Question Broken Virage 700 Oil Cable Repair

As title says, was getting ready to rebuild my carb when I realized the end on the pump side was broken and I was able to pull it completely through the shroud. It is part number 7081022. Searching online the cheapest replacement I can currently find is $60+S&H.

Luckily I have a second ski that I could inspect and can see that it's a simple plug on the end of the cable to hold it in the barrel. As frugal as I am, couldn't I just drop a bead of silver solder to replace the missing end stop? Has anybody else had success repairing this cable? I'm cheap

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome

Where are you located? Someone may have a spare/used oil pump cable that would fit.

The problem with soldering would be that these wire cables tend to get oily and the metal surface oxidizes over time. It might be difficult to get the solder to stick and also create a usable shape.
    Last edited by K447; 11-07-2018 at 10:50 PM.

I'm located in CT. If somebody happens to have a spare I'd certainly buy it off them, wasn't sure where it was appropriate to post.

With regards to soldering, I figured the same thing. Luckily, I have access to a bridgeport so if I were to go that route I'd probably make a birdcage mold so that I'd get good solder penetration. If can't find a suitable replacement I'll take a crack at it. I already have the cable so it's worth a shot, figure can't make it much worse.

+1
    Look up the Polaris part number for the oil pump,cable. I suspect the same cable was used on many years and models.

Once you have the part number you can start hunting for a good used part.

You can find the Polaris Industries parts cross reference web site via my signature link. Click here.

It looks like it's the same cable for 2001-2004 Virage and Freedoms, PN 7081022.

I found it in Polaris' part catalog and was able to add to cart, but there's no option to check out. Do I just call Polaris and provide my cart reference #?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Scalise View Post
    It looks like it's the same cable for 2001-2004 Virage and Freedoms, PN 7081022.

I found it in Polaris' part catalog and was able to add to cart, but there's no option to check out. Do I just call Polaris and provide my cart reference #?

Polaris themselves do not sell parts online.

Use an OEM online parts seller such as PartsPitStop.com or Babbitts.

Take the correct part number from the Polaris Industries online parts diagrams, then go shopping for that part number at whichever online OEM parts store you prefer.

Thread Information