Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Jet pump Remove!

Hi,

Can anyone tell me how I get this pipe off? I've pulled it, tapped it with a hammer but just won't budge!?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20181103_133110.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	53.0 KB 
ID:	441586Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20181103_133110.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	53.0 KB 
ID:	441586

+1
    It's supposed to be just slipped in with an o-ring. But sometimes it seems they somehow get impossibly stuck. I had one that I ended up having to pull out on the base end, and ended up breaking it off inside the nozzle end

Quote Originally Posted by HiPeRcO View Post
    It's supposed to be just slipped in with an o-ring. But sometimes it seems they somehow get impossibly stuck. I had one that I ended up having to pull out on the base end, and ended up breaking it off inside the nozzle end
    Oh no! That’s not good! How is the whole tube assembly removed??
    Thanks..

+1
    Be patient, spray with a good penetrating spray like PB blaster & let it soak. Eventually it will give.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Kev View Post
    Oh no! That’s not good! How is the whole tube assembly removed??
    Thanks..
    The tube in the pump base has a flat o-ring (or 2) (more like a washer) and there is usually some sealant as well. So the sealant keeps in held to the pump base. Getting it to seal back up could be a bit of a trick once removed though, so as others have suggested try some penetrating oil on the nozzle side first. (How exactly does plastic corrode though? lol)

6. +1 by:

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Kev View Post
    ... How is the whole tube assembly removed??
    There is a 3/4” hose connection inside the hull, down low on the right, beside the pump tunnel inlet. Disconnect that hose, then the plastic water tube should wiggle back and out from the pump base.

If someone has smeared sealant around the plastic tube (factory did not use any sealant around the water tube where is passes into the hull), either inside the hull or on the back side at the pump base, try to remove (most of) the sealant so the tube can slide out.

+1
    FWIW the tubes I've encountered DO have factory sealant around them (not on the sealing surface but surrounding it as it passed through the hull), matching the sealant of the pump base and seemingly applied as the pump base was assembled....

+1
    FWIW the tubes I've encountered DO have factory sealant around them (not on the sealing surface but surrounding it as it passed through the hull), matching the sealant of the pump base and seemingly applied as the pump base was assembled....
    Sealant inside the hull or around the ‘spacer’ o-rings?

+1
    Sealant around/in the hole that goes through the hull.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170926_221743.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	59.5 KB 
ID:	441611Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170926_222414.jpeg 
Views:	26 
Size:	81.9 KB 
ID:	441612

+1
    Sealant around/in the hole that goes through the hull.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170926_221743.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	59.5 KB 
ID:	441611Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170926_222414.jpeg 
Views:	26 
Size:	81.9 KB 
ID:	441612
    Yeah, that whole water tube design is not great. The ‘real’ seal for the water tube is a single, square cut o-ring trapped between hull and pump base.

Given that the plastic water tube gets moved around and tugged on every time the jet pump nozzle is removed, it seems inevitable that the single inaccessible o-ring would leak. Actually removing the water tube from the hull further stresses/abrades that hidden o-ring seal. Replacing the o-ring requires removing the entire pump base, which is a complete hassle.

Almost inevitably water leaks develop where the water tube enters the hull. Sealant gets applied to reduce or eliminate (for a while, at least) the leakage. I have seen so many hulls with lots of extra sealant just layered on all around the water tube, both inside the hull and on the water side, I consider all of it to be a patch on the ‘likely to leak’ original design.

I now just assume every water tube seal is going to leak. I would generally smear some marine grade sealant around the water tube where it passes into the pump base, with the intent that the sealant would ‘assist’ the unseen o-ring in keeping water from seeping into the hull.

The upside, I suppose, is that generally the water tube seal leaks into the hull are fairly slow. If the hull is trailered and not left floating at anchor or docked for long time periods, the amount of water that gets inside the hull is generally quite manageable.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information