2015 VX Hull Problems / JetSki totally shot

I have a two to three year old 2015 VX that we purchased new from a local dealer.

It recently broke and they had to replace the fuel pump. At the same time, I noticed there was water in the Jet Ski when I returned it to the dock. When they did the repair, they water tested it and said it was fine. I used it two more times each time noticing (and draining) the water that was in the unit. I spoke with our repair guy and he suggested I put some fresh water in it and see if it drained, which it did by the next morning.

They thought there was a leak around the seal and so they took it into the shop and it ends up it has a huge hole in the bottom of it. Looks like there is a fair amount a deamination as well.

Apparently the entire engine is shot and the repair will be $13K plus the $1K for the tear down. I didn't even pay that much for it brand new and I only have 55 hours of use on the JetSki. We have the local shop come and do preventative maintenance on the JetSki two to three times a year.

Have other people had similar issues?

/Chris

+1
    Any pictures of the huge hole? Is the hole damage from an impact or beaching? How is the motor shot? Did it fill with water? Does The motor start and run?

Cant understand how you have got to this situation? What does the local shop say?

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by purpledread View Post
    I have a two to three year old 2015 VX that we purchased new from a local dealer.

It recently broke and they had to replace the fuel pump. At the same time, I noticed there was water in the Jet Ski when I returned it to the dock. When they did the repair, they water tested it and said it was fine.

I used it two more times each time noticing (and draining) the water that was in the unit. I spoke with our repair guy and he suggested I put some fresh water in it and see if it drained, which it did by the next morning.

They thought there was a leak around the seal and so they took it into the shop and it ends up it has a huge hole in the bottom of it. Looks like there is a fair amount a deamination as well.

Apparently the entire engine is shot and the repair will be $13K plus the $1K for the tear down. I didn't even pay that much for it brand new and I only have 55 hours of use on the JetSki. We have the local shop come and do preventative maintenance on the JetSki two to three times a year.

Have other people had similar issues?

/Chris
    Welcome

Where are you located?

How many different service shops have touched this machine?

Does it normally sit on a jet dock or lift, rather than a trailer?

Did the hull ever fill with water (sunk watercraft)?

What is wrong with the engine?

4. +1 by:

+1
    If a hole was punched in the hull by striking a submerged object, then your insurance would probably cover that. I have a friend who sucked gravel into the jet on his Seadoo RXP which locked up the jet, busting up the engine when it seized and it was covered by State Farm insurance. Another friend crashed his RXP into a dock, knocking a hole in the hull and sinking it. It was also covered by insurance (less deductible, of course)

We live in Tampa (Holiday) FL.

It's only ever been serviced by the local dealer we purchased it from.

We only use the JetSki to ride over to Anclote Key and back.

The JetSki normally sits on a floating dock. It's only been on a trailer before we purchased it and to get it to the shop as a result of this issue.

Apparently one of the engine cylinders is corroded most of the cost is fixing the cylinder plus $2K to fix the body.

We took it out two or three times and found water in it when we returned and we drained it. Appeared to be running fine during the maintenance after we returned from each of those uses.

I'm having trouble inserting an image, so here is a link to an image:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9ir4or8o8x..._1536.JPG?dl=0

/Chris

/Chris

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2F7FDC39-017D-4E0B-B78B-07AF46AE99F3.jpeg 
Views:	50 
Size:	90.2 KB 
ID:	441540

Hard to tell from the photo. My first impression is abrasion if not impact damage.

Some floating docks have pressure points where the hull rides up onto the dock. Repeated dock loading flexes/stresses the hull material or simply wears into the spot on the hull where it contacts the dock edge.

With only 50 hours on this JetSki, would it be possible for the stress to cause an issue like this?

The other JetSki is on the other dock and it's got more than twice as many hours of use with no issue.

/Chris

Thread Information