2000 Jet Ski 1100 STX DI oil tank: how full is full?

How full does "full" look like on the oil reservoir? At this level (see pic), my ski kept losing power and would only idle. Waiting few minutes would return power, but only for few minutes at a time. Relatively calm water, had already been riding off and on for 2 hours. Ski fully serviced for summer, this was first ride. I assume oil was full at beginning of ride, and I used to be able to ride all day without checking oil. No interior leaks apparent; evidence at exhaust did not indicate burning excess oil. I have had my ski since new; always well-serviced and zero problems. Most reliable thing I ever bought. Maybe dealer didn't fill oil tank? How full does it have to be?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1384.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	46.7 KB 
ID:	441649  

+1
    Welcome aboard, Michele!

You assumed that the tank was full??? You don't check it before each ride?

Do you know if the oil hoses have been replaced? How about the bearings on the oil pump drive coupling? You really need to insure that both of these are in good shape!

That's not really an answer, and the same evasiveness the dealer gave me. Of course I checked, and it didn't look full, but the dealer said that is "full." I am asking other opinions because there is no indicator line and I have to check it myself these days. I have always had the benefit of my machines being perfectly serviced and checked before every ride by a knowledgeable person. So now that I need to do it myself sometimes, I'm asking. If you don't consider yourself knowledgeable on my question, don't answer. Your sarcasm and condescension are unwelcome.

Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post
    Welcome aboard, Michele!

You assumed that the tank was full??? You don't check it before each ride?

Do you know if the oil hoses have been replaced? How about the bearings on the oil pump drive coupling? You really need to insure that both of these are in good shape!

+1
    Nobody here knows if your dealer filled it or not. Full means just that, oil up to the top.

Another thing you should do on that 'Ski is the cooling system mod for the EMM.

+1
    There is oil level indicator in the upper right corner on the LCD display. Use that to determine "full". There are no indicator marks on the oil tank itself. I fill mine to the bottom of the oil tank filler neck, which is slightly less than full. Anyway, you should "always" visually check the oil level as part of your pre-ride check. This is referenced in the owners manual. I'm sure you know that a low oil indicator will trigger SLOW mode (protected) with an oil indicator light. You can't always count on dealerships to do things correctly. That's why most people perform their own maintenance.

If you come here asking for help, don't be a dick and disrespect others.

+1
    No that's not full, not even close. The indicator on the dash should show that. That tank will hold a gallon of oil easy. Was it going into slow mode and a warning light on the dash coming on and maybe the overheat light coming on ? Is there a good stream coming put the pisser ? Just because a service was done at the dealer does not mean everything that should be done was and that they know it all. They won't pull the cooling lines off the stator cover and make sure the cover and fittings are clear nor will they pull the cooling lines off the emm to make sure those fittings are clear. If there are any restrictions the emm could be over heating. Have you done a compression check to make sure everything is good internally ? If the oil system was run low or broken open was it primed correctly afterwards ? There's a ton of things that can be causing those symptoms. We can't tell you exactly what's wrong with your ski but we can ask questions and give you things to look at so you can find out what's wrong and fix it. Steve was being anything but evasive. He knows his shit along with others here and you would be doing yourself a favor by listening to them.
    Last edited by Rodsatheart; 11-06-2018 at 05:37 AM.

+1
    Gee, I guess we're all evasive and condescending...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post
    Gee, I guess we're all evasive and condescending...
    Right.

Lmfao !!!!

Thread Information