooler.

if his intercooler is leaking, then i highly recommend replacing with the Fizzle intercooler

Fizzle F1000 OEM Intercooler Upgrade Kit

Increase performance and reliability with the Fizzle F1000 Intercooler OEM Replacement Kit. This intercooler kit features the high performance Fizzle...
    Fizz SD Kit $599.00

Quote Originally Posted by Green Hulk View Post
    this stands out to me... for one, the rev limiter on a stage 3 is not 7000, it's 8850.

So, if he's getting a "pop pop pop'ing" sound when the ski reaches 7000 this sounds like an intercooler leak to me. Water entering the combustion chamber causes a misfire..... popping sound and he may just be thinking he's hitting the limiter.

The intercoolers are very prone to leaking over time, especially if you don't run a water strainer in the water line feeding the intercooler.

if his intercooler is leaking, then i highly recommend replacing with the Fizzle intercooler

Fizzle F1000 OEM Intercooler Upgrade Kit

Increase performance and reliability with the Fizzle F1000 Intercooler OEM Replacement Kit. This intercooler kit features the high performance Fizzle...
    Fizz SD Kit $599.00

Thank you Gerry, it does sound like a pop. How do you check?

+1
    Take the outlet hose off the intercooler, crank the engine with the water hose on it and if it sprays water out as you blip the throttle it’s got a leak.

If it’s nasty with oil from the supercharger seal leaking (unlikely from only 15 hours) I’d clean it out with degreaser and dry it before doing this test.

Quote Originally Posted by Drewski1126 View Post
    Take the outlet hose off the intercooler, crank the engine with the water hose on it and if it sprays water out as you blip the throttle it’s got a leak.

If it’s nasty with oil from the supercharger seal leaking (unlikely from only 15 hours) I’d clean it out with degreaser and dry it before doing this test.
    Thanks guys. He mentioned he did that test and no water came out, which leads me to believe the intercooler is good.

So the high oil level wouldn't do that?

I'm leaning towards engine misalignment. He pulled the rear boot and mentioned that the carbon seal looks a little damaged. He also has a few drops of oil in the hull.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by need4pwr View Post
    Thanks guys. He mentioned he did that test and no water came out, which leads me to believe the intercooler is good.

So the high oil level wouldn't do that?

I'm leaning towards engine misalignment. He pulled the rear boot and mentioned that the carbon seal looks a little damaged. He also has a few drops of oil in the hull.
    No, over filled oil, or an engine misalignment will not cause a pop and sputter at 7000 RPM's.
    Has he tried installing a new set of spark plugs?

Quote Originally Posted by Green Hulk View Post
    No, over filled oil, or an engine misalignment will not cause a pop and sputter at 7000 RPM's.
    Has he tried installing a new set of spark plugs?
    Yes he has. Maybe the supercharger or clutch?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information