Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

+1
    I suspect the primary purpose the drains were added was to drain water from the footwells when the boat was out of the water, not so much while riding. A quick bump of the throttle is enough to get most water out while riding.

Quote Originally Posted by TimeBandit View Post
    Having just retroactively added a (DIY) foot-well drain system to my FX HO, I can add a few observations:

I basically modeled mine off the 2019 designs, as I had a spare thru-port available on my transom. Combination of CPVC & PEX tubing. Worked out great.

Yes - very useful out of the water! Rinsing the ski on the driveway, foot-wells had always filled-up, and an added chore to clear dry. Now, by the time I re-hang the hose, each well just has a remnant puddle left. So little remains, a wet towel would soak-up the rest. This alone, made the mod worth it !!

However, next to useless out on the water.
    Perhaps a manage expectation thing . . . but know the system does not drain well while on the water. If dry wells is what you want… rather blip the throttle for a second.
    Two reasons why the drains are not ideal on the water :
    a) gravity-drain systems, well, needs gravity - hello. The bottom of the wells are virtually even with outside water (draft), especially with the operator on and a full tank of gas. Add more cargo and some passengers, and the system brings water into the wells !! Yet consider I have an older hull here, this is DIY engineered, so maybe foot well heights vary among hull models & years. If this becomes an issue, I can see adding a cut-off valve to disable the system while out on the water.
    b) tubing is narrow. At least mine is. Does not facilitate much water volume movement against the already extremely week gravity forces. Can’t speak for OEM, but my DIY mod chose 1/2" PEX tubing, which again, flows pretty well out of the water.
    c ) Final observation is that the exit port being in the jet-pump void may not be a good choice. While not subjected to jet pressures, the system does transmit the "cupping" of trapped-air as wave enter and slap inside void whilst floating. I’d imagine the exhaust port drumming in that void could be transmitted as well – yet I stop short being I have a thru-hull exhaust presently.

+1
    Actually, you don't need to run the drains out the back, you can drill holes in the side--or even the bottom--of the hull. That's what they do on sit-on kayaks.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by LT1GMC View Post
    I suspect the primary purpose the drains were added was to drain water from the footwells when the boat was out of the water, not so much while riding. A quick bump of the throttle is enough to get most water out while riding.
    Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post
    Actually, you don't need to run the drains out the back, you can drill holes in the side--or even the bottom--of the hull. That's what they do on sit-on kayaks.

Was out on the ski again just yesterday (2nd time with this foot-well mod). As I mentioned previously, the system does not drain well in the water as the lowest section of the well (on my hull) is at sea-level. Furthermore, Yamaha's engineering choice to use the transom port as the exit, might prove to be a bad one. I played around in reverse several times to observe the system "pumping" water back into the wells! In reverse, the deflected jet, along with backward momentum, causes a positive pressure in the ride plate cavity. The addition of a inline check-valve may be applicable here... yet it would be one more thing to monitor and service. I'll likely add a ball-valve to disable the system while in the water.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    ... Yamaha's engineering choice to use the transom port as the exit ...

I played around in reverse several times to observe the system "pumping" water back into the wells! ... an inline check-valve may be applicable here...
    Perhaps Yamaha did include one-way check valves in the footwell drain lines.

http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthre...=1#post2984328

Some effort to implement, but it might work well to add another ‘bilge siphon’ tube to the jet pump nozzle, and connect the footwell drains to that. Suction while in the water, with engine running, and possibly no backflow even in reverse.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Perhaps Yamaha did include one-way check valves in the footwell drain lines.

. . . .

Some effort to implement, but it might work well to add another ‘bilge siphon’ tube to the jet pump nozzle, and connect the footwell drains to that. Suction while in the water, with engine running, and possibly no backflow even in reverse.
    Sure, that could be a check-valve of sorts. . . or could also be a simple union fitting, as it seems a different style hose is used. Are the 2019 parts fiche online yet? ... nomenclature could lend us an early clue.

I like your thinking, but I'd not want another syphon tube in the jet-stream.
    How about an electric pump. Wouldn't have to be all that powerful either. Could be auto-sense (load detecting), or just "on" with the ignition perhaps.

+1
    Okay, seems some 2019 fiche are just now starting to show up online. I took a look at the 2019 FX SVHO ans found the foot well drain system under "Bilge Pump" - yeah, that's mislabeled.
    Anyway, the part in K447's post above does indeed look to be a hose union... however, there is indeed also a check-valve in the system - just a bit further back before the exit. see part #5 in the attached pic.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fwd01_05.gif 
Views:	1142 
Size:	24.6 KB 
ID:	443004
    2019 FX SVHO

MSX 150 guy lives on Mr. GP1800's Avatar
    +1
    Okay, seems some 2019 fiche are just now starting to show up online. I took a look at the 2019 FX SVHO ans found the foot well drain system under "Bilge Pump" - yeah, that's mislabeled.
    Anyway, the part in K447's post above does indeed look to be a hose union... however, there is indeed also a check-valve in the system - just a bit further back before the exit. see part #5 in the attached pic.

2019 FX SVHO

I bought 4 of the footwell drain fittings. Im thinking of building something like this on my GP 1800. They are just rubber fittings that snap into a hole. Im not sure I like them. I will mess around with them a little more when I get the chance to see how I will make this work. Its really pretty simple. Drain fittings routed through hoses to the rear of the hull

Lake Lion
    +1
    Just hook it up to the siphon.

+1
    The system is crap! Hasnt got electric bilge pump! So when ypu need ot to take the water out it doesnt ! At least on mine! Beter to accelerate fast and water goes away!

I was thinking about adding something to my FX HO Cruiser for foot well drains. It's been a couple years with this system out. Does it work? Should I copy it? Does someone have an alternate solution that they like better? My ski sits on a floating lift and I don't want to stick my feet into scuzzy warm rain water every time I use it. I could care less what happens while I'm on the water though.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information