Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

+1

Ultra 150 Lots of vibration and loud exhaust?

Evening all,

I'm hoping somebody could help, I've searched the internet and a few people seem to have had this problem but i can't seem to work it out or find a solution so any ideas would be a massive help.

My 2002 Ultra 150 has been knocking and vibrating harshly at idle for a while, getting steadily worse until now where I've decided it would be stupid to ride it until it's sorted. Its a knocking, with a hint of bearing noise that goes away when the throttle is opened. Just above idle it is really noisy, as though the waterbox is split or gutted etc then goes back to normal at 4k rpm ish, It runs like a rocket otherwise, no loss of power. Its almost as if it only runs on two cylinders at idle and then comes onto all three as it's opened up. compression was between 115 and 118 on all 3 cylinders depending on the gauge used.

I found the front mount was loose but tightened it down and it made no difference, i think the loose mount was a symptom and not the cause. I've ordered 3 new mounts.

I've got the engine out at the minute for a preventetive top end rebuild (it has 167 hours). The impeller was recently re pitched and the pump bearings checked, no difference. There is nothing stuck in the reed cages etc. I'll be rebuilding the carbs also but they were recently cleaned and re assembled, made no difference.

Could the balancer bearings have gone and somehow caused the balancer's to slip a tooth?? I was hoping to find out how likely that was before I split the cases. It feels like i'm scraping the barrel a bit.

Thank you,

Ben.

Let me out of here......I need to go on Greenhulk!
    +1
    Tough to diagnose noises without hearing them. I would have said post a video but too late now I guess. People have had issues with plug wires causing a mis and trimmed the insulation back with success. You have the motor out so you can pull the cylinders and check the crank and balancers for peace of mind

+1
    Thanks for the reply, Yes I'm kicking myself a bit for not recording it before I pulled the motor. I got a bit keen to tear into it. I'm not sure a camera phone video would have picked much up though.

I'm planning to trim back the plug wires and replace the plugs but again, the plugs are probably only 10 hours old. Is there anyway of checking the balancers and their bearings without splitting the cases? and is there anyway the gears could slip or go out of balance that I'm missing?

The odd thing is how loud it is just off idle, then goes back to normal. Almost as if it has an aftermarket waterbox.

I found an old post where someone had the exact same issue, it turned out to be a piece of tie wrap stuck in the reed cage, but mine are all good.

I suppose I'm just fishing for ideas. I'll keep on checking things as best I can.

Cheers.

+1
    Probably worth mentioning I've already pulled the cylinders, Nothing drastic, and the big ends feel good, no up and down play at all on the rods.

+1
    Might also check the driveshaft bearing and drive shaft for wear.

+1
    Rodsatheart, thanks for the reply, The driveshaft bearing is fairly new as I had the issue with it leaking water into the hull a few hours ago and it still looks tip top but I haven't checked the actual shaft yet, I'll add it to the list. Cheers.

+1
    ouch , what a headache... keep us informed of your progress. Good luck.

+1
    Thanks I will do. May be a little while before I get it running it again as I've found the nikasil to be low on cylinder two so going to get all 3 sorted before putting new pistons in. I'll let you know when I find out more.

+1
    Well the plot thickens with the ultra motor. I’ve got something rattling somewhere, sounds like it’s in the cases under cylinder 1. It sounds like a couple of ball bearings rattling up and down when the crank is rotated by hand. I’ve pulled the cylinders and it isn’t stones in the water jacket, The big ends look good and can’t see the roller bearings moving when looking through the reed openings, the balancer teeth and (external) bearings are all good. I know I’m going to have to split the cases and keep going until I find it but can anyone give me any ideas as to what they think it could be?? I’ve taken a video and I’ll try to upload it. Thanks all!

Counter balance maybe?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information