Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

+1

2008 RXPX 255 Running rough. Running out of ideas

Hi Guys,

So summer in Australia is fast approaching!. Suns out, and the sound of people getting their skis ready is in the air!.

Last week I bought a second ski for shits and giggles. It wasn't running when I bought it, but I got it super cheap. I'm a pretty keen home "diy-er", and have built many motors / cars/ boats in the past. This is only the second 4-Tec I have built.

The ski im talking about is a 2008 Silver / grey RXPX 255.

So ive got the ski running, but its running really rough, with loads of blue / black fuel smoke.

I've hooked up my buds and........and am getting no faults. I've run through all of the tests, and confirmed all is working.

I'm getting spark (confirmed visually)
    I'm getting fuel (confirmed visually)
    Compression on each cylinder is a pretty consistent 120-125 PSI.
    The ski has ~140 hours on it.

Ive had the head off, and replaced the head gasket (through choice as I wanted to ensure the cylinders were clear before I cranked / started it). I have checked and double checked that the timing is correct.

1) Rotated engine and inserted locking tool in the block.
    2) ensured that camshaft was also lined up correctly and inserted locking tool.
    3) Set position of timing gear so that two lines align as best I could with the top of the head (even on the last 4-tec I built, it didn't line up "perfectly". I set it to the best effort position while ensuring the cam gear bolts did not bind on the cam gear when being done up).

When the ski is running, it throws no errors, but idles rough. It does rev, but is sluggish. There is no backfiring ive noted.

I did notice one thing in buds that im unsure about. For those that are (or not) familiar with buds, On the "Activations" screen, there is a picture of the motor. Embedded within this picture are each of the sensors within the engine. If you mouse over these sensors, you can see the sensor reading at that point. Refer below pic.

If I hold my mouse over the Throttle Position sensor, I can see the reading "0.10 Degrees". However if I pull the throttle trigger on the ski, the butterfly opens and closes fine, but the sensor reading doesn't change at all. My question is. should this reading change "dynamically" as I pull and release the trigger? If so, then it may seem as though my TPS might be fubar, which could be causing my issue.

Looking forward to any thoughts or feedback. I am fully open to other suggestions as well. It may not be the TPS that's causing the issue, and id love to hear some other suggestions.

Cheers

Dave
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tps.png 
Views:	39 
Size:	150.4 KB 
ID:	441831   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tps.png 
Views:	156 
Size:	259.0 KB 
ID:	441832  

Go to setting page and reset TPS. After resetting watch throttle movement on the setting page when you open and close throttle. Ski does not have to be running, just powered up and BUDDS hooked up. Should always return to 0 and open between 82-84.

Make sure you have a slight bit of slack in throttle cable when closed.

+1
    Hey Ross,

Thanks for the reply mate. I have done a TPS reset which went Ok with no errors noted.

So is that to say with the ski powered up (not running) and BUDS hooked up, when I open and close the throttle I SHOULD see the TPS value changing in BUDS?.

At the moment im not seeing it change at all which makes me think TPS is knackered, but need to make sure im reading BUDS correctly before I buy a new one.

And YEP - I do have a light bit of play in throttle cable. I can see it landing back at the stopper screw each time.

Dave

+1
    Under monitoring, whats the temp showing for IAT?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    Under monitoring, whats the temp showing for IAT?
    Showing 24c which is the current temp. Ski hasn’t been started for 4 hours.

Intake kpa currently 100. Intercooler pipes are not hooked up at the moment.

plugs?

+1
    Plugs are all sparking properly (visually confirmed).

Have also swapped plugs out from a working ski with no difference.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by VaRedneck View Post
    plugs?
    Plugs are all sparking properly (visually confirmed).

Have also swapped plugs out from a working ski with no difference.

Yes you should see the numbers changing on the setting page with throttle/ butterfly movement and the ECM monitoring page the dial gauge will move with throttle/ butterfly movement. Both pages the numbers will go from 0-82/84 if the TPS is working. If no change in numbers/ percentages with throttle input and the butterfly is opening you need to check the TPS sensor. If that sensor is bad the ski will run like crap.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information