Genesis Cooling Options

Took off the water rail today as the gaskets were leaking so thought I'd check out the cooling system whilst replacing them and encountered my next problem!!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20181110_110348.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	85.9 KB 
ID:	441822
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20181110_112227.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	34.4 KB 
ID:	441823

So, decided to order new thermostat etc but can't find the gasket that fits around the thermostat? Does anyone know of any company's that can supply them?

There was a lot of crud in there, and the casing seems quite corroded (but hoping it'll be ok with a sand blasting) The pop off and thermostat were seized so don't think it would have been cooling very well either!

Can I run it without a stat if I can't find a gasket? Also, can I flush it without it running and without a stat/pop off fitted to try an get anymore crud out the engine??

+1
    I'd remove the thermostat and pop off. And if memory serves its an o ring that seals all that. This is for a 1200? I may have a few extra rails

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Drkvampire2001 View Post
    I'd remove the thermostat and pop off. And if memory serves its an o ring that seals all that. This is for a 1200? I may have a few extra rails
    The factory ‘o-ring’ for the term-stat housing has a figure-8 shape. These have become hard to find new, but I may have some NOS ones available.

I also posted (somewhere on here) how to make one by heating a standard o-ring and reshaping it.

The actual thermostat has a rubber collar that holds the thermostat in place inside the housing. This is probably findable, if you look/ask around. Might even come with a thermostat, if not the entire water manifold bar.

Disconnect or pinch off the small diameter water hose that feeds the exhaust pipe water injection, then you can ‘flush’ the engine water jackets without accidentally flooding the exhaust system. Make sure you identify the correct hose.

If you you want to ‘reverse flush’ the engine water jackets the main water exit hose from the thermostat housing must be clamped off, to force the water to flow back through the engine. Even then, the effectiveness of the reverse flushing can be limited, in terms of actually getting crap moved out of the engine jackets.

You can ‘forward flush’ by connnecting a garden hose to the main water feed hose. That is the 3/4” hose found way down low on right side of jet pump. Disconnect the hose from jet pump, and connect a 3/4” garden hose barb adapter.

Good used replacement water manifold bars should be available inexpensively. Match up the part number with original as there are a few different versions, which vary in size of the water feed holes and the thermostat housing details.

If this is a carb red engine then you ‘can’ run without a thermostat. The Ficht engines want the thermostat and bypass valve to control engine temperature, mostly to avoid over-cooling at low and medium RPM. The carb engines don’t mind having the temperature control.

How would I know which one to disconnect and clamp? Is it the one on top with the strainer/filter?
    Thanks for your help!

Quote Originally Posted by Drkvampire2001 View Post
    I think the rail would be ok if I run without a thermostat or pop off? Would the motor still run ok without them or would it be over cooled sorta thing? I've managed to get a NOS o ring now off ebay thanks!

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Kev View Post
    How would I know which one to disconnect and clamp? Is it the one on top with the strainer/filter?
    Correct

Thread Information