Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Exclamation Help! Jet pump, Impeller & Other Questions!!

Hi!!

I've had many successes with help from people on this site already so thought I would post some other questions I have!! Any help or info is much appreciated! I have only just purchased this as a non runner...

First, I removed my jet pump so I can run it on the drive to make sure it's running ok before taking it to the sea. Does the area around the base look correct?? Seems to have a lot of sealant around there? Then the inside was full of sand, is this normal? Is there anything I should do prior to running it? Then I have uploaded a vid of the impeller, does it look ok to you people? Should I file off the rough edges and nicks etc?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20181104_191120.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	95.3 KB 
ID:	441631Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20181104_191108.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	70.6 KB 
ID:	441632

Next I was looking to check the filter on the exhaust water injection, is it this one cos if so I can't get it to budge...

Name:	20181104_191425.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	78.1 KB 
ID:	441633

Lastly!! The 2 stroke oil container keeps overflowing from the bottle? Is this normal? I appreciate it could be too full but I didn't think it was originally!? (But I could be wrong)! There doesn't seem to be any seal or anything at the top, it just pushes in? I keep getting large puddles of oil in the hull

Name:	20181104_191134.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	47.0 KB 
ID:	441636

Thanks in advance!!

+1
    The oil tank thing is a known issue. Put a couple of O-rings around the sensor bung and shove it back in. Add a hose clamp around the tank neck.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    For the exhaust water screen check, remove the small hose clamp and the hose from the nipple, then use a six point deep socket to loosen the brass fitting.

Remove all the sand from the jet pump.

Quote Originally Posted by Mockingee View Post
    The oil tank thing is a known issue. Put a couple of O-rings around the sensor bung and shove it back in. Add a hose clamp around the tank neck.
    Thats great thanks! Just ordered some o rings an will give it a go when they arrive!

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    For the exhaust water screen check, remove the small hose clamp and the hose from the nipple, then use a six point deep socket to loosen the brass fitting.

Remove all the sand from the jet pump.
    Is it the fitting I pictured? The upper one if you like? Thanks..

+1
    You have a sandy pump because the pump is sucking up sand from the bottom of the lake/ocean/etc that you're riding in. Try and shut it off in deeper water. There's a good chance all of that is getting pumped through your engine (though the screen probably does a good job of keeping it out.

The water jackets of these engines are painted to prevent corrosion, running water and sand across them is not a good idea.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by sdlvx View Post

The water jackets of these engines are painted to prevent corrosion...
    There is no paint on the inside of the engine water jackets (where the cooling water flows). Just cast aluminum.

That said, it is not a good thing to be pumping silt or sand through the engine cooling system.

There is supposed to be a plastic mesh filter right at the jet pump feed into the cooling system (postage stamp sized black plastic part, tucked inside the main pump nozzle, on right hand side).

There is another mesh screen (on the big exhaust pipe) for the exhaust water injection, and the metered flow orifice itself. These don't like sand particles.

And the thermostat assembly doesn't particularly enjoy sand/grit particles.

In really bad cases the engine water jackets can accumulate sand/slit inside that settles out to become fairly solid. If that happens, the engine may need to be taken apart to get it all out.

Hooked it up to a hose pipe today via the main water in hose, but unfortunately the hose came out and then the hose drained inside the hull an ended up with lots of water filled with sand and silt! Doesn’t look like it’s ever been flushed!? It also leaked water from the top rail so gonna have to change the gaskets I think!

I also had a lot of oil in the hull? I know the tank is over flowing a little but seemed like more than that! Can they leak oil from anywhere else? Hoses look ok?

Also found this hose, I'm unsure what it's for or where it goes if anyone can help!? It seems to have a mesh over the end that looks like it could do with a new one if anyone knows where I can purchase one or what it's called??

Name:	20181105_155613.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	67.5 KB 
ID:	441669

Name:	20181105_155620.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	70.6 KB 
ID:	441670

Name:	20181105_155752.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	43.0 KB 
ID:	441671

Thanks!

+1
    Bilge siphon hose. Clean up the end, clean out any gunk/junk in the bottom of the hull, then reposition the hose inlet in bottom of hull.

If there are two siphon hoses then one goes along each side of the pump inlet, mesh screen(s) positioned towards the rear.

When the jet pump is running in the water it createas a suction that draws bilge water into the mesh screen, up to the plastic elbow and then out through the jet pump siphon tube(s).

The plastic elbow MUST be mounted up high. It also has a tiny breather hole in the elbow. That hole must not be clogged.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information