Cylinder head resurfacing

2005 RXT 215 Supercharged, stock.

Had overheating issues and completed the bottle test to come to the conclusion that I had a bad head gasket. Removed head and had it resurfaced. The machine shop had to remove 12/1000, is this too much?

Will I be okay with this if I use the factory head gasket from a 300? I have read that the 300 gasket is 14/1000 thicker than the factory 215 head gasket.

Also thinking of going with the RIVA open loop cooling. I am running in fresh water only and always flush after each use as well as winterize the entire thing each year. Proís and Conís of the open loop cooling?

I am also going to be using ARP studs when reinstalling the head.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by AnytimeRacing View Post
    2005 RXT 215 Supercharged, stock.

Had overheating issues and completed the bottle test to come to the conclusion that I had a bad head gasket. Removed head and had it resurfaced. The machine shop had to remove 12/1000, is this too much?

Will I be okay with this if I use the factory head gasket from a 300? I have read that the 300 gasket is 14/1000 thicker than the factory 215 head gasket.

Also thinking of going with the RIVA open loop cooling. I am running in fresh water only and always flush after each use as well as winterize the entire thing each year. Pro’s and Con’s of the open loop cooling?

Your just fine using the stock head gasket with only 12 tho machined from the head... don't go thicker... take advantage of the slightly higher compression

I'm a big advocate of open loop cooling, especially for fresh water riders. You have an unlimited supply of cooling water this way and the thermostat that comes with the Riva open loop cooling kit does a great job of regulating temps. The best part of running open loop cooling is you you can have your ride plate modified by Jim's Performance which will gain you 2-3 mph.

don't forget to use the discount code greenhulk when completing the checkout process in the forums store as it will save you some $$$

RIVA Sea-Doo 185/215/255/260 Open Loop Cooling Kit

Our Open Loop Cooling Kit dramatically reduces engine operating temperatures for improved performance & reliability. Also allows installation of RIVA...
    RS1013-50-1 $389.95

ARP/RIVA Sea Doo Head Stud Kit for 185/215/255/260/300 HP Engines

Our ultra high strength cylinder head stud kit is essential equipment when upgrading internal components on your high boost Sea Doo engine. Precision...
    RS10050-HSK $199.95

OEM Sea Doo Head Gasket for 4-Tec Engines

Genuine Sea Doo 4-Tec head gasket. The head gasket must be replaced any time the head is removed.
    420950770 $92.49

4-tec Open Loop Ride Plate Conversion

This is a conversion service performed to your ride plate. Turn around time is approximately 5 days. Once your order is placed please ship your ride...
    00 conversion $610.00

Thread Information