Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Polaris Oil Pumps, Good or Bad?

Having read several posts on the subject, I'm not convinced one way or the other. I've read that installing an oil block off and premixing is the only way to go. Then in the next thread that Polaris oil pumps are bullet proof and you only need to periodically replace the hoses.

I'm on the fence here and need opinions.

1999 SLTX 1050

+1
    There isn't a 100% right or wrong answer. The oil pump is reliable, the hoses are the concern. I have deleted oil injection on my 1997-1998-1999 SLTXs and X-45 not because of the pump or hoses but because the way the oil tank sits on the fuel tank, the retaining strap will crack the fuel tank. The only problem I have ever had with the oil pump is the gasket on the small, square, chrome cover started to leak. Oil injection is proven tech, no reason to arbitrarily remove it, its not a performance concern.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogus View Post
    Having read several posts on the subject, I'm not convinced one way or the other. I've read that installing an oil block off and premixing is the only way to go. Then in the next thread that Polaris oil pumps are bullet proof and you only need to periodically replace the hoses.

I'm on the fence here and need opinions.

1999 SLTX 1050

"because the way the oil tank sits on the fuel tank, the retaining strap will crack the fuel tank."
    That is interesting. This is ski is supposed to have a leak in the fuel tank. It came with a replacement tank.

I think I'll go ahead and install the block off plate.
    What gas/oil ratio do you use?

+1
    Check for cracks around the brass inserts that the oil tank retaining strap screws to. Both my 98 and 99 SLTX cracked right there. If the strap is still in place, it might even hide the crack. I use 36:1, might be a little rich, but motor rebuilds are expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogus View Post
    "because the way the oil tank sits on the fuel tank, the retaining strap will crack the fuel tank."
    That is interesting. This is ski is supposed to have a leak in the fuel tank. It came with a replacement tank.

I think I'll go ahead and install the block off plate.
    What gas/oil ratio do you use?

Thank you!

+1
    I premix at 40:1 on all my skis.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    I've also seen the aluminum strap that retains the oil tank onto the fuel tank chafe the oil tank to the point it might start to leak.

I did have 1 oil pump fail on me. However, it was because the flywheel nut/oil pump drive gear loosened up. It then bound up the oil pump drive shaft causing it to fail.

So, we went to premix on that SLTX and still have the oil pump on the other.

I personally prefer premix. And we run 40:1 with good oil. (40:1 is really easy to make. Use 1/2 QT of oil in a 5 gal can)

+1
    You guys must like buying a lot more oil than you need

+1
    Everyone has mentioned a perfectly valid reason for running premix and it has nothing to do with liking buying oil, smiley face or not. There is so much discussion about this issue, please try to add value, not snarky comments.

Quote Originally Posted by HiPeRcO View Post
    You guys must like buying a lot more oil than you need

+1
    The OP is new here. The original question was whether Polaris pumps are reliable or not. They are. So premix in MOST cases is completely unnecessary. Read this for an excellent discussion on the topic: http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthre...=1#post2977318

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information