Help with 2017 SXR 1500 grips

My grips have come loose for a second time in a year. Wondering if I can cut off the ends of the handle bars and use the clamp on style grips. The ski gets ridden around three times a week, year round. Thanks for any input...

Quote Originally Posted by oldmanski View Post
    My grips have come loose for a second time in a year. Wondering if I can cut off the ends of the handle bars and use the clamp on style grips. The ski gets ridden around three times a week, year round. Thanks for any input...
    I did that mod myself and it worked OK, but the grips were jammed against the handlebar mounted switch and throttle controls. I ended up buying some longer aluminum ATV handlebars so I could use some longer ODI 130mm clamp on grips (not the 120's) and leave room between the grips and controls. Worked nicely for me and the 130's seemed more comfortable for my hands.

+1
    Have you see the palm-rest grips that SeaDoo has now? I bought pair to try, but haven't had time to mess with them yet. They may be too small, I havegrn't measured the grips or the bars yet.

Thanks for reply Pops,
    I'm leaning towards just trying 120's, I'm guesssing 120 is stock? Seems like there are a lot of mods out there, but I'm pretty happy with the way the thing is now...except for loose grips. I'm not racing or doing anything really aggressive, and I'm 58 yrs old. But, I do turn A LOT, carving and exercise is my thing, and I'm pretty big at 6' 2", 230 lbs. You say you made this mod on a SXR 1500? What kind of sking are you doing?

Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by oldmanski View Post
    Thanks for reply Pops,
    I'm leaning towards just trying 120's, I'm guesssing 120 is stock? Seems like there are a lot of mods out there, but I'm pretty happy with the way the thing is now...except for loose grips. I'm not racing or doing anything really aggressive, and I'm 58 yrs old. But, I do turn A LOT, carving and exercise is my thing, and I'm pretty big at 6' 2", 230 lbs. You say you made this mod on a SXR 1500? What kind of sking are you doing?

Thanks again!
    Good morning Oldmanski,

I did the mod on a '07 STX 12f. Like you, I'm pretty tall at 6'5", so the extra width of the bars was very comfortable for me and 130 ODI's provided some extra room for my hands and far more comfortable. Even the younger folks who clock more hours than I do on my ski than I do, and far more aggressively than I do (I'm 68 years old), have no complaints on the bar width / grip size.

Your SXR 1500 is whole different animal than my STX 12f, but changing grips should be pretty much the same thing, except the width and angles of the bars. It's all up to personal preference / what you like and feels better in your hands. Ten different folks can have 10 different preferences / opinions about the same ski.

Thread Information