Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Need help with a 04 Polaris MSX110

Just got the ski. It start and runs but sounds like something is messing with the timing or ignition. It sounds like its surging some idles up down like it has a cam in it. I did notice the red light in the display is flashing and the CEL is on in the display. does not want to have any throttle response. Any pointers on where to start or check? This is a new animal to me.
    Last edited by Pro8secondlx; 11-07-2018 at 06:29 PM.

+1
    You either need to take it out on the water to see what kind of RPMs you're seeing (which can infer the possible reason for the CEL), or invest in getting the ability to read codes.

The guy I got it from said it idled like crap. He kept putting it in the water and never could get it straight. From what I have read there is not much hope for getting something to read codes. He said it would accelerate

Quote Originally Posted by ripcuda View Post
    Welcome to GH!

Search for 'ETB Relearn'... and follow the steps. While doing this, have the hard pipe from the intercooler to the throttle body(ETB) removed... so you can watch the actual throttle plate in the ETB move. While you squeeze/release the finger throttle... is the ETB plate moving in sync smoothly to full open and to full closed? (could be having ETB... or more commonly PPU issues)

Another possibility... pull off the single-wire connector to the exhaust manifold temperature switch (rear end of exhaust manifold)... then see if you are still RPM limited. This switch tells the ECU the exhaust mani is too hot and it goes into a limp mode... but doesn't throw an indication on the display. Worth a try.

You should also consider doing a compression test... just to know the health of your engine.

Are you still running an OEM SIFB module? (connected to wire harness above battery)

Cheers!
    What is the SIFB module? I see one on a ski I am have problems with. Very simular to the guy in this post

Might Be best to sell it for parts. I pulled the plugs. They look like its rich. No polaris places here in Va that will work on them or have a diagnostic tool

+1
    Could be an O2 sensor if the plugs are black and sooty.

Diagnostics is readily available here: https://candoopro.com/index.php?main...ef65a7c77f4883

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Pro8secondlx View Post
    What is the SIFB module? I see one on a ski I am have problems with. Very simular to the guy in this post
    A bad SIFB will not cause a CEL. It is part of the start/stop logic.

Thanks for the info HiPeRcO. I think I have a O2 sensor ill try tomorrow. Could the cam sensor cause it? I checked the throttle body. I put the lanyard in and bumped the start button and the ETB was working great.
    It looks like the plugs are rich to me. I'm going to run a compression test tomorrow. Starts as soon as you hit the start button. Just idles stupid.

+1
    Hunting idle can be O2 sensor or air leak after throttle body. Note that revving high out of the water is common, be sure to leave it in reverse to limit to 3400rpm.

Does not rev high at idle.Going to swap the 02 sensor also. I will do some more digging tonight.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information